Need to buy an amp...not sure integrated/pre..for a pair of bookshelf speakers

Unregistered guest
Hi Guys!

Need some advice.....just bought a pair of old Bose 201's Series II speaker (8 ohms) from an old lady, rarely used and want to connect them to my computer. So i need an amp and i'm not sure how much power i need. I'm a student in India on a shoe-string budget, live in a small room, so dont need anything very powerful. ..Also, would there be a huge diff in sound quality getting something branded or built up (for my needs)

Thanks so much! Would appreciate a quick reply!
N

Silver Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 367
if you just want an amp for a PC and want a SUPER CHEAP amplifier, get the sonic impact class-t. if you're sitting right by your speakers, you don't need that much power. most PC speaker amps are less than 10wpc anyways, but the class-t (only $30 usd) is getting alot of favorable reviews.

i don't know what your power connections are in india, but the class-t can run off of 8 batteries, you could take it anywhere you want, and use it with a portable CD player etc.

make sure that your bose speakers are shielded before you put them next to a monotor unless it's a plasma unit. if you see rainbow patterns when you put the speakers close to the screen, don't use them.

here's a review for the sonic impact... you can't get anything this cheap...
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/sonicimpact/t.html

this amp should give you adequate power. i'm using a 20wpc yamaha boombox right now with 89dB speakers, and am not even pushing the amp hard.

Neil M
Unregistered guest
Hey Thanks! Looking up sonic and will ask a friend to get it for me. Its excellent at $30!

Silver Member

Post Number: 381
glad to help.

if you really wanted to go super hi fi for just a little bit more, you could always go with a monsoon mm-700 system that includes amps, a subwoofer and awesome planar speakers for about $100.

i'm getting rid of my decent current system for $550 magnepan full range planar speakers. planars are super fast and detailed, and don't sound boxy.

if you do go with the sonic impact, it can be bought for $30 at
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-952

Unregistered guest
i wana buy kicker solo beric S12L7 two piece , which amplifier give me the best perfomance

Unregistered guest
i want to buy kicker solo beric S12L7 two piece , which kicker amplifier give me the best perfomance

Silver Member

Post Number: 430
if you're using kicker... you're most likely using 4 ohm car audio gear.

most affordable home hifi gear hates 4 ohm loads. the best gear for car audio in home is "high current" amplification.

DON'T use typical
sony
pioneer
yamaha
jvc
denon
or
onkyo amps with car speakers... you're asking for trouble.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us