Newbie question

Username: Yonkers36

Post Number: 1
I'm currently piecing together my first system and need some insight for an affordable used amp/preamp brand/models. I've done most of my buying via ebay and currently own a pair of B&W DM602 S3 speakers a Rega Planar turntable and a Rotel cd player. I now need a preamp/amp. I'm not knowledgeable as to what older brands & models would be considered audiophile entry-level equipment. Is there some older gear which would be considered standards if you will, that are affordable for a set, i.e. the $400 to $800 range. I'm sure I sound like a total tool here but I'm new at this. Any help in this matter will be greatly appreciated. Just getting out of the starting gate, B-

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

You might find something you like by looking at our discussions around this time of:

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/103001.html

Bronze Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 80
Bruce

For real fidelity, you can forget about the usual Japanese makes. The Americans and Europeans make some wonderful kit. In the $400 - $800 bracket second hand, you'd be better off buying a quality integrated amp. You don't need much power since the speakers you have are relatively easy to drive. Consider amps from makes such as Naim Audio, Arcam, Densen, Cyrus, Primare. These should fit into the 2nd hand price bracket you're looking at. The above are just a few examples. Note also that with the above names you really have to start taking careful consideration of what cables to use etc. For example, Naim Audio amps typically need to have Naim cable and use DIN sockets for the inputs (because DINs have better earthing than usual phono plugs).

Do some reading up on those makes and you should dig up some other makes to look into the matter properly. Magazines such as HiFi Choice, HiFi News, Stereophile, The Absolute Sound. Some of these have online articles too. Good luck!

Regards,
Frank.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us