Center to match Kef 104.2's

Bronze Member
Username: Merton

Post Number: 17
I'm looking for a small center channel speaker to match my Kef 104.2's, and NAD 762. It needs to be pretty small to pass the Wife Acceptance Factor. We have a Sony 42" GWIII LCD tv. I currently have an older Mirage MCsi (19.5x12x8"), which my wife has said must go, even if I build a shelf for it.

I checked speakers out at our local Tweeter/HiFi Buys. The salesman sniffed that only a Martin Logan would our TV. However, it is Butt-Ugly and $ 1k. Any suggestions for something under ~ $500? I'm considering a Kef wall-mount speaker (Ci 200QS),which I would build into one of our cabinet doors.

Thanks,

Jim

Silver Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 435
James,

I find one KEF KHT2005 "egg" makes a great center, sounds fine with older KEF mains, and has a high WAF. Ours sits on the TV. Since the base has bolt-holes, the whole thing can be configured in all sorts of ways for simple mounting to walls, ceilings etc.

Bronze Member
Username: Merton

Post Number: 18
John,

I had to nix the Ci 200QS - no magnetic shielding, & it would be several inches from a D-VHS unit. I wound up ordering a Model 100 center speaker from a KEF dealer in South Carolina - 300 miles away. He gave me a fair price, $ 400 (20% off list).The Atlanta dealers and the only internet Kef dealer I know of were not interested in ordering this discontinued speaker, even though I had an email from KefUSA saying they were available as of last week.

Jim

Silver Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 445
Jim,

Nothing wrong with "discontinued" - so is the 104.2! The Model 100 looks great. Though I might worry about the WAF. I think Uni-Q (the "egg" has it, too) is particularly a good idea for a center speaker.

Let us know how it goes. Remember speakers, if new, really do need time to break in and deliver the full range.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us