Subwoofer stopped working all the sudden

Username: Ridetopdown

Atlanta, GA United States

Post Number: 1
I have had my subwoofer in my car for about a year now with little to no problems after i installed it. I woke up this morning and after i turned my car i realized that the subwoofer wasnt working. I checked all the wires, i figured it probelly could only be speaker wires or rca wire since the amp lights up. I have a rca wire with a headphone jack on the other end and plugged that into the amp and my ipod directly on the other side and still silent. Does anyone have any ideas what this might be?? I drove it yesterday and entire ride no problem. I am completely stuck right now, so any help would be great!

Silver Member
Username: Rosrock

Michigan

Post Number: 189
well, it most likely isnt the sub then. put a dmm to it, or just put a basic charged small battery to the voice coils, positive to positive, n to n, if it moves ur good, if not well then double check the battery to make sure its not used and worn out. Also check ur gain on the amp, and ur sub level output on ur head unit. what kind of subs and amp are you using?

Silver Member
Username: Sleste8

Shelbyville, MI United States

Post Number: 165
does the cone on the subwoofer move if you spread your fingers evenly and lightly push down? if it's as hard as a rock, your most likely effed...

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 13665
connect the ipod to the amp. see if it works without the RCAs in the mix
then check output of the amp with a DMM
check remote trigger voltage
check impedance at the sub terminals/box terminal cup

it's possible the amp was damaged by static discharge with the way you have it wired directly to bare RCA lines and an iPod.

Post Number: 2
the way i had the ipod hooked up was with something like this http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/SFV/30046/vpid/564672 7/vpcsid/0/rid/123284

and i pushed on them to see if they make a wierd noise or anything and they do not and they feel just like they use to.

Also what sort of noise are they suppose to make when i try to connect speaker wires to battery?

i have 2 12 inch alpine speakers and an alpine amp.

Post Number: 3
Also about the battery in my car, it has been taking a second or so more to start my car, seeming like the battery is becoming weak or slowly reaching the end of its cycle. would a weak battery give power to the amp but not enough to run either of the speakers? battery is still working, cars starting, and everything else is ok. Someone else mentioned something about this and wondering if that might be the case

Silver Member
Username: Rosrock

Michigan

Post Number: 193
just movemnt... no noise at all. very little movement.. if it moves you know its not blown.

Post Number: 5
ok i did some test with my friends amps and subs and found my amp is working good but some how both of my subs are not. Is there any way that both subs would blow suddenly together? like i mentioned, when turned car off last night they were working, but then turned on today and were not. It seems weird for both to stop like that to me

Gold Member
Username: Kyle_lowe

Post Number: 1100
how did you test it, did you hook your friends subs up to your amp in your car?

Post Number: 6
yes i hooked my friends subs up to my amp in my car and they worked. So i isolated the problem to my speakers. Then after testing my subs on his amp with still nothing. I took one of the box and tested it directly with wire going straight from my sub to his amp and still silent. I just dont see how they would both stop all the sudden at the exact same time.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 13687
Get a DMM.
set it to continuity.
test at the terminal cup between POS and NEG terminals.
Set DMM to "Ohms" "20 ohm" range
test DCR (resistance) at the same two points.
take the subs out of the box
check for loose connections.
disconnect subs from box wiring
test DCR across each pair of terminals on the subs without the coils (if DVC) bridged.

Gold Member
Username: Kpa2727

Old Bridge, NJ USA !

Post Number: 1627
I'm betting a tinsel lead is snapped or your bannana clip jumpers came out. Being you removed them I'd check the tinsel leads and coils. If you ran them hard you could of snapped the spider or tinsels. I have seen a few come into my work like that. Also did you run a ne wire to the sub you tested? Maybe your original speaker wire is cut and even hooking it up would get same results on another amp.