Home Theater Receiver Help

jataty81
Unregistered guest
I am looking for a home theater receiver for 100% movies. The room size is 12' x 20' x 8'. The speakers will be Mirage Nanosat, Omnisat Micro or Orb Audio (I am currently leaning to the Mirage speakers, however I have more research and listening to do).

I was thinking about the following receivers (in no particular order):

Denon AVR2805
Yamaha RXV1500
Pioneer Elite VSX52TX
Marantz SR7500

I chose these based on features, availability, and price. I am only concerned for movie playback, however I would like to be able to plug it into my integrated amp to use as a tuner.

Any help is appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 109
Among those that you have mentioned I would go with the Marantz. Just sounds better!

edster922
Unregistered guest
I agree with Arthur but question the need for such a high quality receiver and speakers if you're doing 100% HT...unless you like cranking up the volume of dramas that have classical or jazz soundtracks, the wham-bam-kaboom sounds of most Hollywood blockbusters don't really require a whole lot of finesse and plus the Dolby Digital soundtracks are usually mixed so well as to be very forgiving of decent-but-not-great quality gear.

Just my 2 cents, if you're money's just burning a hole in your pocket then who am I to stop you?

jatay81
Unregistered guest
For the speakers I was looking for something small and forgiving of placement. For the receiver I do not care so much about the sound as I do the processing. I have a 2-channel system that I will use for all critical listening.

I do not have any experience with home theater, so all recommendations are welcome.

edster922, what speakers would you recommend that would be cheaper for a 5.1 system (I already own a REL Storm III sub).

edster922
Unregistered guest
I'm not familiar with the speakers you listed nor your subwoofer, but once I did hear a pair of Mirage towers at someone's house which sounded horrible. (That might've been poor setup plus they were using an Onkyo 8211 or 8511 which is not very good for 2-channel music anyhow.)

> For the speakers I was looking for something small and forgiving of placement.

I'm not exactly clear on what you mean by "forgiving of placement"---I'm not sure there is such a thing, proper placement is ESSENTIAL with any type of speakers. How do you plan on positioning these speakers in relation to your listening/viewing position?

> For the receiver I do not care so much about the sound as I do the processing.

Since this will not be your critical music listening system, I'd go cheap---a $230 JVC RX-F10 all digital receiver, a $300 Onkyo 602, or a $400 Pioneer 1014. All three should have plenty of sound processing options, especially the Onkyo and Pioneer.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us