Separate volume control for speaker pairs

Unregistered guest
I have a TOA amplifier that we use to power 2 pairs of ceiling-mounted speakers in a large room. I also have a microphone at the front of the room for announcements. The problem is that with the current configuration there is one main volume control for both pairs of speakers(on the amplifier). So when I use the microphone at the front of the room the front speakers bleed into the microphone and cause feedback. I need that amount of volume for the rear speakers but the front speakers could be at a lower volume. I was wondering if there was something available that would allow me to have independent volume control for the front and rear speakers while still using the original amplifier.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 3804
You could get a potentiometer from radio shack and use it to control the other speakers.

Unregistered guest
I would recomend a Russound volume control module. This connects between your amplifier and speakers and allows you to control the volume of that pair of speakers. In your case you would need two volume controls, connect them between the amp and each pair (front and back) and now you have individually controlled speakers. They can be used as impedance matching or non-impedance matching to insure your amp is kept safe and eliminating the need for a speaker selector. I hope this helps. We carry most Russound products and would be happy to help you find what you need.

www.digitalhsolutions.com

Username: Alt24

Phlipsburg, Montana United states

Post Number: 2
dhs is right that will work that is all i had to do to mine i was having the same problem

Silver Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 356
there are alot of speaker level switchers and volume controls available.

do you know if your speakers are 8 ohms or not? if they are, MCM electronics has a reasonably priced stereo speaker level volume control for just $25 (50-6215)

and even cheaper route, as silly as it sounds, would be to break one of the speaker wires for eack speaker that's too loud and insert a light socket! you could even further control the volume by selecting bigger and biger lights to soak up more and more of the power.

i read about that trick in an audio magazine a long time ago. the downside would be that your speaker would short out every time a bulb blows.

you're not using an omnidirectional mic are you? this could be the cause of the problem. you want to use a cardoid mic as it picks sounds up more from the direction the mic is pointing. omnidirectional amps pick them up from all directions equally.

probably "the best" solution might be to use a feedback surpressor, but i think those can be a little on the pricey side.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us