"Budget" Amplifiers

Silver Member
Username: W00b

Post Number: 200
I am looking to drive a pair of Axiom M60Ti's.. I was originally looking at the NAD C272 amplifier, which is "2 x 150W Minimum Continuous Power into 4/8 ohms" for $700

Recently I have came across outlaw audio, I haven't heard anything bad about them, and finding their products online is a TON easier!! They have a 200 watt monoblock amplifier for $325, if i get 2 that would make $650.

So my question is, would it be beneficial for me to get the outlaws, which are easier to find and will save me ~$50, or keep looking for NAD dealers? As quoted from another member on these boards, i too live in the audio desert, and finding a dealer that sells anything good is very hard to do. thanks

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 4072
I have the Outlaw Audio products and I think they are great, the 7100 and various M blocks. The M Block amplifiers are one of better ones that I have used.

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 606
Berny -
I'd like to hear more about the Outlaw monoblocks. Most of the people on Outlaw's message board are into H/T, and don't say much about music sound quality. Have you compared them to NAD? I was thinking of getting two of them, then down the road getting two more if I liked them to bi-amp my PSB's.

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1048
The Odyssey Khartigo $775 it is essentially a $3400 Amp under the Symphany line in Germany check it out www.odysseyaudio.com

Gold Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 1207
Having heard the Outlaw monoblocks on many occasions, I think they are really good for the money. Of course, you will need a decent preamp.

The MOFO has spoken.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1208
For the money, I think the Outlaw Monoblocks are great, especially when paired with a decent preamp.

The MOFO has spoken.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1209
Sorry for the double post, but received an error message.

The MOFO has redundantly spoken.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4075
Stu,
Actually I used a NAD T773 as a pre/pro for 5 Outlaw 200 M-Blocks coupled to some Cremonas (I did not use all 7 channels). I don't think that they have a particular sound, being that the source was a NAD, I did not hear anything out of the ordinary besides the increased definition of strings and vocals, my wife (the one with the golden ears), noticed the woodwinds as being more refined and pronounced (her words, not mine). Truthfully, I am not much to describe sounds and things that I hear, I leave that to the intellectuals, I am more attuned to what I like and rarely pay attention to others' description of what they hear. I honestly did not think that the T773 needed any further amplification but I did it anyway. It did not stay on very long as I thought it was overkill for the 773 (who said that?).

So I have relegated the M-Blocks to a lowly Kenwood KRF9070D with all 7 power amps connected. Don't laugh, but I really like the sound of the Kenwood better, my snobby friends couldn't figure that out either. The Cremonas will soon move to the Kenwood and Outlaw Combo and the Axioms will be with the T773.

Silver Member
Username: Audioholic

Post Number: 168
Tawaun said "The Odyssey Khartigo $775 it is essentially a $3400 Amp under the Symphany line in Germany check it out" I did. They don't LIST a "khartigo" model amp. Nor do they have any single model listed for under $1K. Do you ever get ANYTHING RIGHT?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1211
Paul, consider the source.

The MOFO has spoke.

Bronze Member
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 56
Actually, Tawaun is correct this time. Klaus is well known to neglect the web site. The Khartago has been out quite awhile(2 years?). The only real way to follow Odyssey is from Klaus' posts on audiocircle's Odyssey circle. http://audiocircle.com/circles/viewforum.php?f=10

Did I just defend Tawaun???

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 2305
LOL Quinn, at least you didn't just defend Paul (not Bayless, the Paul of CerwinVega infamy).

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 608
Berny -
Thanks for the info. I totally agree with you on not liking to describe certain sounds. One person's bright is another's detailed; one person's warm is another's muddy, etc. I think when my annual raise comes in January I'll pick two up and try them out. From what everyone has said about them it seems like a good gamble. Maybe I'll go to their page and try to see if anyone in my area owns them and is willing to let me hear them.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1049
Bayless I'll let you on to a little secret even though I think your a popus Pr1ck,go down to the bottom of the page on the Odyssey website,to reviews and pull up the reviews you will find what you need on the Khartigo and the Epiphony and the rest of their great lineup.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1051
Quinn what the hell do you mean this time, I dont say things I dont know about in audio or anything else in life.If I dont know a product I dont try to judge it unlike some people on this forum,so get your story straight,and yeah you dont need to defend me,hell lets get real it deffinetly isnt anything in audio you know that I dont know.Bayless what do you want to know about Odyssey for?you aint gonna listen to them we all know you dont listen to audio,what are you gonna do pull up the review and read the measurements and ignore the review.I did get that right didnt I?

Bronze Member
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 57
Calm down T. just having a little fun. When have I ever gotten into it with you over anything you've said? Never comes to mind.

Silver Member
Username: W00b

Post Number: 201
how many amplifiers can you hook to 1 receiver?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1055
Alright Quinn.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 2310
TW, where oh where is that Lings review??? You're killin' me, man!

Silver Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 405
you could NEVER get me to own another piece of NAD gear. warm and polite are like poison to me. i like my onkyo 55wpc 5 channel surround reciever MUCH better than my NAD 50wpc (actual after 3dB headroom) stereo reciever when operating in stereo.

the "cheap" onkyo (seen way too many haters here) images 100X better than that dead muffled NAD ever wishes it could and has much more treble detail.

if you're a ruthlessly detailed treble freak like me... avoid NAD like the plague. get rotel instead. if you too share the more common craving for warmth, then you too might like NAD. i hate it like poison. i spit on NAD *phtooey!*

LOL

if you want some other options in the amplifier bang for the buck category... look into class-d amps and IRD MR-100s or Norh Le Amp IIs.

check the amplifier forum out. i have a thread there titled "class-h" but meand to say "d" in which a few peple weigh in on this technology that's getting mostly rave reviews.

DIY fans love their hypex UCD amps.

personally, i'm going after a panasonic SA-XR 55 or 70 class-d reciever for $240-300 delivered. those units have been getting alot of thumbs up in the bargain basement.

class-d amps are usually reviewed as being super detailed without sounding harsh with their biggest weakness being that they don't like to be rode hard.

food for thought.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1056
Sorry Eddie still in Texas ill be back Tomorrow and give the review tomorrow,sorry everyone.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4081
Dustin,
The amount of amplifiers you can hook up depends on the receiver.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us