Athena speakers...

Username: Rd11

Post Number: 4
I have read numerous rants posted about NEVER going to Best Buy to listen to and/or buy speakers. With that said, I have read many favorable reviews on Athena and currently with a $20 off discount in hand I can buy Athena ASB-2 bookshelf speakers (pair) for $180 + tax at this store. I, like many, am trying to build a HT system on a tight budget, but with good components. Any opinions pro/against these speakers would be appreciated and please keep in mind the price. Would also appreciate any recommendations on a good matching receiver for 70% Movies/TV, 30% music (under $500 street price).

Silver Member
Username: Edison

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 582
It is a great speaker at the price - votedthe best speaker under $200 by the pros. Sounds good with a Yamaha RX series receiver - or panasonic sa-xr70.

For the rears, you can buy as-b1 for less.

Username: Blitzschnell

QubecCanada

Post Number: 8
I have used them for more than 2 years now ( AS-C1, AS-B2 and AS-F2). I've find them a little bright until I hooked a good receiver and then I felt what pros reviewer had written so far about them.
I would recommand them with a warm reciever.

Post Number: 5
Thanks for the replies James and Hugo. Hugo, what receiver are you using that matches well with the Athenas? Many posts I have read in this forum push the H/K's as being a warm receiver... I was looking at buying either the Pioneer vsx-1014 or Yamaha 5760.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 133
Go Pioneer Elite, Marantz of HK. The Yamaha is way too bright, but apparantly the new models (1500) aren't as bad.

As far as the Best Buy statement, take that to mean don't make up your mind by comparing their products and listening there, but if they carry products you want, why not? At least you get a good warranty and it's hassle free to keep trading stuff off.

Future Shop (Canadian Best Buy) in my city carries Harman Kardon, Athena, and Polk. They even carry the HK 630, and Polk Rti12s.

Bronze Member
Username: Sinkdrain

Post Number: 83
I paired Athenas with an HK. I love the sound of the Athena speakers. Warm but very detailed. I also liked the Pioneer with the Athenas but I liked the HK slightly more. Best Buy pairs Athenas with a Yamaha in the listening room and it made the Athenas a little too bright for my tastes.

Username: Blitzschnell

QubecCanada

Post Number: 10
I do not want to start an out-of-topic debate but, I find H/K 330 a bit bright with athena as the 320 was too. I find dvd material to be especially bright with actor's voice.

I tried Arcam avr-200 with them and it is night and day compared to H/K. From that experience, I decided to sell my 330 to get a arcam 250. it is smoother with high pitch sound and much more relaxing for ear over long period of listening while keeping a dynamic sounding.

Post Number: 6
Thanks for all of your advice... I ended up going in a different direction and purchased Mirage Omnistat speakers.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2017
You didn't really go in a different direction, just a different brand from the same makers of Energy and Athena Speakers...API.:-)
What receiver did you end up getting?

Post Number: 7
True Berny... brand-wise I stayed within the family but I changed my original plans of buying a larger sized system. Sound Advice had a Mirage/Denon system package at too good a price to pass up. The 5 Omnisats came with the new model Omni s10 sub and the Denon avr2105. I had no choice with the receiver, but it sounded fine in the store. The 2105 doesn't seem to get much exposure in this forum but it should suit my needs. Do you think Mirage and Denon is a good combination?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2018
Absolutely, though some may think they are a bit bright. I think they play well together.
What kept you from getting a larger system? Aside from a great deal.

Post Number: 8
Berny, I could sugar-coat my answer with room size, aesthetics and placment mentions, but these are supporting roles to the lead role, the waf.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2027
aah, the dreaded WAF:-)
The bane of the manly home theater and the most deciding factor in the Acoustimass nightmare.LOL!

Silver Member

Post Number: 146
The poor Acoustimass lemmings... just wishing the Best Buy salesman will have the courage to admit they suck and only look good beside the wife's trinkets.

Username: Jupriet

Post Number: 9
I started a thread about small speakers, but since the topic is here I might as well bring up my question: what are your impressions regarding orb audio mod1 and the mirage nanosats? I have a Marantz 5400. Thanks for your thoughts.

edster922
Unregistered guest
How would the Athena AS-F2s sound with an Onkyo 601?

Would the Onk's purported 85wpc be enough or would they sound bright?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2086
edster,
The Athenas sound great with Onkyo and being of effecient design, the Onkyo's power supplies will be more than adequate.

edster922
Unregistered guest
Berny,

Thanks...at $400 shipped is there anything else on the market that can compete with it? The only things about the Athenas I'm not crazy about are the sheer 50lb. bulk and silver face.

Overkill
Unregistered guest
The drivers look like crap too

Gold Member

Post Number: 2088
At that price point, I really can't think of anything, but I'm sure someone will come up with something more constructive than this troll that just popped up.

cheers

gavincumm
Unregistered guest
Benry,

The Paradigm Esprit competes really well with the Athenas, and is also $400 a pair. This is an excerpt from the review in the link:

By far the biggest surprise was how the Esprit v.3 compared to the venerable Energy C-2 speakers. The C-2s cost $200 more than the Esprit v.3 when I bought them several years ago and were among the better $600 speakers on the market at the time. Judging by the highly complimentary reviews the C-2 received during its production, I would have expected it to still be somewhat superior to the Esprit v.3, but that turned out not to be the case. The Esprit v.3 has a slightly smoother, if a touch more reserved, top end. The midrange of the Esprit v.3 is at least on par with the C-2, if not a bit cleaner. Bass response seems to be about equal in quality, but the Esprit v.3 goes lower and has a little more weight behind it. Overall, the Esprit v.3 and C-2 are pretty close in sound quality, but in my opinion, the Esprit v.3 has the edge.

The full review is at:
http://www.goodsound.com/equipment/paradigm_esprit_v3.htm

you would do well to take a look at these speakers as well, they sound GREAT for the price! My local dealer has them. Unfortunatly, that is all the experience I have with the speakers, but they were being driven with Integra components.

They are a true joy to listen to, if you like Paradigm speakers.

gavincumm
Unregistered guest
I do like the athenas, but the Paradigm Esprit was what came to mind.

edster922
Unregistered guest
Gavin,

Where'd you see the Paradigms for $400 a pair? I couldn't find that anywhere with Google.

gavincumm
Unregistered guest
you have to go to dealers
go to www.paradigm.com and look for a dealer. Give them a call and see

the price MAY have gone up, but that is what they were selling for when I auditioned them when I bought paradigms for another system.

also, the Paradigm FOCUS bookshelf speaker is a great sounding unit, and a great value at roughly $300

gavincumm
Unregistered guest
I just got off the phone with my local Paradigm dealer, the Esprit is now priced at $430, while the Focus bookshelf is priced at $320.

As I said before, both of these are absolutly PHENOMENAL speakers for the price, and blew me away the first time I heard them. Their lack of coloration is really surprising. I never thought that inexpensive, yet good-sounding tower speakers could be produced. I have heard both the Esprit and Focus.

You can usually get somewhat of a deal with paradigm speakers. My dealer gives me roughly %10-%15 off the purchase

gavincumm
Unregistered guest
I just got off the phone with my local Paradigm dealer, the Esprit is now priced at $430, while the Focus bookshelf is priced at $320.

As I said before, both of these are absolutly PHENOMENAL speakers for the price, and blew me away the first time I heard them. Their lack of coloration is really surprising. I never thought that inexpensive, yet good-sounding tower speakers could be produced. I have heard both the Esprit and Focus.

You can usually get somewhat of a deal with paradigm speakers. My dealer gives me roughly %10-%15 off the purchase

gavincumm
Unregistered guest
sorry for the double post

Gold Member

Post Number: 2096
Now, that's constructive. Although, I haven't heard the Paradigm Esprits, I will not hesitate to recommend Paradigms, they've been historically an excellent speaker manufacturer.

edster922
Unregistered guest
Gavin,

I saw that the Esprit are 2-ways, whereas the Athenas are 3-ways and I keep hearing that the extra midrange driver usually creates a better room-filling effect (my living room is almost 600 sq. ft. with 15 foot cathedral ceilings) which is what's driving me towards towers over bookshelves.

What do you think?

edster922
Unregistered guest
Gavin,

Called around today and the only two Paradigm dealers in my city don't have the Esprit, the closest in type and price is the Monitor 5 at $530, which is very close in price to the Ascend CMT-340M at $550, which are sorely tempting too.

I'm leaning towards the Ascends, maybe even the bookshelf CBM-170s at $328 a pair, based on the rave reviews I keep reading about them. I like that the CBM-170 makes no bones about specializing in mids and highs instead of going for the more mass-appeal selling point of bass bass bass like the Polks in this price range do.

It also kind of makes sense to me that if the manufacturer is selling direct to the public then the absence of a middleman's markup should (knock on wood) that you're getting better quality for your money.

Silver Member

Post Number: 181
The Paradigm Monitor 5 is an excellent speaker, it's too bad you can't audition the CBM-170s or 340Ms beside them. I'd be interested in hearing your comparison.

gavincumm
Unregistered guest
the esprits can be special ordered. TRUST ME when I say they toast the ascends. the monitors are great speakers as well.

My suggestion is to go to your paradigm dealer and audition the Focus speaker. The Esprit sounds almost identical to my ears as what the Focus does, just with the addition of more bass.

gavincumm
Unregistered guest
sorry, I meant athenas, not ascends. Ascends are also very good speakers from what I have read. But, I have also read reviews from people that did NOT like them, calling them mid-rangey and treble light.

(I do like the athenas as well...I am just partial to paradigm :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Sdc

Post Number: 15
I was told that the eprits are the same as the titan in a floorstander

gavincumm
Unregistered guest
that is not true. The esprits use much better drivers, as in the Focus. In fact, the Esprits use the same drivers as the Focus. The titan uses a good driver, but it is NOT the same. I was told this by my dealer.

edster922
Unregistered guest
> Ascends are also very good speakers from what I have read. But, I have also read reviews from people that did NOT like them, calling them mid-rangey and treble light.

Where'd you read that? I have yet to come across any negative feedback on the Ascends.

One of the Paradigm dealers I spoke to actually had never heard of the Esprit, he asked if these had been discontinued for a couple of years, LOL! But looking at the Paradigm website, it looks like the Monitors are actually a higher product line than the Performance line that the Esprit comes from.

Username: Clemulus

Massachusetts United States

Post Number: 1
I too was going the Athena route (B2 and F2) until I auditioned the Pardigm Focus $300) and the Espirit ($399). They had the Monitor 7's($650). All very nice speakers indeed. I will try to get a discount from these prices.

I was leaning towards the Espirit and Focus but wondered if the 7's were worth the $250 upgrade?

The 'audio advisor' definately stated to pair the Espirits/7's with the Focus and not the Titans or Atoms due to driver matching.

My room is 12x15 but I may move to a bigger house in the next couple of years.

Can anyone give me their opinion of the 7's vs Espirits?

edster922
Unregistered guest
Michael,

How would you describe the difference between the Paradigms and Athenas? I'll get a chance to audition the Paradigms today or tomorrow but no luck finding the Athenas locally.

Post Number: 2
Unfortunately, I was only judging on reviews and the price point for the Athena's. I went to go listen yesterday at Best Buy but they no longer carry the AS-F2. For $400, those were the two that garnered the best reviews and seemed to be favorable on this and other boards.

Post Number: 3
Has anyone listened to the Acoustic Energy AEGIS EVO 3? They are in the same price range as the Paradigm Espirits.

gavincumm - is an extra $250 worth the upgrade from the Espirits to the 7's?

gavincumm
Unregistered guest
honestly... I didn't like the monitor 7's

didn't care for the bass performance. Thought them to be boomy. The monitor 5, IMHO is a better performing speaker. Bsss sounds a lot tighter to my ears. As a result, everything seems to come more into focus, especially with jazz music. Stand up bass was not blurred as it appeared to be on the monitor 7.

This may have been due to the conditions that I was auditioning them under, however. Listen for yourself and see what you feel.

edster... I am going to lookfor the review criticising the ascends after I write this.

gavincumm
Unregistered guest
this isnt the review I was looking for... but it is in a forum at www.hometheaterdiscussion.com

this is what it says about the ascends:

Ascend Acoustics CMB-170:

These speakers are great for monitors (very clear, very neutral high-end, ample low-end). However, I especially found them to be somewhat closed-in, and wayyyy too laid-back. When you close your eyes, it sounds like sound is coming from a small box, and it felt like I could localize the speakers with my eyes closed. They are good speakers, but we found them to just be too boring. These speakers are the polar opposite of fatiguing. To the Ascend's goes the third-place ribbon.

The speakers that came out, in case you were wondering, were the Onix Rocket 150 (havent heard them)

the review I was looking for was from cheaphometheater.com

edster922
Unregistered guest
Interesting. That's about the first negative review I've ever read about the CMB-170.

I'm also considering their mini-tower, the CMT-340 though at almost $600 shipped it's actually a little more expensive than the Paradigm Monitor 5 ($529+tax locally), and Acoustic Energy Aegis Evo 3 ($450 shipped on eBay).

Post Number: 4
Thanks gavincumm - Did Version 4 come out yet for the Paradigm line? That may push down the prices for the Espirit's and 7's v.3

Post Number: 9
Original poster back - Athena follow-up... I returned the Mirage Omnisats and went with Athena bookshelf, center, surrounds. Now I need a subwoofer and a receiver... Was looking at Hsu Research HTF-2, $414 shipped through Hsu's website. Any other choices in this price range worth reviewing, perhaps a budget choice for less with similar quality? Would appreciate some specific receiver models to look into also that match well with Athenas, $550 max. Thanks.
P.s. Berny, I used Stealth technology to sneak by the WAF!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2139
LOL...so, why didn't you stick with the Mirage???

A lot of receivers match well with the Athenas, but I like them with HK and Kenwood(sic), particularly the 7080 or 8070 (I forget the specific model).

Bronze Member
Username: Sinkdrain

Post Number: 93
I absolutely love the sound of my Athena AS-B2s with Harman Kardon. I hear wonderful things in the midrange with this combination. I also really like how the cymbals are presented. They are very detailed but not forced or bright. It is easy to tell, for example, when brushes are used and where the cymbal is being hit. Logic 7 is an added bonus with the H/K. I also liked Pioneer with Athena but not as much as H/K. Yamaha and Denon sounded completely different and was not my cup of tea.

Berny, it turned out that my room setup was not ideal to fully integrate the sound of the omnipolar speakers.

It appears that H/K is a popular choice for Athenas. I will look into their models. Any choices for a solid subwoofer in the $450 or less category would be appreciated.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2152
My choice would be for the HSU and Velodyne and all could be had for the budget you stated.

gavincumm
Unregistered guest
YES YES YES!!!

I have a great subwoofer here!!!!

The SVS pb10-isd for $430

it comes in black, cream, tan, and grey.

300 watt BASH amp

+/- 3dB 18Hz-100Hz or better in nearly every room

CHECK IT OUT, IT HAS BEEN GETTING RAVE REVIEWS!!!!!!

here is a link to one:
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_11_4/svs-pb10-subwoofer-10-2004.html

manufacturer:
http://www.svsubwoofers.com/subs_pb10_isd.htm

gavincumm
Unregistered guest
version 4 to my knowledge (or my dealers) has not come out

Gold Member

Post Number: 2159
Yup, SVS over Velodyne.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Thanks for the tip on SVS... and 4 colors to choose from? Berny, this has WAF potential!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2164
LOL...we need all the advantage we can get:-)

Bronze Member
Username: Afrogt

Post Number: 16
I've had my Athenas for about 6 weeks now and have them paired with an HK AVR 325 receiver. I have both B2 and B1 bookshelves. The B2 has slightly more bass but otherwise the speakers sound the same. Perhaps the B2 can go a little louder but my ears would be bleeding at that point in my small room. They're very efficient speakers at about 91db.

The speakers sound wonderful with the HK probably because the HK is warm sounding and the Athenas are a bit bright or detailed. They balance each other out very well. I've also tried the B2's with my Sherwood Newcastle R-956 receiver and 5 year old Yamaha 595a. The sound is still nice and clean with the Newcastle but a little brighter than the HK. The Yamaha and Athena don't match well at all IMHO. Both are bright and didn't sound right to me. I've heard that the newer Yammy receivers aren't quite as bright but I have never tested with the Athenas.

Both bookshelves have very nice bass for their size. I was testing them with 2 channel music and the sub turned off. For the price I paid ($100/pr for new B1's, $110/pr for B2 demos) I don't think you can beat it.

As far as subs for $450 or less, I'd recommend the HSU STF-2 or new SVS PB10. Those seem to get the most praise on the AV forums.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
GregT, that's one helluva deal you got for the B2 and B1 speakers. I am sold on H/K. I may opt for the H/K 430 or 630 or wait and pay more for the new 435/635 models to reach the authorized online retailers. I am leaning towards the SVS PB10-ISD over the HSU STF-2... both seem comparable in overall performance, but the SVS comes in tan color - WAF.

gavincumm
Unregistered guest
ed,

I saw your post in the paradigm thread about the monitor 5's...

go audition them. I absolutly love them. They have a minimonitors precision imaging when set up correctly, with more authorative bass.

As I write this, I am in my living room on my laptop (on dialup...ugh) listening to Keiko Mastui on my humble Paradigm micro speakers and PDR-8 subwoofer. I bought them strictly because of the price/performance ratio. I needed a smallish speaker that sounded great. They only get better with age.

Mind you I have magnepans in the other room, and am totally enjoying what is comming out of these AWESOME $150 speakers paired with a $250 sub.

ANY speaker in the Paradigm line will be able to show you upgrades in the signal path, once they are properly broken in. I just changed the wires on mine for the heck of it, and was dumbfounded that they could display the changes in the highs and mids as fluidly as they did.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
RJD,

The Athena B1's were on sale at BB for $99 back in November. I got lucky on the B2's. Negotiated with a manager on an open box item from $139 down to $110. It was the last pair they had. No boxes, no manual, etc. Bought the B1's 2 days later and the manual is the same. Yeah, I'm happy!

Still need the C1 center but I'm holding out for a $99 clearance since I got the others so cheaply. System works fine in phantom mode for now. If BB is clearing out the product line, I'll find one eventually. No rush.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
The HK 430/630 can be found on clearance since the 435/635 have been announced. Locally Fry's has the 430 for $399. That's a great deal and they're authorized! But don't rule out the Pioneer 1014 either. It can be had for around the same price or slightly more and has a great room equalization feature. Its very popular on other AV Forums.

Doubt if you'll be able to find the HK 435/635 for $550 any time soon since they're so new. Good luck.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
GregT, you're correct about the need for a higher budget for the 435/635. My initial post was budgeting for $500, then later $550, now possibly upper $600... I need to re-evaluate or before long, I will be checking out the 7300.

edster922
Unregistered guest
> They have a minimonitors precision imaging when set up correctly, with more authorative bass.

Well what concerns me about your statement is that in my experience, and also from what I've read in both professional and private reviews, any speaker that delivers really good bass usually has to sacrifice something with the mids and highs, there's no avoiding the tradeoff especially at the low pricepoint I'm looking at. That's why I'm so intrigued by the Ascends, they don't even pretend to be a full-range speaker.

In any case, I was planning on checking out the Monitor 5s, a local dealer told me over the phone they're going at $529 a pair.

Do dealers do after-Christmas markdowns, you think? : )

gavincumm
Unregistered guest
the bass is not as deep as a tower. However, the bass PERFORMANCE is better. My definition of good bass is tightness, not necessarily depth.

I only hope that your dealer has them set up properly :-) Mine had to pull the speakers out from the wall.

The bass IS deeper than the minis and monitor 3's however. I loved the performance of the mids and highs as well. The tweeter seemed smooth and extended on good equipment.

gavincumm
Unregistered guest
the bass is not as deep as a tower. However, the bass PERFORMANCE is better. My definition of good bass is tightness, not necessarily depth.

I only hope that your dealer has them set up properly :-) Mine had to pull the speakers out from the wall.

The bass IS deeper than the minis and monitor 3's however. I loved the performance of the mids and highs as well. The tweeter seemed smooth and extended on good equipment.

gavincumm
Unregistered guest
for some reason I am getting double posts...my apologies

edster922
Unregistered guest
Gav,

BTW, what kind of maggies do you have, and with what kind of receiver?

I just saw the MMS at $550 a pair on their website but was told on another forum that they require massive amounts of power to sound good, looks like my 90wpc Marantz might not be up to it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2244
You are going to need a receiver that can handle 4 ohm loads, and there are only a few around.

Username: Sam4age

Post Number: 5
How are the micra 6 systems?

There are 2 sets at BB. What is the differnce?

Model: MICRA6 $474
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1069296848554&skuId=6199525&type=prod uct

Model: 6HTSB for $250
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1077624907950&skuId=6376628&type=prod uct

edster922
Unregistered guest
Berny,

Thanks, guess I can DEFINITELY write them off for the time being.

The Paradigm Monitor 7s sure sounded good, will have to decide whether they're worth the extra $150 over the Monitor 5s. Didn't like the Klipsch towers much.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2248
Sam, there is no difference, just the color. If you are not sure, go to the Athena website.
Best Buy is having a blow out on these speakers so grab them while you can. That's the cheapest I've seen them go. I'll be getting a few units as late xmas gifts.

Post Number: 7
are the micra6 better or is it better putting a system with as-b1, as-c1s?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2253
The micra 6 is excellent if space is a premium, but the bookshelves are still better.

What's a good BestBuy Receiver for the Micra 6?

How does the Micra6 compares with the Rocket Tyke?

Gaband27
Unregistered guest
A good compromise betweent the size of the Micra6 and the AS-B1's would be the Point 5.

Give them a listen. I was having a hard time between the two lines as well, and ended up choosing the Point 5's as they were almost as small as the Micra6 and sounded very similar to the bigger bookshelves. The Point 5's also play a wee bit lower than the Micra's (80hz vs. 100hz) and seem to blend in a little better with a sub thanks to this.

Overall, I think you'd be happy with any of the Athena products.

gavincumm
Unregistered guest
I have the MMG-W, which are wall mount, smaller, and REQUIRE a sub.

To be honest with you, looking back at the 600 square foot space, with 15 foot cathedrals, a pair of maggies would sound glorious in there.

However, that is a huge space for an inefficient speaker to fill with a modest amount of power. They arent as power hungry as everyone says, trust me on that. But, I believe that space is too big for that size amplifier.

then again, it might be fine.

Call magnepan for a better answer, they might be able to direct you better, as you truly will not get a better sounding speaker for the price than the MMG. Planar bass is fast, tight, and tonally correct. Mids are rich and vibrant. Highs are silky smooth and sonorous. This speaker still has the ability to make my jaw drop.

Imaging it precise, and only pinpoint when it was recorded that way, unlike some minimonitors. This is due to the size of the panel, and the radiation pattern. A grand piano, for instance, fills the room. On a mini, it sounds confined between the speakers all too often.

Maggies are some of the best speakers I have ever heard, and will tell you what is upstream of them. Garbage in, garbage out.

You just have to get them away from the rear and side walls with rougly a 3 foot minimum distance. Otherwise the speakers do not sound pleasing.

Magnepan's phone number: 1-800-474-1646
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us