Low Wattage vs High Wattage Reciever

Username: Duckmanx

Post Number: 6
Hi, Audio Newb here.

When I was shopping for speakers, a salesman in an electronic shop asked me if I had a "high wattage receiver" or a "low wattage receiver"
I didnt know.

I kinda know the difference, with low wattage the watts can reach the output maximum of the receiver at MAX volume, whereas the High wattage keeps a constant 100w current to the speaker. Correct me if I am wrong.

If anyone can tell me if this model is "low" or "high" I would be very greatful.

2076_2047433_35375%2C00.html,http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detai l/0,,2076_2047433_35375,00.html

Thanks,
duckmanX

Post Number: 7
2076_2047433_35375%2C00.html,http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detai l/0,,2076_2047433_35375,00.html

Post Number: 9
sorry my links are screwing up and I cant seem to edit my thread.

It is the HTP230-S by PIONEER
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/older/models/0,,2076_2047433,00.html

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3305

" ... with low wattage the watts can reach the output maximum of the receiver at MAX volume, whereas the High wattage keeps a constant 100w current to the speaker. Correct me if I am wrong."

Yep, you're wrong. Never play your system with the volume at "Max". It has nothing to do with how many watts you have; just don't do it. Current is part of the equation to figure the total wattage. Put "Ohm's Law" into a search engine. Amplifiers do not keep a constant wattage to a speaker if you are playing music.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3306

" ... with low wattage the watts can reach the output maximum of the receiver at MAX volume, whereas the High wattage keeps a constant 100w current to the speaker. Correct me if I am wrong."

Yep, you're wrong. Never play your system with the volume at "Max". It has nothing to do with how many watts you have; just don't do it. Current is part of the equation to figure the total wattage. Put "Ohm's Law" into a search engine. Amplifiers do not keep a constant wattage to a speaker if you are playing music.

Did you ask the saleperson to explain what the question meant?

Post Number: 10
Thanks Jan Vigne,

So the term I should be asking is what is the difference between...

"Low Current" vs "High Current"

Can anyone enlighten me?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Well, at least can anyone tell me if the Pioneer HTP-230 is low or high current?

bumblebee
Unregistered guest
for the sake of discussion, i'd say low current :-)

"high current" amps show their current capabilities in their spec sheets. and they mention that they're high current in their brochures.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
#$@&%

Dang... Thanks Bumblebee

Any chance anyone can tell me how you can tell if a speaker is magnetically shieleded or not (no manual no website no specs). I can open the box housing.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3406

Place it within a few inches of a CRT type TV or computer monitor. If the picture distorts it is not shielded.

Silver Member
Username: Cory

Canada

Post Number: 175
do it to a cheep T.V. The effects of the magnet can be permanent
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us