Help wanted

Username: Weaver

Post Number: 2
If I use Y connector from my DVD player output and split the signal (R and L) to two receivers input simultaneously, can I take advantage of two receivers added power with one source?
What do you think?

Bronze Member
Username: Usa2k4

Post Number: 46
Are they multichannel AV receivers or just stereo receivers? Check to see if they have pre outs including subwoofer outputs?

To use with a multichannel receiver, the DVD player needs to be connected via the digital coaxial/optical output to the digital input on the receiver. You can use the stereo in/out but you'll not get proper surround sound from DVD's.

Post Number: 3
Thanks, Kevin. Then...is there such thing as digital coax Y splitter? I do not see pre out, but what does that"pre" stand for?
Don

Bronze Member

Post Number: 47
Yep, there are digital coax/optical boxes available out there that will give you more outputs from a single source. But please forget the idea of using 2 receivers to add more power. If your receiver has preouts, you can buy power amps with whatever wattage you like or even using a more powerful powered subwoofer in most instances would give you more "punch". :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 48
Forget about your question. Pre or preamp stands for preamplifier which amplifies the extremely weak signal from devices such as phono, tape deck, tuner, CD/DVD player... before that signal goes to the amplifier.

Post Number: 4
I get your point! I guess I was obsessed by a thought of having to use the other receiver, but I will be happy to pursue what you suggest.
Thanks, man...
Don

Bronze Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 17
LOL......

The origional question just gave me a HS flashback and made me laugh. I used to do that all the time but slightly differently when I was in HS.

I used to DJ HS dances and I would use two receivers for power(One to power each pair of speakers), and used the Y adaptors to plug the two CD players into each receiver.

That way whichever CD was playing would play though both stereos.

Oh...that was fun:-) The kids liked it too. I'll bet I got over 100decibles in the school cafeteria.......HEH

Post Number: 5
I understand the fact that having more power would increase the dynamic range as well as capability of raise the db level. Were you able to notice the increase in dynamic range in your set up or just the loudness in comparison to having only one but double sized power receiver?
Thanks
Don

Bronze Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 19
What I did was different from what the origional poster was asking because he was trying to run one set of speakers off two receivers to boost his dynamic range & db level.

I never made a comparison by running all the speakers on the same receiver, so I have no basis to make a comparison. Basically, all I was doing was running two separate systems, but using the same CD player as a souce for both receivers. It worked just fine.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 49
I didn't mean to try running a set of speakers from 2 receivers. No one would want to do it either :-).

In applications like Paul mentioned above (cafeteria), it's OK to run different speaker systems from different amps/receivers. However, in a home theater setup, you do not want to run more than 1 speaker for each channel, except for the .1 subwoofer channel. Even in the old days where my system was used primarily for stereo listening, I wouldn't want to listen to 2 left's and 2 right's at the same time. :-)

Post Number: 6
I will try both and tell you how I feel.
But bed first!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us