HK AVR430 keeps shutting itself off

Username: Ahramlee

Post Number: 1
I've had my H/K AVR430 for about 5 months and just this past week-end it suddenly shut itself off. When I turned it on, it just cut itself off over and over again. I thought maybe it over-heated since it's driving 7 infinity kappas (400's and center), and I had just got done watching Kill Bill 1/2 in DTS at fairly high volume in my HT. The unit's housing was fairly hot--but I can't say it was any hotter than any other days that I've played movies and music through it. I decided to let it cool down and check it out the next day.

The next day, it seemed fine. But about an hour into the movie, it shut itself off again. Again, I cut it on several times, but it just went off every time. I got frustrated and reset the unit. But even after resetting it, it just kept going off. I decided to wait about 30 minutes, then cut it on again, and for some reason it started working again without cutting itself off.

Since then I have been on the road, and I've not been able to use it. But I did send an email to H/K about the problem. The response they gave me was there may be a problem with the connector/s when the unit heats up. Not sure what they're referring to, but I can only imagine they're referring to some connectors inside the unit that may be coming loose and causing the unit to shut down. H/K suggests I take the unit to a service center. I will re-post once I find out more.

In the meantime, however, has anyone else had issues such as what I'm experiencing with any H/K AVR's?

Frederic
Unregistered guest
I had the same problem with two previous brand-new HK630 that I bought from Fry's, and I had to return those. One big problem with HK receivers is that they are so hot that I am not going to have peace in mind. Now, I am using Denon AVR-2105, and I am happy with it. HK needs to look into this problem with their future receivers.

Anonymous

Had this problem and an authorized dealer did not,could not fix it. Could be because of too many parts going bad. HK sent me a re-furbish one. Suck part is that I had mine for only 1 month and kept it in perfect shape but now ending up with someone's receiver that is not well kept. Seems to be a problem with the new HK receivers.

Post Number: 5
Here's an update on my AVR430: I dropped it off at an authorized H/K service center. Hopefully, they'll be able to pin-point the problem. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Anonymous

I have a Harmon Kardon AVR 125 and am having the same problem. Any further info is appreciated!

Post Number: 8
Well, it's been about 2 weeks since I dropped it off at the service center, and they have not yet looked at it. They're telling me that it could take upwards of a month before they get to look at it. Will keep everyone posted on any new status.

Only Mike
Unregistered guest
I've got an AVR 635 and they do run hot but no problem with mine. Make sure your cabinet has plenty of airflow/space around the unit. I added two little tiny compute fans (silent ones) in the back of my cabinet just in case.
mz

Bronze Member
Username: Rd11

Post Number: 22
Only Mike, what speakers are you using with the AVR 635? Are you happy with the sound for music and HT?

Only Mike
Unregistered guest
Using Polk 5.1 but I'm getting two more soon. Very sweet. Polk RM6900's, here's the link
http://www.polkaudio.com/home/products.php?category=2&speaker=397&POLKAUDIO=67f5 50f78f02dad8473b7d445546fadc

The sound is very mild and fairly neutral and comfortable.
mz

Anonymous

Harman Kardon AVR 100
125/V 5/AMP Fuse blows as soon as I turn the power on.
Does anyone have an idea what might be causing this problem?

Anonymous

Anonymous,

This is an obvious sign that you have good (strong) amplifier. Its capacitors need so mouch power to be fild and its power supply drains so much of this power that your fuses are two weak to stand up that preassure.

My Rotel RB-1070 does the same (rate power consumption ca. 400 watt).

My HK receiver (avr 430, rated power consumption ca 900 watt is not capable of doing that).

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us