How would this work?

Username: Macjr8586

Post Number: 7
okay the other day this guy that i know was just going to throw away a 10 inch rockford fosgate home theater sub that is in perfect condition and it still works! so i took it of course, and now i want to hook it up to my reciver on my home theater.... problem is the connections arent the same. the connection for the current sub is a rca jack and the connection on the RF subwoofer is like a normal speaker with positive and negative wires. is there a way that i can get a dongle or something that switches that single rca port to a regular positive negative set of wires?

any suggestions would be helpful! thanks

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 134
What you have there is a passive subwoofer, meaning it's not powered. You have to provide the power from an amp or receiver through speaker wires.

Post Number: 8
right... but then how would i hook it up to my reciver? i have a yamaha htr-5630 reciver and i have no clue how to hook it up since its a passive sub

Bronze Member
Username: Natediggidy

Baltimore, Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 70
Does the sub have inputs and outputs or just inputs? Does it have a pair of inputs or just one?

Post Number: 9
it has a pair of inputs... im guessing one is left and the other is right

Anonymous

Corey, Run the sub from your B speaker output on the receiver if there are no OUTPUTS for the speakers on the back of the sub.....

Post Number: 10
ok but if i run the sub from the B speaker output on the reciver then i have to switch it to the B speakers... which means i lose my front two channels becaue they are on A output

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
ok mabie my sub has outputs and i dont know it? im gonna put a pic up of it to help clarify some things....
http://webpages.charter.net/tddclan529/rf.jpg

see the series of 6 screws on both sides? im guessing one is left and one is right? and mabie it has a input and output? i have no clue, i think there was some lables above them before but now they are gone so they fell off? if it does have a input and output then would i just hook up my 2 front channels to the outputs on the sub and the sub inputs to the outputs on the reciver?

thanks!

Username: West40

Canandaigua, NY USA

Post Number: 2
Yes that is the case! You will need to figure out which is in and which is out. Could be tough though. You could use a 9volt battery and touch the + and - of the battery to two screws that you think are for input. I would think that they will run from left to right in this order. left+ left- right+ right-. The woofer will make a scratchy sound. It may however do the same on the output terminal as well so this test may not work. Be sure to check the other screw terminals on the other side to be sure that this is not the case. If they do not make the woofer click than these are the output terminals. If it clicks on both terminals than go to plan B of using the B speaker out on the receiver. However if you use the B speaker output for the sub only, then when you run the system turn on both a and b speakers on the front of your receiver and the sub will get the same output as your fronts. You can then control the crossover and input volume at the sub if it has the controls for that. I hope this is of some help to you. Good Luck, If I can help further please post!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
ok i will try those test... but just to forwarn you if plan A doesnt work there is no option for me to turn both speakers A and B on my reciver... its either or

Canandaigua, NY USA

Post Number: 3
So your receiver will not run both A and B speakers at the same time? Last option. Go to your local HiFi store and get a speaker selector box. Be sure it is impedance matching so you will not harm your receiver. Then hook up the fronts and the sub to the box and turn on both the fronts and the sub from the box. These boxes will allow you to hook up multiple speakers to one speaker output on a receiver safely. You may loose some power but all the speakers will then work.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 145
And it will sound terrible with no more than 50W ever running to it.

Only good options are to buy a monoblock amp that can output more than 150W or get a powered sub. It's probably cheaper just to sell the Rockford Fosgate and get a powered sub with the money.

Canandaigua, NY USA

Post Number: 5
Thanks Kano! You are correct... All of the options I have laid out will not yield performance. But performance was never mentioned, just how can I get it to work. A mono block amp will work but I agree with you purchasing a powered sub will not be much more cash..
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us