SVS, or Velodyne?

Silver Member
Username: Rkvfire

Vancouver, British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 113
im thinkin of goin SVS, or Velodyne for the bedroom unit.. consisting of paradigm mini monitors, and rotel receiver.. your input? or should i stick with paradigm line of subs?

Bronze Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 80
I'd go Velodyne for a small room with mini monitors. Their $1500 CAN 8" sub is fantastic.

SVS may be too much for a small room

Silver Member

Post Number: 117
do you have the model number? i think the one ur talkin about is at A&B sound. ill check it out

lol, yeah i was lookin at their line of subwoofers. house shakers for a home theatre.. and this is just a room unit.. oh boy. plus their the size of floor standing speakers anyway! too damn big.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 86
the A&B sound in Victoria carries it, I suspect the one in Van does too, the model number is SPL-800 series II.

http://www.velodyne.com/velodyne/products/product.aspx?ID=7&sid=876d288r

1000 watts RMS, 2000 watts peak, it's not over-kill in my opinion, just ready to rumble.

Silver Member

Post Number: 123
ill have to audition this sub.. have you? whats the + / - of it?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 89
Pros-

Tight, detailed, punchy bass response.
Size - very unobtrusive

Cons-

Price - bit steep for the little sucker but you pay for quality
Low end- Not a rumbling sub you want for that background bass in movies. But definitely an awsome sub for music. I want to get one to use in unison with a 12" sub, using the Velodyne as a midbass sub down to 30Hz, and the 12" set to 30Hz and below.

Silver Member

Post Number: 127
i like the pros. what is the size of it?

lol yeah 1500 for the 8". i think ill pass the 5,000 limit of my bedroom unit with that thing.
well the whole bedroom is for music and movies, if im too lazy to go into the other room. or watch one in the comfort of my bed. awesome sub for music.. not really good for HT.. i need one to do both. you still recommend this?

frequencies are a mystery to me.. i dont understand it.. can ya clearify?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 94
Sure, the bass spectrum is below 130Hz down to 0Hz. The deepest bass is around 20Hz, below that it cannot be heard just felt as vibrations. I've only auditioned it for music, but it's very impressive, I think it would function really well in a bedroom set-up. Take in a movie and audition it at A&B.

It is very small, and it looks great.

Silver Member

Post Number: 129
oh ok, so how low do you think a sub should be set? i think ill go test it out later today or tomorrow. as for placement, where do u suggest putting it? in the front of the room by the tv, or in the rear of the room.. i read that it isnt video sheilded.. so it wont be too close to the tv.

yeah it does look nifty. thanx kano

Bronze Member

Post Number: 97
Usually you want the sub to go as low as it is capable of. Setting the sub refers to what frequencies you want sent to it. For example a common crossover point is between 60-100Hz. This means that any frequencies the receiver gets that are below 60-100Hz are sent to the sub.

Room placement isn't too important, really it comes down to in a corner, or not in a corner. In the corner the sound is deflected off the walls and hits a little harder. Out of the corner, it is a little more accurate. Just put it wherever it fits.

Silver Member

Post Number: 130
hmm, ok i think i need to reconfigure the settings on my dads pio 1014receiver. i was watching a movie with him the other day and i just didnt like how the sound was responding and such.. does it say on the back of the subwoofer how low it can go? he is running jbl 310 northbridge series as fronts.. theres too much treble i find comming from them and not enough bass.. any recommendations?

alright good deal, ill place it in the corner... or hmm. if i put it about 2 feet away from the front left speaker u think it would bother any?

Silver Member

Post Number: 104
In the Pioneer's menus there should be a place to adjust the Front speaker's Crossover point. The common reference point for all speakers is 80Hz, (THX), I like my floorstanders set to 60Hz, you may like them as low as 40Hz if they're capable and don't muddy the sub's sound, but I'd recommend 60Hz.

The specs for the sub will show the lowest frequencies it can handle, the dials on the back usually only limit the top end of the response not the bottem.

As far as your second question, that's where I have my sub, between the front speaker and the tv, no problems.

Silver Member

Post Number: 105
I was just checking the specs on the 8inch sub, while the 10" and 12" are video shielded, the 8" is not.

It is most likely because the interference it causes is so minimal it shouldn't even be noticed.

Silver Member

Post Number: 132
thanx kano. i will reconfigure it when i have a chance. i think the jbl's will handle 40.. ill give it a try and see.

what do u mean?

ok cool, i will place mine there

so u dont think the video will be botherd at all?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us