Archive through October 01, 2003

John H Peterson
Hello,
I just saw this speaker at a local audio store,
it sounded really good compared to JBL,Infinity
and Polk...floor standers.I never heard about this company before,so if anyone has ever tried
or heard about this speaker please give me an advice(The store offered me at $600 USD/pair).
Thanks in advance .

John.

john h... hmm you know what i just got some of those... i never heard of them ether... white van...?

The ones i Have are great... please mail.. me. laters

I recently just picked up a Theater Research DTS-8000 home theater system. Has anyone else ever purchased from this system, or any of their products. The only downfall is it didn't com with an installation guide for wiring, and it's not a normal setup.

Same here, just picked up a pair of TR-2000 floor speakers, there was a guy that just yelled @ me and asked me if i wanted some speakers, overstocked or something like that. But i haven't heard of Theater Research either...

Guess what guys. They got you. check out

http://www.scamshield.com/Feature.asp?id=1 for details of the most dishonest marketing technique in audio today.
http://badbusinessbureau.com/results. has info particular to Theater Research speakers.

$200 a pair is probably a fair price for those speakers since the "dealers" pay only about $50 apiece.

John H Peterson
Hello everyone,

I know a store is selling all these "Theater Research " speakers,the store name is ' New world
Electronics ' , address: 6711 Westminster Ave
Westminster -California-92683, phone(714)899-5848

Should we need to do anything on this store?

As long as they properly stand by their product there is nothing to do. The only time a problem will arise is when they don't take care of unhappy customers. They can sell anything that isn't illegal to sell and at any price they want to sell. It is the customer who decides wether they want the product or not.

John H Peterson
Good news to whoever bought Theater Research speakers ,this is from what i have read and copy
& paste to share with you guys,enjoy ....

Submitted: 7/5/2003 2:27:20 PM
Modified: 7/5/2003 10:34:19 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Theater Research Speakers street sales ripoff or NOT Newport Beach California *Consumer Suggestion ..I'd Watch Out Here
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Company
Theater Research
Address:
3419 Via UD Suite 249
Newport Beach California 92663
U.S.A.
Phone:
949-355-6008
Fax: -

I have read several other ripoff reports regarding Theater Research Speakers and submit the following:

One of my employees was approached by an individual on one of our jobsites. He told our employee that he was an installer for Home Theater Entertainment in Houston, TX.

The installer said their warehouse had made a mistake and he had two "extra" sets of Theater Research Speakers Model TR-1400 he could not take back. He showed us an ad for Theater Research Speakers in the "Robb Report / Home Entertainment and Design" magazine Summer 2003 issue. The TR-1400 speakers were advertised at $1,995.00 each, or $3,990 for a pair. He told us he would sell the speakers for 10% of cost ($400.00 for a pair), and removed one of the speakers from the box. He showed us what appeared to be high quality components.

I asked, and was given the magazine.We bought both sets of speakers, and when I returned home I looked up the ad's website. The website was not accessable, so I called the phone number in the ad. I called several times and only received a voice mail box. I emailed the magazines publisher and the ad manager for the west coast, sighting my frustrations in not be able to access any info on the speakers. The west coast ad manager emailed me back and said she had talked to the president of the company, and he offered no help. I also called several Home Entertainment companies in Houston and found that no one had heard of the speakers.

After several weeks I again attempted to locate info on the internet. I found the websited to be "parked". I called the number in the ad again and a man answered telling me he owned the company, but they were closed as it was Saturday. He said the company did exist and that if I had found those speakers for 10% of the advertised cost I should buy as many as possible. He said their website is under construction, and should be functional in about three weeks (today is July 5, 2003). I was encouraged and connected the speakers to my DVD player with amplification. The speakers work and sound good.

Packaging was profession with logos, and what appears to be factory adhesive taping bearing printing that says "Professional 2000 Digital Audio", the speakers boxes are well built complete with logos and serial numbers, the components seem to be very high quality with aluminized cones, titanium tweeters and high quality connections.

I am a homebuilder. I simply can not see how someone could lauch such an expensive campaign to gain $400.00 for a pair of imposters. In some of our homes we build custom cabinets, and I simply could not duplicate the speaker boxes for less than $250.00 a piece, and that without the components (which work) and the expensive packaging.

The "company owner" said that Theater Research is taking up a large volumn of floor space in an upcoming Consumer Electronics Show) I believe the show will be in Las Vegas).

Perhaps the company is new (see magazine description below) and has launched a street campaign to get there product out there. I remember when vinyl siding companies would come into a neighborhood and do a house or two for free....other paying jobs in the neighborhood would always follow.

The Register of Advertisers in Home Entertainment and Design magazine states:

Theater Research / www.trtheaterresearch.com
Phone 949-355-6008
3419 VIA UD Suite 249
Newport Beach, CA 92663

Cutting edge professionals are launching digital loudspeakers and the element is is TR-THEATER RESEARCH. Professional technology and only the highest quality components are used.

John
Hungerford, Texas
U.S.A.

and here is the link to it

http://badbusinessbureau.com/view.asp?id=62811

Have fun .

John H Peterson
Just called and talked to a men at Theater Research / www.trtheaterresearch.com
Phone 949-355-6008
3419 VIA UD Suite 249
Newport Beach, CA 92663

He told me to send the warranty card to him and he also stated his website will be on about 3 - 4 weeks .Well ,so far so good ...:)
Anyone can try this number if you have any question .

i was approached in the same way bout the speakers, i just read all of john articles, and i dont know what to say... so this morning, i woke up hooked up all the speakers to my system, and they sound fine to me, so one guy suggested this a new brand of speakers and there promoting it thru the streets first...maybe??? but i like what i hear, and bought for 200...i mean its nose bose, sony or phillips, but its quality sound...

Ron
so how do these speakers sound?

Rex
They are decent speakers, not a name brand, but, they work great. Not worth anywhere near the $1999 a piece like they advertise or the guy in the van tells you, but I'd say they're worth about $250 a piece.

A tip when buying speakers from a guy in a van. Usually they are good speakers, just not a name brand like Bose of Sony. But they are never worth what they guy tells you they are. In most cases you can get speakers really cheap here, I just bought a pair of TR-2800's from a guy in a van for $125 a piece. He orginally wanted $500 for each one. You pull out $250 cash and say take it or leave it, you got a deal, there is no way he will walk away. Just don't let him talk you higher and its a good buy.

A pair of Bose or Sony speakers comparable to these speakers would go for around $1500, so if you do the deal right, you can make out good. But be careful, these guys are quick witted street sales people, good at what they do, getting your money.

Ron
kool, i havent met anyon ein a white van yet however i did buy some off of ebay i'm hoping i will like them got em for about 250

Anonymous
I just had the same thing happen to me - guy in a white van and the Home Entertainment & Design Magazine deal - $ 500.00 for (2) Towers (2500's or 2800's), (5) Surround Speakers, Center Channel & Powered Subwoofer. My friend bought the set, I was skeptical and did not. Says I can call him anytime and get a similiar deal. What does anyone think about this, besides maybe a little shady?!

Dion Prisby
I bought the tr system, I was afraid that they might be stolen. But when the guy pulled out the system in the parking lot in broad daylight I felt safe. So no harm no foul.(I'm in NE Ohio)

Robert
Yesterday morning i was approached by 2 men in a yellowish brown van with some scam story about speakers.. funny thing is i bought them thinking i got a great deal. (2 TR-1110 floor speakers for $250 canadian, roughly $170 american). I honestly thought that the speakers were worth $2000 each untill i found this website. I'm still releived to know I didn't get ripped off though because the speakers work very well it seems. The men who sold these to me were very good at what they do. They told me that they had just set up the audio at the Calgary Stampede and even showed me their passes for the event and their special cards. They also went off about the overshipment story and conned me into believing them. Watch out for these guys, don't let them rip you off. They originally flipped when i said i only had $250 and laughed then 5 minutes later they came back and said okay. They also told me they sold them for $1000 just up the street.

Robert
Gibsons, B.C.
Canada

I just got scammed too. Theater Research TR-8000. $550. One punk in a red van in Cherry Hill, New Jersey. Just happend last night, on July 16th. I have the little jerk off's cell phone number. I called him last night right after I bought them and he picked up. We talked for a couple of minutes. Anyway, after I checked the web and found out it was a scam, I called him this morning, July 17th, but he didn't pick up. Should i bother calling the manufacturer? What are the options? Either way, I say we make them earn all the money that they scammed from us. There is a talk radio station in mid to south New Jersey called New Jersey 101.5. Want to send mass emails out to the DJ's there asking them to devote some time on it? Or has this already been done. I haven't heard of this scam at all, but is it well known? I say we get the word out now and fast. Also, any retired people get scammed. The AARP is a super strong organization and I think that we should let them know that our seniors are getting targeted and ripped off. Let's play every angle that we can. I'm just rambling off ideas. I have the summer off so I will devote as much time and leg work as needed. I'm still pissed off so I can't really think straight, but something has to be done, so post on this bulletin board or email me.

GT
What amazes me is what would possess people to buy speakers out of a van? You know you'll get no mfr warranty, you really don't have a place to return them if you don't like them, it just seems that you'd be taking a big chance to get ripped off. Maybe I'm just too conservative to spend my hard earned money on guys in a white van in a parking lot.

I guess some people just like taking a gamble.

timn8ter
If you think that's amazing, what about the number of threads on this website on the subject. That's truly amazing! It brings out the most intellectual statments too like "if i see em i kill em". Oh yeah, great stuff. I thought this was a site for discussing loudspeakers, not scams.

Tex
I just bought some (TR-5210). Paid $200.00 for them. Guy in green Explorer. If they work I guess I did okay. If not like the song says "Wont get fooled again".

Same here. Guy in Oklahoma City in a truck yelled at me and said "want some speakers?". Said he picked up his order and there were too many shipped. I got the Theater Research TR-501 Digital Series and two Pro Dynamics Elite KPP-901 tower speakers for $550. This does seem like quality merchandise, but just to be safe I did get the guy's license plate and car make/model in case they were stolen. Has anyone else heard of either the TR-501 Digital Series or the ProDynamics Elite (Pro Platinum Series) KPP-901 tower speakers (all black)? I was going to sell these, but am uncomfortable doing so unless I know something about them. Thanks.

Johnny Plow
This is very interesting because a couple of days ago(July 17 2003), I was approached in Burbank, CA. by two guys in a white van with the same story of having these speakers. They said that they had extra ones and needed to get them off their hands. They had the magazine with them in as well. They listed at $1999.00 and the model was the TR-5140 home theater system. I purchased them for $500.00 and I just hooked them up. They sound good to me even though there isn't too much of a manual that you would find in other audio components. The most frustrating thing about this was looking for more info on them thru the internet and finding nothing but this scam site. I do believe that it's a guerilla advertising tactic but at the same time, kind of suspect!! They sound better then the speakers that I had hooked up before, but I do intent to make sure that the warranty still stands. If you're in the Burbank area, watch out for a guy named Vinny in a white van, and if you do decide to get them, get him down to $300.00 or less.

Benny
Same thing happened to me.White van off the interstate.I purchased a pair of the tr-2810 and the tr-501 home theater sys comes with a self pwr subwofer and 5ea speakers all for $650.00.I hooked up the tr-2810 to my friends amp"carver 4000.sounded great.Even my friend was impressed.I have not checked the tr-501 yet.Has anybody checked one out yet?

Anonymous
Same here. White van in Woodland Hills parking lot, pulls up to me as I'm leaving. Two guys in their 20s with a van full of speakers. Against my better judgment I got a TR-8200 surround speaker system for $200 (had a $2500 retail price marked on the box - yeah right).

I guess I'll find out tonight when I hook the system up whether I ripped myself off by listening to these guys.

Anonymous
Hi. I actually listen to the tr 2800 at New World and brought it before reading John Peterson's post here. I think it's actually a
better speaker than the bose and sony there.
Anyway after getting home I lookup theater
research to buy some surround for the tr 2800,
but only found this website. I got a little
worry so i went back to the store and ask for an
exchange and they offer to let me take
another pair home and try it along side the tr
2800 and take back the one i didn't like.

i did for a day and decided to stick to
the tr2800. I paid about $530/pair. So
far it's been working good.

I think miguel's right. As long as the store
takes care of it's customer then i guess there's
nothing to do(unless we have proof of any
wrong doing).

But it just baffles me how profitable this scam
or con is suppose to work. I am an amateur wood
worker for 2 years now and I don't see how the
cabinet, grill, working drivers, the finish, etc
can be built for around ($50 as miguel has suggested).
John, you been to new world right? and
seen the speakers up front right? Looks
good and sounds good right? Just hope it's
not a scam. I am waiting a few weeks to
check theater research's website to see if
it's up yet.

I think about $500 or less is a fair price for these tr 2800, i don't think they're worth more than that.

John H Peterson
Anon,
yeah,i've been there,brought it home the TR-2810 for $500,they are still in the box till now cuz i dont have receiver to test drive it,my new home is being built ( finish at 9/23/03),'ve been looking building a HT ,and saw them at new world.They looked good and sounded good at store with their pioneer 512K receiver(low end),that made me think they will be good with higher end receiver.I think am gonna buy the Denon 1082 to drive it when my house is done.

i just got shammed yesterday. same deal. two guys in a suv made a proposal. said it was one of the guys 21st birthday. nice touch. f***** b*st*rds. well is there anything i can do about it. paid about 260 for mine, but what i wanna know is how can i get my money back? someone said that if it's within 3 days. is the newport beach # really real?

I bought speakers as well. Don't think they are that bad! Center channel speaker obviously built well and is shielded. I have no idea how to hook up the sub though. So if anyone has successfully hooked up the system to a 5.1 receiver please let me know how it is done.

Perez
July 24, 2003
My husband just got home from work with a "new pair of speakers." We are in Spokane, Washington - he bought them from a "guy in a truck" in Post Falls, Idaho. Just yelled at him to ask him if he wanted to buy some speakers. He paid $150 for a pair of TR-1400 - the connections look really different...did anyone else have this problem? I am nervous to hook them up!

Good luck to us all!

billy johnson
yea, i live in redlands, ca when some guy comes out of a white van , told me if i wanted to buy some speakers from him he said that some guy gave him too many and he wanted to sell them before he finds out. TR-5140 was the one he was trying to sell me, the box said 1,999.95 on it and he wanted like $600-$700, i told him i didnt have any money to give him so he told me that he will give me them for $200 and so i it after awhile..

Anonymous
Saturday ,July26,2003 - 8:45 CST
I live in St.Louis area.Guy at work said he new a guy who's son had 2 new TR-1500 in box for $1200.00/said they were over $4000.00 a pair.
Haven't seen and don't intend to ,after reading all the questionable feedback here.Would say all should steer clear of van sales speakers.He's either in the business(van) or got scammed by someone else ,and wants to unload them on someone else.

James Oxford
White van in Woodland Hills.

Well I've joined the party. A guy had all the goods and packaging looked professional. I pulled out $400.00 and took home the tr-2800 left and right speakers and the surround sound system with a subwoofer unit. If it is a scam it looks they've done a great job for that I applaud them. For 400 smackers I got out alive and if they're not worth it I felt I got a good deal and I'm still laughing.

I am a college student in florida, i had actually heard about this scam when oneday 2 men in a white van approached me with the "want some speakers" and "we were double loaded" they had the magazine and everything. I actually looked at and carefully inspected two tr-500 speakers, i was so impressed with build quality i actually picked them up, got them for 100 each, and i must say im very happy with my purchase, i have no complaints about the product quality or performance.

Anonymous
I know a buddy who just purchased a set of huge (front right and left) speakers, as well as a 5.1 set of speakers. I looked through the boxes with him and spent some time looking at the "warranty cards." I noticed not one, not two, not three, but SEVERAL spelling mistakes located throughout the tiny paperwork/cards... Also, they listed their website with spaces, and we all know that URL/website names do not have any spaces in them. I encouraged him to call the number listed for the Newport Beach address. Not sure if he did or not. Also, the paperwork stated that if you have a problem with the actual speakers, you need to physically send them to "Theater Research," instead of bringing them down and talking to someone about the problem. Physically send huge speakers through the mail, just for warranty purposes? That sounds pretty shady if you ask me... Of course, there is no receipt for the deal that is not really supposed to exist, so where is the proof of purchase? Don't you need a proof or purchase to claim any kind of warranty, should something go wrong with the speakers???

The story he told me about the "white van" and the ever-popular "our delivery happened to have one too many of these and we need to unload this great deal to you..." matched up to what others have posted on this site. Great deal or great scam???

Nell Dale
Hey John,
It's Me anon,
I drive my tr-2800 with a harmon kardon avr525(don't know if it's low end or what) but it
sounds good. About two days ago my brother was
talking to one of the local electronics store
here in orange country and they said that the
tr brand is real. I am still waiting for their
website to come on line. In the mean time I don't know if the $500 I paid for the tr-2800
are good speakers, but the do make a good home decor item :).

Yea, yea, yea. Got me too. I haven't hooked them up yet... the terminals are some of the strangest I have seen. Now, I don't claim to know much on the subject... it just seemed too good a deal to pass up since I had just been to a Bose store and was looking at a $3000 system. Well, the whole thing is just a bit too big for the new house, so now I do what? Sell them? Wait till I get into a bigger house? The feeling I am getting from you all is that they sound good, are quality speakers, but just not what they are advertised to be. Yes, I got scammed, I think, but for 400 bucks I got what seems to be a pretty good quality system and two huge standing speakers that probably sound pretty good. Who knows what the answer is?

John H Peterson
Nell Dale,
Glad to hear they sounded good,hope we made a right deal.By the way,what store did your brother call?

Anonymous
I got the TR-501 package. 5.1 type system. Purchased from 'Guy in a Van' in Milpitas, CA, who used the typical, "whoa, they gave me an extra box at the warehouse!" line.

"Retail Price" according to the packaging is $2499. Paid nowhere near that much, but enough to feel bad afterwards.

Hooked it up, turned it on, and to me it sounds like crap. It's not even worth $24.99.

It's good enough to pipe newscasts from the TV, but that's about it. Playing any type of music is a disaster.

Other great "features" about the TR-501: no indicator of volume level, shabby remote, and a general smell of black spraypaint.

Don't get Scammed! If it sounds too good to be true, it is.

I was approached by a couple of guys in a pontiac SUV with the logo of the company on it (Theater Research) they sold me the TR-5140 speakers for $200. The box was clearly labeled $1999.00 and showed me a catalog. He said he couldnt return them and I bought them. Now i see i got SCAMMED!!!!

Anonymous
I just bought a pair while goin to lunch. He wanted $500, i said $200, he said $350, i said $200. Bought it for $200 but I havent tried it. But even the manufacturing/packaging/shipping will cost at least $100. Plus other named brand companies are selling u the name as well. So as long as u pay no more than $200 (I should have said $100 just to be a dick). You arent really getting scammed. Just dont think bout warranties and crap.

Anonymous
Same deal here... I bought a set on friday - maroon(junky) van - and 2 young guys with the SAME story.. I bought a TR-5210, the whole surround sound set up. I only paid $180- I haven't set them up yet- but I'm anxious to see what I paid for. Does anyone know how to mount the small speakers to the brackets provided? Conveniently there are no instructions. There are no holes and nothing to attach the bracket to the speaker.. is it just me????

Anonymous
My brother just fell for the sales ploy. Couple guys in a van out of Little Rock with these "overstocked" speakers.
They said $1000 retail and they would sell them for $500, he paid $300. Probably is about $200 too much. These are probably cheap Chinese speakers that cost $50.
I guess there is one born every minute.
Don't ever, ever buy anything from guys in a van!

Anonymous
So, where the f*** are these dipshits that are selling these things getting these speakers? Shouldn't be calling them dipshits cuz I bought a pair too. Who are the ***** that started this scam? Are these speakers even made in this country? Anyone removed a driver to see who makes the component then tried traking this down?

Anonymous
I bought a set of surround sound speakers from the classic white van. They are the TR 501 and I have a problem with them it seems to be the volume it won't let me turn it up. I got scammed and I payed 500 bucks. the box said 2499.00.If anyone has info on this system please let me know.

Frank L
My brother fell for them too, 2 guys in a red dodge truck. They used the same sales technique delivery truck overstock and were not in the inventory list. They wanted $600 for whole system of 2 floor tower speakers and 5.1 powered sub woofer with 5 home theater surround speakers. He paid $200 for home theater system tr-6000. Do you think he over paid? We can't connect the damned thing. El Paso TX.

ju4n
Yeah i had the same deal with the guys in a green van and they gave me the same story about overstocking and i was like hmmmmmm.... they showed me the mag and they actually took it the sub outa the box ... so i paid 500 for a tr - 7000 series... idk bout the actual price but i found theater research on ebay, it and they must be a real company if there is this much product out there... any way my speakers sound great and the sub hits hard... peace ju4n

Peter Nguyen
Nell Dale,
I called all audio local store around OC and no one admited that they heard of TR speakers.Which one did your brother call?
Thank you

Anonymous
I was able to track down some of these idiots from their license plate numbers and my friends at Enterprise rent a car.
In Illinois:
AMERICAN SOUND SYSTEMS, INC.
1025 Lunt Avenue Unit B
SCHAUMBURG, IL
Joe Shallow
847-543-0420
847-331-5216

In Ohio:
AMERICAN SOUND SYSTEMS INC.
4930 Provident Drive
CINCINNATI, OH
(513)860-3035

Feel you got screwed? I got my money back. Go get yours.

josh
Just been conned men, two guys with a white van yelled at me and explained how they were in a deal and managed to get some speakers at a great price TR 2810, the list price was 1900 for one and 3800 for a pair. I offered 400 and got a pair thinking it was a great deal. Minutes later am on the internet trying to see how much I can make on this speakers. The first page to show on my search "Have you been scumed too???". Un believable!! but I like this... this jacks just got me, next time I will know what to say. Watch out men. FOX Undercover....

Anonymous
7-31-03
I just had a guy in a yellowish brown van do the same to me. I got his cell#, license plate#, and his signature. I did talk to him because after reading this I felt scammed. He offered to come and hook them up for me, but problem is they didn't come with a reciever. TR 5210 is what I bought for $220. Hope they work if not there will be 1 less salesman on the streets tomorrow!!

Indiana

the anonymous person that got your money back how did you do so and what are those two numbers and addresses that you posted i called them and got the answering machine they got me in orlando florida for the TR 5140 for $400 i want to do something about this there must be a company to contact my # is 321-303-2550

Anonymous
Here in Pasadena, CA, I was yelled at out of the window of a white Isuzu Trooper and asked if I would be interested in some speakers. The funny thing is that I had just returned from a frustrating trip to buy speakers! The offer was the TR-5140 home theater speaker system for $600. I took out my cellphone and dailed the LA County Sheriff Department and didn't hit the send key. After showing and telling him the number I dailed, I offered $200. It worked!

I got them home and hooked them up. The sound was much better than Awia speaker system it replaced. The printing on the box claims a retail price of $1999.00. $200 was a better price. I would have paid $300 for the sound I got. Watch these guys...they are very smooth.

E
This is all very interesting. I just bought a TR-5140 systems from a guy in a SUV in Virginia Beach. Same story, he needed to get rid of two extras. Box was marked $1999. He asked for $500. I gave him $300. This is probally some direct marketing company who only sells on the street. I have not hooked them up yet but they do seem to have good quality and design. Worth $200-$300, but no where near what they are asking for.

Anonymous
Just got scammed today too. Two guys (one heavyset guy and another younger-looking guy) yelled at me from their tan van that they had some speakers. Once again, they used the "overstocked" line. They claimed to be delivering the rest to Kenosha, Wis., but needed to get rid of the extras before they made the delivery. Said they were from Mount Prospect, Illinois. The speakers were the tr-1400s (2) and he originally said he'd sell them to me at half price for $1500. The packaging looked legit and he even had the magazine ads to show me. I told him all that i could get was $250, and he took it after little hesitation. I took them home and hooked them up right away...sounded ok...definitely not worth over a couple hundred dollars. If you're in the need for speakers and you don't have much to spend these would be ok if you can get them for less than $200. Watch out for these guys though, they're good.

Racine, WI

Anonymous
Same story in Kamloops, British Columbia. TR 5210's out of van for $200 Cnd. Weird.

jm
I have bought speakers from guys in vans 3 times over the last 5 years. Just bought another set yesterday for my son. I'm not real big on name brands but I do appreciate quality and a good value. I have found both in everything I have purchased from the vans. WORD OF CAUTION> in my opinion the price should be around 10% - 15% of what's on the box, at that price I think they're a bargain. When I lose money in the stock market I don't cry scam. I am responsible for my decisions, both good and bad. If you want to avoid ever being scammed, don't look for the great bargain, and especially expecting no risk. Ya win some and ya lose some, in this case I think I won.

GAJ
I just bought TR-7000 for $200. Same technique, "want speakers", from a van at Costco, Edison Parking lot. I hope they are of worth the price.

Feel so disgusted now. Gosh, what a start to the weekened.

nvn
Same story for me, two guys aproached me from Popeyes parking lot. He told me the warehouse accidently over stock his delivery van (white by the way) so he need to get ridge all of them. He has 10 of TR-2500 in his van. He also showed me the speaker in the Litewave magazine, which advertise for $999.99 each. He offered $1000 for a pair, then I made a countered $400. He hesitated a bit then load the speakers in my car trunk for me. Do you guys think I got rip off?

John S
Reading, PA

Same deal. white van, two guys, (broken record)

Any store closer than Phil?

one born every minute...

Anonymous
SAME THING AS JUST ABOUT EVERYONE ELSE. I GOT A PAIR OF 2810'S. 2 BIG AS FLOOR STANDING SUB'S. I HOOKED THEM UP AND THEY SOUND KILLER. THEY HIT HARD AS HELL. THE BOX SAID $1990 EACH. I GOT BOTH OF THEM FOR $220. WHITE VAN, AMERICAN SOUND SYSTEMS INC. ON THE SIDE. THEY BEST THING I CAN SAY IS, IF YOU ARE GOING TO BUY THEM, DO WHAT I DID AND MAKE HIM PULL THE SPEAKERS OUT OF THE BOX SO YOU CAN ATLEAST TAKE A LOOK AT THEM, SO YOU KNOW THEY ARE SPEAKERS, AND NOT A BOX FULL OF ROCKS. AND BID LOW. IF HE SAYS $500 YOU SAY $50. YOU CAN GET THEM FOR $100 - $200 EASY.

GOOD LUCK WITH ANYTHING YOU BUY FROM A VAN!

Yea, same thing happened to me. . i bought a tr-2810 for 360$ .. I can't believe I was ripped off like this .. I am such an idiot, but I will learn from it. I was offered this set in Rancho Cucamonga, so if anyone could help to find a nearby store with this company, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Lee V
http://www.doggdigitalaudio.com/Home.html

I got mine from the van and they are on this web site. Anyone elses on this site?

Panama City, FL - Bayou George Area. BLUE CHEVROLET MINI VAN.

Vacuming my car, and I was approached with the popular "overstock delivery van" I told them to follow me to my house and I traded him 1 brand new Cerwin Vega 124 Series Sub in a brand new custom made carpeted box, 2 Koiiler 1000w /ea 4OHM DVC Subs, and a fried Pioneer 800W AMP (I told them it was brand new but I paid 400 for it and it had a f****** recall and I didnt want to spend 100 bux to have it replaced. I am worried because these ***ers know where I live and Im getting more and more p***ed off by the minute. He told me he would see me driving my Bug and stop me to chat because he has a ton of VW parts, so if/when he does, Ive got something for him! BYW these were the 2 10' Car Audio speakers in the ported box.. They sound awesome, they hit harder then the Infinity Perfect 10's I had in there. But dont let these ****ers trick you, kick their a*s and jack their sh*t!

I told them the Pioneer AMP worked but it doesnt so go me!! (Correcting previous post!)

Anonymous
Hey.. I heard you can get your money back if you contact the company 3 days since you purchased the item. With no receipt, how do they know when and how much? What can I do?! If there is anybody out there that can help me, I'de appericate it! I want some damn money out of this, I want retail price out of this. Cause I paid damn near their retail price for these peices of shi*. I want to hunt these basta*ds down with a baseball bat! I heard they rent vans from Enterprise, I have some buddys up at Enterprise here, Im guna get some info on these guys, give them a call and see if I can get some payback for lurking me into buying bullshi* and taking my dignity. Stupid ****ing bas*ard, mother *ucker* peices of da*m sh** co** suckers! Sorry kids...

Mr Z
Unbelieveable marketing strategy...just go around with this lame excuse trying to push these unknown speakers on unsuspecting people. Well, it worked on me. Same story, same vehicle, paid 150 for the surround sound system. Finally got them hooked up, they actually sound great. I probably should have got them down a little more. But as long as they work and sound good, I won't be too upset. The quality does not appear to be poor at all. Strange.....

Anonymous
I bought the TR 2800s and TR 7000 (5.1 surround) for $400 (everything)

If you can get the speaker for less than $200...go for it. These guys are good and they would not take $175, so $200 seems to be the mark. Anyway, you get what you pay for. These speakers have quality details. I wouldn't be surprised if one of these high end companies wasn't making the TR brand, just the same as they make their other products. This would produce volume in sales compared to their other more pricey products, with less sales. You couldn't get this deal at any other electronics store with the lowest of their brands. Anyway...be careful and make a deal. Do not let them come to your house, b/c they might come back and get the rest of your stuff...

Anonymous
Yes...I got taken too. I have to admit...the guys were good. Magazine, invoice, addresses where they were going to do the install, etc. I bought 2 TR-900 speakers and the TR-5140 all for $350 and let me tell you...I really though I was getting a deal. Tell me I did somewhat okay. I know everyone else is getting these things for 200. I haven't hooked them up yet, but reading the bulletins...they don't sound too bad. I'll let you know when I plug 'em in.

Nailed? Tan Ford Explorer in Boca Raton, FL. Bought tr-5140 for two hundred dollars. Don't know if they work or not or what to expect from a dealer on the side of the road. If anyone has any info on this system please let me know. P.S. I know where they live and where they hang out at. short skinny dark hair guy, tall big build blonde hair guy. Let me know, we can go talk to them tonight:)

Curious
Why would we be 'scammed' if they sound good and the price we paid is not overpriced? Should I get some too? just wondering.

My husband bought our speakers the same way, off a truck, broad daylight, the drive accidentally given too many... ok now that we all fell for it what did we actually get! the subwoofer is an 800 watt non powered subwoofer the little speakers are crappy but the bigger one is ok. always the true test is how do they sound? the sound is ok. better then what we had but probably overall worth about $200.00. my husband paid $475.00 that was 1/2 of a Bose system Oh well live & learn

David G.
El Paso, TX . . . . . Anotha Sucka
My wife's uncle got talked into paying $200 for a pair of Theater Research TR-5210.

Anonymous
Same scam paid $200.00 for TR-5140 in WanutCreek California. The two guys were driving a black SUV.

Anonymous
I was approached buy two guys in a parking lot...same white van, same b.s. story, same magazine. They were good, even if they set off numerous red flags. After talking with him for several minutes I said ok, but let's head into my office and check out the website. Afterall, who's ever heard of theater research? After trying several times, it was clear the web site was either not there or still under construction. The sales person couldn't understand, "I was just on it yesterday." I told him I would still consider it if I could speak with somebody at the company. He said sure, "I'll just run out to the van and grab the number." He never returned. Mass marketing campaign...maybe. Scam...absolutely. This happened in south eastern Wisconsin.

They have reached Lexington North Carolina. Two guys in a white mini van at a gas station. They sold a lady that worked there some speakers and gave her a phone number to call. She called and said it was an actual company so I felt safe buying speakers. They showed me a catalog tried to get me to buy the theater system that goes for 2499.00 for 499.00 but I said no. they pulled a set of TR-1110 theater research surround sound speakers out of the box, said they wanted $400, that they retailed for $999 I paid $250. I hooked them up and they sound killer! These guys acted really nervous so I was somewhat suspicious but it seemed to be to good a deal to pass up.

prolly nervous about pissing you off and getting their as*
es kicked, are you built or big? im a little 5'7 135lb guy so they werent nervous until they say my 250 lb 7 foot of a dad, they left my house awful quick then.

BTW.. I saw them today at the mall, getting busted by a cop and mall security. I stopped and talked to the officers about it. I was in a rush so I had to dip out of there quickly, I dont know what happend though, I have some sources at the news station, I'll see if they have any 411 and let you guys know!

I bought a pair of Denmark speakers two years ago from two guys in a white van. I was really rather weary about buying them, but after hooking them up to my reciever I was all for it - scam or not they sound freakin great. So just yesterday I saw some guys in a van and noticed they were selling speakers. I approached them and asked them what kind they had and, of course, they told me they were Theatre Research and that that had a some leftovers from a delivery. I told them they were full of s*** but that I still wanted to hear the speakers. They asked me how much I got my Denmarks for and I told them $200 for a pair. They said they wanted me to buy them for $500... after it was said and done, I got a pair of TR-1400s and my friend got the 6000 series home theater system for $500. Like I said before, I don't care if they are full of crap... the speakers sound better than my DJ friend's JBLs and he paid a hell of a lot more than I did... he said so himself. My friend's surround sound system sounds better than the sony system one of my other friends has and at only a fraction of the price.

H-Town Scamee
Same here. 2 Guys came up to me while I was pumping gas 2 weeks ago and they told me their boss, and magazine story. They told me they were going for a $1000 each, and I was wasn't convinced. But I lowered them to $600 a pair.I thought it was a good deal (until I found this website). I'm not totally disappointed because they sound really good. I already tested them and they bang for real. My mom told me too,"Mi'jo,no nos vayan a chingar porque pueden ser de mentiras." I don't know if I should tell her yet. DON'T PAY TOO MUCH LIKE ME.

danny from OC
same freaking story! huntington beach gas station, got stopped by a chick in a jeep SUV with nevada plates named Christy. She offered the TR-5210 for $200 and i took her up on it believing her story. sounds okay so far... but i guess we will see what the real deal is. from this posting stuff, this is all relatively short lived. interesting... keep us updated!

paybackoc@hotmail.com
Hey for all the OC ppls in california. Give me some info. What was the guys look like, name, age, etc etc anything of value so I could track these fools down. If anybody wants to roll down and sweat the newport beach office hit me up at this email. This email is not for the pussys who wants to cry about sh!t. If you down to do something than hit me up.

I bought the 2800's I think there awesome speakers. Paid $160 for them, same scam, but is it really a scam? Im own my own store, and if they really did cost 50 bucks each, the average mark up of somthing like that is usually 100-150%. I would say i walked out on the up and up!

So does anyone know what all the models do? Whats the best? I would give these speakers A+++ quality. I have bose towers that i paid about $1000 per tower, they sound better, deffinatly better base!

w00t. Same thing happened to me today. Gray Van, Overstocked, etc etc. I walked out with a set of tr-1500 speakers for the low cost of 160 bucks. I think I got a steal because of the materials used, and GREAT quality!!! Only thing is that I myself do not know how to connect them... Somebody please help me, they have 4 connections in the back each and I dont know the first thing about wiring them. Any help is awesome, just email me at AquaFlare7@comcast.net

hey paybackOC,

White Van, an average sized white blonde male about 5'11", talked like a surfer.. said this deal is "killer"... blah blah... Then there was another guy in the van with sunglasses, dark hair, short & built, probably mexican decent, didn't really say much, both are perhaps in their 20s.. those as*es got me too for 360$. I'm down for whatever plan you have. We could join and do something about this nonsense. I don't care if i did get a good deal on some quality speakers, their story is a bunch of bs and I want them to somehow pay every cent back if it's the last thing i do. Their headquarters around SoCal is in long beach. Lets pay them a visit.

Anonymous
You guys...this is not really a scam. They don't run off with your money and leave you holding their jacket. You don't get home and open the box and find bricks inside. You end up with working speakers that are probably worth pretty much what you paid for them. The only thing you can be mad at is that they're not worth $2,000 each. In other words, you were going to scam them!! You thought you were smarter than them, but it turns out they're smarter than you. They're just preying on your greed as a sales tactic, which leaves you feeling scammed when you find out. These guys have a great grasp of human psychology and behaviour. Why don't you get mad at Bose instead--they charge ridiculous amounts of $$ for complete crap. They have to because they spend so much on advertising--these guys have no overhead at all (except for gas)Just plug 'em and crank it up!!!

I bought some today in La Mirida California, same old story as the rest of you. But these speakers are really cool. Not a scam at all. Me and my friend both bought one, $175 each. Theres no way you would find speakers anywhere near that price at speaker stores. I had just bought 120 watt speakers for 100...So shelling out $75 more for 800 watts was that hard for me to do. Buy them if you see them, but dont pay more than $200.

doug pennoyer
My son and a friend both bought the Theater Research TR-Professional Home Theater 5140 speaker set for $175 on August 6 in La Mirada, CA from a guy with Canadian ID who approached them at a bank. He opened the system up in the open and even took them to a store where he hooked up the a speaker to prove the system worked. They called the Newport number and the "owner" answered and said the warranty was good. I was upset when my son called me on his cell phone and I told him it was probably a scam. However when he came home and hooked up the system on a inexpensive 130 Watt DVD system the 5.1 surround sound was incredible. The speakers look like very quality merchandise and for the price this appears to be a good deal. Still I would not recommend that anyone purchase merchandise off the street.

GAJ
I bought the Theater "..ing" Research TR-7000 system, but am yet to hook it up.

Please share with me if anyone has any experience with this particular system.

Thanks

J.B.
Doug Pennoyer, Can you tell me how you hooked the tr-5140 system up?

Hello Everyone,
TR made better speakers than Bose, JBL or Polk Audio and better prices. If you want to buy these speakers, don't ever buy them off the street because they are either fake or stolen and you don't get the warranty. The only store that sell these speakers is New World Electronics
at 6711 westminster blvd, Westminster CA 92683.
714-899-5848. I've been to this store and listened to the tr2800 and tr2810. They out performed Bose 701 and 601 and JBL S312. If you need more information, please send me a email at ibuydigital@aol.com

Anonymous
Hey,

Fell for the same crap here in San Diego.
These were the TR-1100 series, got em for 100 bucks for the pair, and they sound much better than my old JBl's.

Eric
Well, I got taken by these guys yesterday in Grand Rapids, MI. I usually consider myself too smart to be conned, and actually I suspected that they weren't "legitimate" criminals in the first place. I think the only thing that these guys are hurting is our pride, actually. You feel kind of stupid when you find out, but you do end up with some decent speakers. I paid $220 for the TR-2800's. Frankly, if you bought the speakers on the same story I did, that the warehouse gave them an extra pair and they wanted to get some cash for them rather than take them back, then YOU ARE NOT THE MOST HONEST PERSON IN THE WORLD EITHER! Face it, your greed got the better of you, just like mine did. Good for these guys, I say. They certainly taught me a lesson.

John H Peterson
Everyone,
The site is up,let's see what they have now.

http://www.trtheaterresearch.com/

These guys must travel around the country in the same white van! You can track there path when you read peoples' messages from different days. I was at a Walmart on 28th street in Grand Rapids, MI. I haven't hooked the speakers up yet, but I am looking forward to it. It sounds like most people are satisfied. I paid $200 for two TR-1400. What a crazy business

SCN
A co-worker just approached me about these speakers and says he's got 2 of the TR-1110 (250 watters) brand new in a box from his brother who bought them and then had to go out of town for a few weeks due to his wife's family emergency. Said they sold them to him (my co-worker) cheap because they needed to travel fast and didn't have time to exchange them. They weren't sure how long they would be gone. Told him to consider it a gift, and he could return them if he wanted. I have known my co-worker for a long time and have no reason to doubt him. If the story is not true, then he was lied to by his own family and believes it himself. He does say his brother provided him with a legitimate receipt. He thought of me because I had some audio catalogs on my desk. Being skeptical, I decided to research the product before I buy as I have been shopping for new towers for a new Kenwood Lucas surround sound receiver I have. I have been looking for a deal on high end speakers. Anyway, I ran into this board and the general consensus is that they sound great, really thump, they're cheap, and come with a warantee;so how is that a rip off? The TR website is up, but being updated, and there is a phone number provided. I called it, and after speaking to what sounded like an office girl, spoke to, "Bob" who says he is the manufacturer. The backround noise sounded like a shop. He says he sells directly to audio distributors and warehousers who then sell them off to retailers. He said he does not sell direct to the public or the end retailer, but did offer to send me a catalog about his product. He said he uses only high end materials and they sound great. He seems hopeful the business will take off since it's relatively new, and hopes the product will make a reputable mark in the world of audio.I will look at all the evidence, call the retailer to see if I can get a demo, wait for his catalog to come, pull the speakers being offered to me out of the box and check the quality, and then make an educated decision based on the facts I have gathered. If my co-worker decides to return them or sell them in the mean time, then so be it. I'll let you guys know what I find out...

Anonymous
same thing here.approached by two guys in awhite van saying thay they got some extra speakers on them that they really needed to get rid off on their lunch break.brand name you guessed"theater research tr 1800".they asked for 700 bucks for a pair .i offered 400 for a pair and they finally said ok.so i put the speakers in my trunk and told them i'll be back in couple minutes with the cash.what i did i ran inside the office and looked type the brand name in google window .this is how i found out about this site.i printed out a few messages and i went back to them.they had a few magazines on hand that they showed me and the speakers were advertised for 1955.- in the ads.i told them i would pay 100 bucks but they choose to take the speakers back.i said ok and i wished them good luck.after all you can not blame them.there's worse things people do to make some money.their van had a company logo on it with a phone number and everything.i don't know if this is a scam(very likely is!!!) i'm just happy i did not pay 400 for them

Anonymous
same thing here.approached by two guys in awhite van saying thay they got some extra speakers on them that they really needed to get rid off on their lunch break.brand name you guessed"theater research tr 1800".they asked for 700 bucks for a pair .i offered 400 for a pair and they finally said ok.so i put the speakers in my trunk and told them i'll be back in couple minutes with the cash.what i did i ran inside the office and looked type the brand name in google window .this is how i found out about this site.i printed out a few messages and i went back to them.they had a few magazines on hand that they showed me and the speakers were advertised for 1955.- in the ads.i told them i would pay 100 bucks but they choose to take the speakers back.i said ok and i wished them good luck.after all you can not blame them.there's worse things people do to make some money.their van had a company logo on it with a phone number and everything.i don't know if this is a scam(very likely is!!!) i'm just happy i did not pay 400 for them

Anonymous
I just bought a pair of TR2800 for $500. They asked for $700. I have been using very high quality electronics from a long time. These are speakers not comparable to either Sony or Bose. Sony doesnt have any professional quality speaker and Bose is around the bottom which is pretty much the same quality as JBL. I would consider the next 2 tiers up for Kliptsch or Definitive Technology and somewhat Boston Acoustics. I would rate these speakers above that but below Martin Logans, which are $2500-$6000 speakers. In design it caught my eyes as it resembles B&W, which are $5000-$25000 speakers. Theater Research TR2800 is no where near that, but yet there are similarities in design.

I have tested these speakers with Harmon Kardon Power amp, Mackintosh Power amp and Denon avr4800 receiver. Denon was a THX receiver and others were DTS. It responded best with the Denon. These are true digital speakers. I havent tried any optical connections yet, but not expecting surprises.

I am not a marketing type person. So, its beyond me that street slaes at such cheap price could serve any purpose for the market these speakers are belonged to. Why make such good quality spekears and try to reach the mass. These are for more serious listners, which isnt the mass. But I have known weired ideas to hit the jackpot. In any case, I seriousely question the way these are sold right now. What am I missing?.......

Anonymous
I got hit with the same scam today when walking out of the bank...paid 120 for 2 speakers, brought them home and hooked them up and they sound fine. Not sure what the deal is?? But I would like to look at the website once it is up, if that ever happens I guess we'll have to wait and see. I actually thought the speakers were hot when first picking them up. The guy had the magazine that was pricing them out about 2 grand for the set and the same story of overstocking on a certain order they had in town....be wary of these guys becuase there are extrememly good at what they do, I wouldn't pay over 250 for a set.

Anonymous
These TR2800 speakers do look like a rip off of B&W speakers. Even the woofer is servo control technology. Any 8" servo controlled sebwoofer would cost at least $600. The 5-midrange is the new design trend in digital sound systems. the twiteer is also very good. Could it be someone steeling the B&W acoustic design and selling at way cheaper price without paying any copright to B&W?.......but it sure is a hell of a deal to get a pair for $500.

QUOTE "I just bought a pair of TR2800 for $500. They asked for $700. I have been using very high quality electronics from a long time. These are speakers not comparable to either Sony or Bose. Sony doesnt have any professional quality speaker and Bose is around the bottom which is pretty much the same quality as JBL. I would consider the next 2 tiers up for Kliptsch or Definitive Technology and somewhat Boston Acoustics. I would rate these speakers above that but below Martin Logans, which are $2500-$6000 speakers. In design it caught my eyes as it resembles B&W, which are $5000-$25000 speakers. Theater Research TR2800 is no where near that, but yet there are similarities in design.

I have tested these speakers with Harmon Kardon Power amp, Mackintosh Power amp and Denon avr4800 receiver. Denon was a THX receiver and others were DTS. It responded best with the Denon. These are true digital speakers. I havent tried any optical connections yet, but not expecting surprises."

That is the most uneducated thing i have ever heard in my life. You obviously have no clue about home audio. You speak of Martin Logan (that actually go up to $75,000 per pair) and "Mackintosh" what the hell is that? ooooh. you misspelled it. lol... i really doubt you have even touched a Denon 4800, or a McIntosh amp. And as for build quality... hmm.. on the website they claim the floor standing speakers are about 30lbs each. I sell bookshelf speakers that are twice that!! I have been selling Home Audio for a long time now, and i can tell you, that this is NOT a new company. I live in Oklahoma, and was almost scammed by these clowns over 10 years ago!! same story... same van.

of course, you all realize that they are different vans, and different people, all working for the same place, doing the same scam.

John N .
jason W,
dont blame him for whatever he said,he acctually 's working for New World Electronic,as you know,sales
man knows sh*t about everything(that's wat they are). To anon,to convince ppls to buy ur speakers not to do this way cuz over here ya will get caught by any one who love audio .

Just bought a pair of "didital" speakers, not digital but didital, TR-2500. STATIC STATIC STATIC! Could possibly be my amp but STATIC STATIC STATIC! The damn box said didital speakers. Sometin definetly wrong here. Im from Quincy, MA right outside Boston. Same white van in a Blockbuster parkinglot. TRACK IT. Some one should find these guys and jack em, for all their supply of sh*t in that white van!

Anonymous
Now in norfolk VA, just got duped by the same scam, man in white van waveing a friend and i in a parking lot at Best By of all places. Gave us a story how the factory messed up on an order and happened before, but last time he returned them to his boss, and his boss turned around and sold them for person cash. This time was his turn. Showed us a magazine and gave us a cell number to call if we wanted to return the 600W 10" digital subsoofers. Hooking them up tomorrow and checking the sound quality out. from what I read above, is about 50 50 chance of being excelent or crap.
My friend has the guys name and cell number and will post it pending how crapy the speakers turn out, he's drives a white SUV with license plate #

RTJ4973 be warned

Anonymous
Same crap happened to me in Monmouth County Nj...I got them though.. I told them i had more money in my bank account..went over and pretended like I was all out..by the time i was done..had already wasted over an 1 hour of there time and ended up giving them 120 and a busted radar detector..soo i got them..the fool tried to get my watch and i smelt the scam from that moment..they try to be real friendly and act like they are cutting you a deal...2 young j*ackoffs in a white van...Good thing I out schemed them..good look

Just got F***ed. Two guys in a van, offered a pair of TR-2810 with a posted price of $1,999 each. Paid $600 for both thinking it was a great deal. I did not need speakers coz I already have a Bose sorround system but could not pass the "great deal". Does anyone know how I can get my money back please?

2-guys, white van and me, the villge idiot. Bought the TR2500 for $250 and they don't sound good. I hustled home to hook them up but, one sounded thin and the other really bad. My last hope is that I'm hooking them up wrong. So, how do you hook them up? I'm going to LA Sunday and have thought about paying a visit to 3419 Via Lido #249 just to see, It's probably a mail slot. But, this is what gets me, the product looks good, not cheap at all. I know,I know, buying speakers with out hearing them is plain stupid. The guy asked if I wanted him to bring them to my house to hook up (like I was gonna let him in my house). Anyway, I have the one guys driver license number and a "store" reciept, don't know what good it will do. If you're in Dayton Ohio look out for a "young, round guy from Chicago and an old hippie with mutton chop side burns by the name of David S. Anyone want them for $250, they're yours.

You know I've been tracking this thread since the beginning and for some reason I want to meet these guys, I am really intrigued. This is some great publicity for this speakers, and despite all the warnings I want to buy a pair or maybe scam them out of a pair and tell them that I am going to write an article about it on some trumped up audiophile magazine.
Cheers

Ryan Koz
I just bought a pair of the 2800's off of these guys in a white van here in Antioch, IL. They showed me the brocher and everything so i thought it was legit. But I am not quite so sure anymore. I only paid $300. I hooked them up and they seem to sound just fine. This is pretty shady business though. It's really crazy that these guys have been all over the country. I got a reciept and he guaranteed a three year parts and labor warantee. So i said sure. Who knows.

same thing happened to me two guys in a white van at streets i got em for like 230 i think. if the same stuff is happening to everybody its probably a scam but the speakers sound alright to me...what i wanna know is if they are selling it to me for 230 bucks how are they scamming me...i mean the packaging the brochures the documentation the speakers; they all look very legit. I'm sure that doenst' come cheap so how is it they are making money offa my measley 230 bucks? No matter what though this seems really shady so i wouldnt' buy unless your looking for inexpensive speakers. Other wise play it safe and stick to a real store. DON'T PAY MORE THAN 200 if you do buy. Oh yeah the website is pretty badly done check it out
they can't even spell "unique" right and a lot of links are broken, signs of a bad company
if someone can give me more insight on this matter whether i was scammed or not please email me

same thing happened to me two guys in a white van at streets i got em for like 230 i think. if the same stuff is happening to everybody its probably a scam but the speakers sound alright to me...what i wanna know is if they are selling it to me for 230 bucks how are they scamming me...i mean the packaging the brochures the documentation the speakers; they all look very legit. I'm sure that doenst' come cheap so how is it they are making money offa my measley 230 bucks? No matter what though this seems really shady so i wouldnt' buy unless your looking for inexpensive speakers. Other wise play it safe and stick to a real store. DON'T PAY MORE THAN 200 if you do buy. Oh yeah the website is pretty badly done check it out
they can't even spell "unique" right and a lot of links are broken, signs of a bad company
if someone can give me more insight on this matter whether i was scammed or not please email me
the website looks damn legit to me

Jason
Same thing in Falgstaff black truck tr-5140 $200.

Anonymous
I had the White Van Guy sell me a Home Theater System with DVD player for $250.00. He claimed they cost $2500 with an ad in a magazine. It's 700 watts...I figured, what the hell...I had just bought a 75 watt speaker system for my computer for $80...700 watts would blow! So, I returned the smaller speakers. I had to buy 4 extra wires. 3 2-into1 rca wires and S-Video wire...works well. Thier website does say $2500.
http://www.ibizcarts.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=TR-6100&Category_Code=ht-set&Store_Code=thr

Anonymous
Oh by the way...the White Van Guy's name is "GIO" and his Telephone Number is (615) 429-6636....for those who care...

Anonymous
Same here, just picked up a pair of TR-2800 Tower speakers, there was these two guys that just yelled @ me and asked me if i wanted some speakers, overstocked or something like that. In Northridge, they where in a light brown Suburban. They where two white males, in their 20's like surfers. They showed me a magazine that showed the speakers at $2000 each. He asked for $400 for the pair. But I told him too expensive. I even straight out asked him if he was a cop. He laughed and said no, but he would give me his license. Then, he said $220 for the pair. I bought them and was afraid whether they worked or not. They seem to work very well. Luckily.

Anonymous
I finally hooked up the Home Theater System TR-6100 to my computer...I found that the DVD player couldn't be hooked to the computer...I'm not fretting because I already have 2 DVD burners in my computer, so this DVD Player is going to another TV in another room....as for the quality of sound...LOW compared to other 700 watt systems...the Sub Woofer isn't too loud. The 7 speakers are ok, but not the strongest. A bit crackly...but for $250, it's ok.

John D.
They're all the way into Minnesota Now. Yesterday I bought a pair of pro dynamics elite series tower speakers for $120 from 2 stoners in a red silverado. A guy before me paid $300. They were parked in a Circut City Parking lot in Maplewood. (Near St. Paul) They also had a bunch of Theater Research sets of surround systems. I tested the speakers with My onkyo receiver as well as with my onkyo intigrated stereo amp and eq. The speakers sound great. They sound just as good as my goky towers ($1000 a pair) and better than my KLH floor speakers. The only downside is that they're 4 ohm and they take a lot of power. As far as I'm concerned this is killer deal. I paid $100 on sale for a pair of KLH 12" 3-way speakers and these pro dynamics are way better. Crystal Clear sound and loud and look incredible. I used to work in a fixture shop and I don't know how these could be constructed for less than what I paid for them. I mean $60 a speakers with aluminum cones nice tweeters, an 8", and really nice material. Nice woodgrain. I wish I had the dudes phone number. A good speaker is a good speaker whether it's made in China or America. There isn't much technology involved. As of now I'm extremly happy with what I got. I just couldn't believe how good they sounded. But then again they could fall apart in a month. JUST DON'T EVER GIVE THEM AS MUCH $ AS THEY WANT. I got the same speakers as a guy who went to the cash machine and paid $300.

Anonymous
yea i got the same thing for $400 TR-2810 digital series up in Cape Cod, Ma. He had the color ad, white van, and a receipt from a place called American Sound Systems, Inc. 120 Ingell St. Taunton, MA 02780 phone (508) 821-2543. I havent hooked them up yet because theres no istructions and i cant figure out what wires or cables i need

Jay
Well, I guess I will add my story. Yesterday, I bought two TR-1400 speakers from two guys in a white van. Same story as everyone else. They wanted $600. I had them take one out of the box and I inspected it thoroughly. Everything looked good so I bought the pair for $300. They gave me a receipt and everything. As soon as I got back in my car I followed them in traffic and got their license plate number and called the phone number on the receipt. The number was legit, and the guy acknowledged that he had two vans out selling speakers. He told me to make sure to send in my warranty card, and I would get 3 years parts and labor.

Still I was skeptical. I was wondering if I just bought a set of bum speakers or what. I knew they were speakers, but did they work? I took them home and hooked them up. They sound great. They handle a lot of power, and they remain clear to about as loud as I can handle (which is pretty loud). The cabinets look great, and the speakers seem to be high quality.

I'll be the first to admit, this situation is kind of shady for some reason. But to all of you complaining about getting scammed....How do you figure? The speakers work, and you got them for the price you agreed on. They promised a nice working speaker, and in exchange you gave them money.

So what if the name brand isn't "Bose" or "Infinity"? They sound just as good. I have two medium/high quality systems, and these speakers sound better than both. I am happy. I don't know anywhere else I could buy speakers of this quality for $150 a piece.

I just wonder, why do they use the corny scam story about having too many or whatever? I wonder why they don't just go to flea markets or something and sell the crap out of them legitimately. They could sell them in mass quantities to stores and make more money for less work. Who knows?

BTW, I am in Dayton OH. The name on the reciept was the Cincinnati address that the guy posted above.

Anonymous
I recently bought the TR6000 6 piece speakers also from a van. I had my doubts after reading all your comments. I hooked my speakers up last night and all my doubts went away. These are some of the nicest sounding speakers I've heard so far (Compared them to Bose, Sony and JVC). I paid $130 for them and they are well worth it. The only thing I wish they would of done is put some sort of digital display on the subwoofer so you can tell what your doing when using the remote.

Anonymous
Their marketing method works for them....you see, we all fell for it...Of course, I think I got a deal on the Home Theater System, because the speakers are pretty good and the DVD Player is great (Dvd players are sooo cheap now). I think it's all in the deal...they told me $500 and I bargained it down to $200...they said the system cost $2500....HA...I don't think so, but $200 is fair.

Anonymous
This was the same company that did this same type of marketing in our market (I am in Idaho) approximately four or five years ago. Same story; speakers out of a van and the gentlemen in the van gave the EXACT same story as the one they are telling you guys now. The only difference? Back then the speakers were called Design Monitors and now they are called Theater Research. My only question is if they are so legitimate then why do they have to be sold out of a van with some b-s story? And furthermore, how many of you have asked to see a copy of their resale certificate in the state you are purchasing them from? Don't get me wrong; you may not even CARE if they are a legitimate business who is paying the sales tax you are paying them. But just because you are getting a receipt does not mean it is a legitimate business enterprise. I just don't think I am too comfortable giving amy amount of my hard earned money to somebody who I am not sure represents a legitimate business who really WILL be able to offer service on their product two years down the road.
However, I do hope you all enjoy your speakers and find them to give you years of pleasure.

Anonymous
BTW, the reason these speakers are so cheap with nice looking cabinets is that they (the cabinets anyway) are built in China. The Chinese actually do some pretty darned cheap wood working these days.
The rest of the speaker components however, are CRAP!

Anonymous
Yup, got me too, they wanted $750 for a set of TR-2800, I said $500 and should have gone lower, and they would have taken it, but since I"m such a nice guy and apparently gullable I handed him the rest of the cash I had, so gave them $600 total. Ugh! Grand Rapids MI, the white van cometh.

Anonymous
Same guy from GR MI. Has anyone persued a return on the speakers? If so, how did it go? Got a sales receipt from an American Sound Systems INC. phone 847-534-0420 out of IL. I'm going to try and get my money back since I legally can within 3 days of purchase. Oh, I hooked one up to compare to my old speakers... they're decent enough, but hella not worth $600. I'd say $200 max is a decent deal.

Hi
I'm near San Jose and the same thing happened
white van, TR-5140 cute story good acting
guys first came up offering to sell me some towers for 250$ I didnt have the cash.
An Indian dude told me his friend got scammed
Ima sucker and got it for 150$ which is all I had.
In the end I think i still got a pretty good deal.

This is a message I sent to a guy who is pissed off at his purchase of Theater Research Home Theater Speaker System:
I don't mean to get you even more pissed off but, I just bought a Theater Research Home Theater Speaker System TR 5130 Pro Series III from a guy out of a white van today, hooked it all up and it really sounds fantastic. It might also interest you to know though, that I only paid $140.00 for it. I think I got the deal of the century. Would you feel as pissed off if you had gotten the same deal I did? If its legal, and it appears to be... whats your beef? This is America... home of the "free trade market". If someone can get a good deal, I wish them good luck. If you really want to be pissed off at someone, I think you should start with yourself for not getting a better deal... with all due respect!!! Regards, fasteddy

Anonymous
Pleasant Hill, CA - $300 for TR-8200s. Stoner guy in a white SUV with Arizona plate stealthily displayed (behind tinted window) doing the "hey want some speakers" routine. He scammed me, but at least it wasn't that bad. Really, the speakers seem to be pretty nice - I'm not too disappointed at all, asside from the fact that I'm now a statistic.

ARG!

I got scammed too. Newark, California (outside Newpark Mall), 2 guys, white van, extra inventroy, yada yada yada..

TR-5210, $250. Box says $1999.99

I know nothing about speakers, so I showed them to my friend (been a stereo freak for a decade), said they're basically worth what I paid.

I never fall for anything like this, they were very smooth, very aggressive, and caught me totally off guard.

I'd like to get my money back, but after finding this website, I'm doubt I will.

Have hooked up the side speakers, and center, they sound better than the aiwa and sony that's I have now. Still I feel like a complete idiot.

If anyone in the Nor Cal area has found out how to get their money back, please email me.

Good luck to the rest of you.

Anonymous
Just got hit up in Garden Grove, Ca. Shell gas station. 4 people in a Lexus RX300(?)SUV tan color. One hispanic guy didn't do any talking, one girl looked wasted. Two guys with blond hair. The guy doing the talking "Bill" gave me the story...I install these the (TR-5140 Theater System) in high end suites at hotels Hyatt..etc. ther're extra and my boss is just going to sell them to somebody. We're from Las Vegas and this is our rent a car. The two blond guys were either stoned or drunk. anyway I paid $200 bucks...they kept hitting me up for another $20 for a couple of beers etc. Don't tell my boss. Another guy offered $700 but wanted to write a check. These guys had a lot of lines. Very aggressive. I walked away several times. The guy took the speakers out of the box and showed them to me. Carried them to my truck when I walked away. From what the other postings say the speakers are worth $200 bucks. I lived right around the corner and found the website sucked. Read the warranty which he showed me but I didn't open...looked official, but doesn't have TR-5140 anywhere on the form. Newport Beach CA address.

It was the aluminized cones that sold me (materials) HA! I feel like an idiot but don't know if I got ripped or not.

Anonymous
Anon,
"New world Electronic"in the corner of Westminster and Goldenwest carries all the TR speakers .Made in China .They are good or not ??? ....no idea .

GRsap
Ok, here we go. Grand Rapids MI again. I'm a stupid idiot. The reciept is a legally binding contract, and you have 3 days to cancel the purchase for a full refund. Of course, all that means nothing if the reciept is dated a month ago. LOL. God I"m kicking myself, I can't believe I didn't see it. Poorest $600 decision I'll ever make. I've never been taken before, and I'm now sure as hell never going to be taken again. Lessons of life. Right now I"m just wishing I'd paid 200-300 like the rest of you, at least then I would have almost gotten my money's worth.

Anonymous
Same freaking deal. $200 for the TR 5210's. Two guys in an explorer cruising down the road. I told them I'd give them another hundred after I hooked them up and checked out their quality. They never called back to pick up the other hundred. The cabinets are of high quality they look very good. After hooking them up, I didn't care. They sound better than my 200watt bose bookshelf speakers. Who knows how long they'll last. Quality seems good for now. I'm going to pull a speaker and check out the actual specs tonight..I'll get back to you.

Jay From Ohio- I posted earlier about my TR 2500. Send me an email. I want to compare stories to see if you got any more info than I did. The reason it's a scam is mine sound like crap/broken and it's fraud the way they represent them.
I called the company to ask about how you hook up the four posts and the guy is gone for the day that does that. What, only one "guy" (not tech) knows how to do this.

Nell Dale
Peter & John,
I haven't seen my brother since so i don't know
who or what store he's talking about. I still doubt that he's correct though so I don't give that much thought. But anyway what do you all think of theater research's
new web site? http://www.trtheaterresearch.com
I was under the impression that tr's office was in newport beach, CA. but after looking at their new website, it's in Huntington Beach, CA.
The prices on the website is as inflated as the
guys in the van.I hope someone will take apart one of these speakers and take a look at the internal components.

Anonymous
I removed the speakers from the TR5210 sub box. Everything seems normal. The label on the box rated the speakers at 4.8 ohms the label on the speakers state 8 ohms. Caps and coils were there. Dampening material was glued to all interior walls. The speakers themselves were labelled to be rated for 200 watts, same as the label reads. The speaker's magenets were large enough and coil looked right. Cranking it up with the bass turned up and treble turned down I could still hear the mids and highs in the music, though they weren't at a level to damage the speakers. Seems OK...for now.

Bill
I guess I'm the latest sucker. Just bought a TR-5210 from two guys in an white explorer. They gave me the same story as the ones i've been reading. But i'm kind of excited in trying it out, from what i hear from most of you the system doesn't sound bad, and since i got mine for $100 maybe it's worth the buy...But i'll wait to hear for myself if it's worth it.

I almost bought a set of TR-2800 on E-Bay. I checked out on a search engine and found this site. I'm glad that I did cause the guy wanted $400 bucks with free shipping. Think I'll wait till I find the guys in the white van and save a couple of hundred. If the cabnets are nice, put some quality drivers in them with some efficient crossover networks. Good looking cabnets are very hard to build and look good. I havent seen the four posts on the speakers that I've been reading about, but it is possible that the speakers could be a bi-wire design. Just a thought. I think that the company is looking to make a quick buck with a hit or miss product. They have no name recognition yet. Hewlet-Packard was based out of one mans garage. Though he probably didn't peddle his merchandise the way Theater Reaserch does is a different story. Good luck to everyone!

Anonymous
WOW! These messages are AMAZING! My husband called me today at work and told me about this "deal"..bank parking lot, guy in a white van....after reading all of these messages I just have to laugh! My first reaction when he told me was "oh my God, did you open them and make sure they weren't bricks??" (He's in a cast so the guy loaded them in his car for him). Same story as all the rest T-900 - guys says they sell for $999each and wanted $1000 for the pair - my husband gave him $200. We're no saints either - he figured he could resell for $500 each. But, I got home, took a look at the box and said "hey we got these $1000 apiece speakers, I might want to just keep them myself" so I took them out of the box, hooked them up and they sound great! It's funny though because after reading all these messages, I'm not going to sell them to someone else. They're mine now! And that's OK, they sound good and we didn't pay a huge amount of money - although I know that if my husband didn't think he was getting the "deal of the century' he wouldn't have bought them. But as it's already been said "who buys speakers out of a van anyway?"
I don't feel ripped off...I just have to laugh.

Another one from Racine, WI

Anonymous
ALLOW ME TO JOIN EVERYONE BEFORE ME IN BEING SOLD BY THE SMOOTHEST, GREY-VAN DRIVING SALESMAN EVER. GOT ME IN CHERRY HILL, NJ AT A BANK PARKING LOT. HOW CONVENIENT. I'V NEVER BEEN SCAMMED BEFORE AND I DON'T FEEL SCAMMED NOW. TODAY I BOUGHT A PAIR OF TR1110s AND THE TR8000 6 SPEAKER SYSTEM. I DON'T KNOW TOO MUCH ABOUT SPEAKERS BUT I ENDED UP PAYING 700.00 CASH. STILL NOT DISAPPOINTE THOUGH, I TRIED THEM TODAY. THEY SHAKE MY WHOLE ROOM WHEN I CRANK THEM UP. LAST TIME I HEARD SOUNDS THIS GOOD WAS AT THE MOVIES. PROBABLY WOULD HAVE PAID MORE IF I FOUND THEM IN A REAL STORE.

Anonymous
I wonder why all these people think they got scammed when the speakers actually sound quite decent. I mean, if they didn't work at all or gave total static, then sure I'd say $300 for some speakers out of the back of a van probably is a rip-off.

But for all those people who paid $300 to $500 and haven't listened to the speakers yet, please do, and let us know how they sound before announcing you got scammed. If they do sound as good as high end speakers for that price you paid, then really what scam is there?

Anonymous
This is a different story.... Some guy in H.B Ca. is selling tr5120 system out of his house.... Probally got hit buy one of these vans? $300

Digital Dave
yeah , that tr salesman is right. if they sound as good or better than you expected, y b***h. I did'nt pay as much as the rest of you, but if i had, i would probably be jealous too. If they work, and you paid a decent price, good for you. o btw they there are a couple people in a white van in naples fla. if anyone is looking for them. If you see them. put 100 bucks in one pocket and tell them thats all you have. see if they'll bite. good luck

Well i have the same story as the rest of you, so here my take: If you found them on e-bay for 300 you might consider buying them of course they may have been damaged by the person who is now selling them. The way i see it is that the people who say that they are glad they read these messages before they bought them are missing out. If you don't buy from the liers on the street then where are you going to get this quality of speakers , or at the price they will take. If they are lying about some of the things then it makes me wonder what else they are lying about. They are quality speakers that were'nt just thrown together, I know that and anyone who has bought them knows that too, unless you didn't get what i did.(tr 5210). the center unit that they gave me is quality, not just the sound but it does'nt cause colors distortions in the color on my screen, which tells me that they took the time to incase the magnets in the speakers,which is also y they are so heavy as the liers pointed out. y they are using these tactics to sell them is a mystery. I guess if you sell things on the street you have to pull all stops even if they are a good product. If you want a warrenty, then by all means go to a local store and pay $1000 for it because as far as i'm concerned you won't find the same quality at a store for less than that. If your speakers don't sound as good as you expected i'm sorry, i really am, and i would be pissed too and want my money back, but if they sound as good as you expected, and you paid 1,2,3,4,5,6 hundred more than some of the other people here. shut up. you still have gotten a deal because as i said before, where else you gonna get em'

same story as everyone else, guy in a green explorer in imperial beach, ca. anyway i hooked the center sleaker up and it sounded good, but i was worndering how the heck do you hook up the sub. the termals are weird. i got the tr-5210. so if someone could e-mail me or post something that they did to make it work. ie, what type of reciever would work good. thanx

Just got yelled at today 08/18/03 same old story about two guys happen get lucky today someone messed up and gave them extra set of towers and extra set of surround speakers.Talked me into bargaining with them box marked 1999.99 for the set of tr-5210 set for 700.00.Called this company up 1-714-894-5888 lady on the phone send they make all type of speakers for homes.Send to send in warranty card will honor it.Speakers sound great and made well.

Michael
Same story as everyone else. two guys in a white astro van in Destin Fla. Talked me into the tr7000
I only paid 300.00 for the system. I haven't hook them up yet so I can't give a opion on how they sound. But from the looks of them they do seem like there made of high quality. I can't say that I got scammed I just got talked into buying something that I wasn't in the market to buy at the time. If they do sound good when I hook them up, then hey I got a deal.

wayne k
this is wild, i bought a pair of tr-2800 speakers from, you guessed it, 2 guys in a white van. i got them about 2 months ago in SE Ohio. this is the first place ive seen anything about these speakers. everything you read before this is exactly how it happened to me. thing is, the speakers sound great. i gave $300 for them and im sure i got a good deal, they sound better than the Sony's ive been using. i'd buy them again for that price.

Anonymous
Canoga Park, California

This is the 2nd time i've seen these guys. The first time was at the Northridge Mall.

BTW, I hooked them up and they sound alright.

Same Story. White Van. License Plate starts with "3k486"

Eric
El Paso, TX

White Van, same story. Heavy set white guy, and tall white guy. got the tr-501 for $350.

ill have to hook these up, to find out how good they sound.

Anonymous
hello ppl, im a 16 year old kid who was approached by 2 guys in a grey windstar. They gave my their license plate #, the store where to call in westminister, warrenty #, mostly everything. I live in a small town near vancouver CANADA actually more near kamloops. I paid 300 for 2 TR-1110 towers. As im writing this those guys r probably still roaming around town, they told me they were in a hurry and had to reach a different city for a delivery. Could someone put a post up if i got ripped, im wondering if i should put them up in the buy and sell for about 1000.

Anonymous
I have also recently purchased the TR-900 off some street guys in white explorer. I paid about $130 for each. Awhile back though i bought a digital audio 5.1 speaker set for $160. The way you hook up the powered sub is you connect the channel that would normally go to your front right and left into the sub. From there you hook the front right and left up off the sub. The way the sub works is it filters out the highs and just plays the lows.

Also I was wondering what's the lowest price you guys were able to get off these Theater Research mobile sales guys.

Christina S.
They're in West Windsor, NJ now. White van outside of the Target. I got one of the guy's full name and address (from his license), cell phone #(from his cell phone) and License plate number. He seemed like such a nice guy, too. I'm interested to see how they sound. Then I'll decide what I'm going to do to the little bugger. Ben from Somerdale...I know you're out there!!!

Jon
Count me in! I was approached by the same dynamic duo earlier today in Easton, Pa. Same EVERYTHING (van, shopping center, beer money, etc). They asked for $600 - I contributed - Paid $235 for the pair (Tr-2810's). Feel the same way as many here. I wasn't scammed provided they work well, right?

the devil
i,m from lethbridge alberta, canada and was approached by the two fellas in the white van. i paid $100 bucks for the theater package (surround). the sub is not powered but when hooked into the right and left main you get some pretty decent bass. they actually sound pretty good. i couldn't get this kind of a deal in a PAWN SHOP i've tried. if you could get a deal like that i say go for it! otherwise put that money towards a name brand and pay lay away for half a year. you essentially get the same experience but at a fukin bargin. and if you got em sit down, tilt your head back and laugh your head off at the suckers who paid more than you,all the while enjoying great quality sound.

larry curk
i payed $200 for the 500.learned a lesson!

KEn
In Boca Raton scammed by 2 guys in white GMC Envoy for TR-8200 paid $200 ........$50 and it's yours.....

thought i was scammed
Just hooked my system up today tr-5210 surround system.They kick butt for music and movies.I would hook up your systems before you try to get rid of them you might like them.

jp
hmmm... if you paid less then the cheapest system available out there in your area, and you connect it and realize it works, and in many cases sounds better than the crap we already own, how can you feel ripped off? i bought the 5140 system for what i told them i had, 170 buxs. it sounds to me like i got the best deal, especially since they work great. don't fret my fellow men, enjoy not the idea that you really didn't get the deal you thought you got, but the fact that you got a decent product at a pretty decent price. of course it seems to me that the only peops mad are those that planned on reselling them. i can almost bet that if you had this in mind when you bought them, you are probably upset that you won't make that extra 1000 off them. you can probably make a good buck on them anyways since not everyone has seen this website, of course then you would be no better than the guys in the "white van" who sold it to you. hmmm what to do, get my money back, sit and pout, or enjoy the new system that does exactly what it is supposed to do, transmit sound (not make you an extra 1000 buxs). if it works, and you didn't get robbed by your local electronic store, who cares if the product is unknown. i'm sure at one point, bose or sony were unknown. my guess is that this is not a scam but definitely a ploy to get their product out there. not the best way ... or is it? after all we all have one thing in common, we own something by TR theater research. Laugh it up and enjoy your system or speakers, i am. late

Nick Rivers
Update on my TR2500. After I first bought mine and hooked them up, one sounded very thin and only the woofers worked. So, I opened the back panel where the posts are and found a broken wire. Once I resoldered it they emitted sound. It is not possible to argue about the "sound quality" of these speakers since everyone "hears" differently, so the statement that they are better or worse than some other "name" speaker is a little like arguing your favorite color. I think the main point is that your purchase was made based on a many statements from the "two guys in the van" and many of these statements are false. That is called fraud. It doesn't matter the motives for the purchase from the purchaser. It matters that everything said to get the purchase was false. Of course buying speakers from "two guys in a van" is risky at best. But, I'll bet that everyone of us thought the same thing, "Is this the day I actually catch a break and get a deal on something". Everyone wants to feel like they just got a great purchase and when they get home and go on line and find out the background of these speakers they feel "scammed".
OK they work, is the sound ok, yes, will they last, who knows, is the warranty good, who knows, how long will this company be around, who knows. So, for now, sit back, crack open a beverage and crank them up (not too loud, you might blow a speaker).

Anonymous
I bought my pair of tr-2800 for 280... After I read these posting I thought I got ripped off because people got them for a better price then what I did. I took them home hooked them up to my yamaha reciever and they rock. I have had them about three weeks. At first I was going to sell them to a friend for the same price 280 for the pair but after i hooked them up I was amazed on the sound. I had 2 15 klh floor speakers which I sold for 150... So i ended up only paying 130 for both of my tr-2800 but I probably wouldn't do it agian just for the fact that I might not be as lucky next time

Anonymous
Same deal in Pittsburgh, PA yesterday. Invoice, left over on the "job", same ones used in Hooters and other restaurants, beer money, American Sound van, Home Depot parking lot in Bridgeville, and they wanted $600 for TR-2000. I offered $100 a piece and they said $300 since there were three guys to split. Left final offer as $200 and they accepted, finally walked away since I had never heard of the brand. Speakers looked good and had Kevlar cones, they stressed "bi-wirable". I'm guessing thats how they came up with the 4 or 8 Ohm impedience. But how would that affect the crossovers? Since at 4 capacitance would double and inductance would be half and opposite for 8 Ohm. Any one take them apart to see what slope is used on the crossovers? 6dB, 12dB, or 18dB. If you are getting a quality speaker they should be a 12 at the minimum. Also did a whois on trtheaterresearch.com comes out with doggdigital.com in California and ibizcarts.com is islandbreeze.com also in California.

jp
check out this website it is direct to their e-store. the prices they have on their is as was told to us. it seems like it is an advertisment ploy. this is blowing up everywhere now. looks like we may have gotten a good deal. http://www.ibizcarts.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=thr&Category_Code=ht-set by the way i got to this page by looking at their webpage www.trtheaterresearch.com

My dad bought them and i think this site is infested by their bullcrap also half the people in here are just the same mofos working for the scam. the speakers i got sucked butt. barely any sound came out and it was muffled so i took some and hooked it up to the amps in my car. my system rocks so when i put the speakers in the same crap happened very poor quality. i was recently in LA and my friend was approach by a man who wanted to sell some TR junk when i heard that i almost kicked the dung out of him but downtown LA is to crowded for that. DONT be fooled and you TR Fukers scamming this site also go suck a dick

oh yeah call this jerk on the phone (615) 429-6636 all he does is cuss you out and make fun of you for buying his speakers.

jp
FOR THOSE A LITTLE MORE CIVILIZED, IF YOUR STUFF WORKS, YOU GOT A GOOD BUY, IF THEY DON'T WELL... I GUESS BUYING SPEAKERS FROM A "VAN SALESMAN" WAS PROBABLY NOT THE SMARTEST THING TO DO. MY STUFF WORKS SO I'M COOL. PISSEDOFF, WHO YOU REALLY MAD AT, THESE GUYS FOR TAKING YOUR MONEY OR YOURSELF KNOWING THEY DIDN'T FORCE YOU TO BUY IT? HMMM I GUESS IF MY PURCHASE DIDN'T WORK, I'D BE PISSED OFF ALSO....AT MYSELF FOR BEING A DUMBAZZ FOR BUYING IT IN THE FIRST PLACE. AND NO, I DON'T SELL TR SYSTEMS, I BOUGHT ONE ALSO, THE ONLY DIFFERENCE IS MINE WORKS.

Anonymous
does any one know how to set them up. do i need a receiver? i got the TR5210. The sound good but i have not heard the subwoofer. anyone had this and set it up in their system email me!!

Montano_Francisco@hotmail.com
subject line TR system please so that i know it wont be junkmail

Anonymous
Kokomo, Indiana
I'm so dumb.. and lucky.. I was in retail audio sales for 7 years.. got out about 3 years ago.. I knew, just by looking at the box that they were likely just knockoffs (similar name to Acoustic Research)
I bought my first 'flea market' car speakers/amp/cassette back in the 80's (paid $100) and can tell a when they are not of standard retail type. When they said they were doing an 'installation' and had these extras, I wondered 'where is all ther installation equipment?'
But when they took out tower speaker and said they were kevlar (and they look like it, but it is just carbon glass fiber) I was impressed. the dude was definitely a salesman... I knew there was a catch...
I played it very cool.. I basically said that all I can afford to drop on anything at this time is about $200 (he had asked for $600, showed me the magazine he took from his bosses bathroom...yeah..) hoping they'd leave and I could get on with tying down my lumber (just out in front of a home center)
but the guy (there were three, in the American Sound van) kept pushing.. 'come on, how about making it 240 so we three can each have $80 to go to the Hip Hugger (nudie bar)
stuck to my guns and the dude finally read my body language after I backed away and said 'f#$k it!' - we'll get more from someone else on the rest..
I said I don't even have any money on me..
They followed me to the atm and I got out the $ and he gave me a receipt from a place in Cincy.. same as previous posts.. told me not to tell them, so he wouldn't get in trouble..
Got them home.. they sound Great.. figured maybe it wasn't a big 'scam' and thought I could sell them on e-bay for a quick profit because I really didn't need to be spening any money on toys.... Oh well... I'll just keep them and maybe offload them in a couple years for $300 :-)

p.s. they sound good and look great, but I can tell they are made cheaper (cabinet wall are thinner that the high end stuff, but you can't even buy the parts and slap them together in your own box for that $ (I have also tinkered around with speaker building)
I've even thought about building my own subs with those amps from the electronic suppliers and selling them on e-bay for $100 profit each... but I think the on-line market is getting too saturated.. ok, I'm done.

well i know you guys have heard it all by now but same thing here 2 guys in a white truck. said too many were ordered....i picked up the TR-5140 surround sound system with sub woofer for $120.00 . havent hooked them up yet.....but what the hell for $120....they cant be too bad....i'll let you know

Anonymous
Picked up two Tr-900 series speakers for $150 bucks total. They sound pretty good. Not as "crisp" as $1000 speakers, but hell, for $150 bucks I'm happy. The only thing I'd worry about is how long they'll last. If they last a long time and maintain the sound they have now. Then $150 bucks wasn't bad for these things.

Oh, by the way, 2 guys in a black SUV. San Diego area. Said they had delivered speakers for a company and had extras on the invoice, since it was prepaid their boss was just going to keep them. They'd rather sell them for a little cash than just give them to their boss of whom they were about to go pick up. Yeah, whatever. Both in their mid 20s, both of medium build, one had a darker complexion (maybe half wight-half spanish) with dark hair, other was white with blond hair

PizzaWorker
Extended Warranty how can i lose!!!
Well... it seems my fellow retarted citizens that we have all been had. It is true, theirs a moron born every minute. Same story red SUV young guy.I paid 200 and that is 200 too much. It seems to me that i am the most retarded of all of you, I dont even have a tv. Well i live in Hacienda Heights CA. The only way to get our money back is a good old fashion riot at 3419 Via UD Suite 249
Newport Beach California 9266. I say we schedule a date to come down their in masses and get our money back. If they wont give us our money back then we can lude the store or burn it down. Either way violence solves all problems. I berely make 300 month and their i go buying merchendise of the street.

DEAR RETARD: WHAT HAS THIS GOT TO DO WITH US. MY SYSTEM WORKS GREAT AND I GOT IT PRETTY CHEAP. WE HAVE T.V.S AND TEETH. GET A BETTER JOB.

Mike Nameth
I was approached by a mini-van with two guys wearing "Sound Stream" shirts that asked me to buy a home theater system. Seeing as I was about to do that very thing, I thought it was my lucky day. I saw papers on the product and he had about ten boxes of these speakers in his van. He said
he got an over shipment and had a few to sell or his boss would have done it and got the money for them. The set I purchased were "Theater Research TR-6 Pro-Series III" Now I'm no expert but when you connect all the wires and the first bass beat hits, it's well worth a couple hundred bucks to get these speakers. Even if they don't come with a warranty. Just make sure you see them first and buy an un-opened box, because I was given that option. Trust me Theater Research is up and coming, and they are coming in at a much higher price range. So look for the wheels with the deals, and smile when you find them. Just remember
these people are there to make a quick buck and move on. So don't empty your wallets. They'll take anything reasonable.

Frank Tome
I picked up a pair yesterday I payed 200, I like them alot. You give them money they give you a product, no scam here! I would challenge anyone that thinks it is to take 200$ and go buy TWO speakers at Best Buy or Circuit City that sound just as good as the TR 1110. YOU CAN'T DO IT!!!!!Plus in those high priced stores you have to pay sales tax, You people should feel scamed going to a retail store and paying that huge mark-up price. So with tax you only have you only have about $180 to spend on the speakers GOOD LUCK LOL. Enjoy the speakers you got a good deal!!! Enless you really want to go to Circuit City and spend several hundred more and not get much more in terms of sound reproduction, not me I'll keep the TR's and the extra $400 to $600 where it belongs, in my pocket! OUT ! RACK ME!!!!

Jim do
ohh if u guys read the box it saids manufacturers suggested prices are for identification purposes only... i had to buy a set off a friend who has no money and no job, he thought he would going to make some money buy reselling them..but guess what no takers.. .. i know i may end up loosing but he is a friend and not very smart... now i dont know what the hell im going to do with it.. i got the tr 5210 .. ohh well hope the turn out ok.. anyway he paid $200.. for it and no reciever too i will have to go get one to to see if this thing works..

Frank Tome
I really don't see why all you people have to make the comment"see if it works" or " hope it turns out ok " I have not read one post where someone said that theirs did not work! They work . And also it seems all the people that don't even have a amp or even a t.v are the ones crying so-called "scam" the loudest .It seems to me you people were intent on re-selling them in a "scam" of your own design. OUT !Rack Me!

Anonymous
Lexington, KY. 2 men in white van made their approach at a gas station. Their line was a customer didn't have complete payment so they were trying to unload speakers. Asked $800 for the TR-501. Showed me enough to make them seem legit. Ended up paying $300. Haven't hooked them up so don't know how they will perform. If they work well, I'm satisfied. If not, sooner or later they will be "caught up with". If you paid anything over $500, consider yourself scammed. If you paid $400 or less and they sound good to "you" consider it a good deal. I'll do a side by side comparion with my Bose speakers and will let all know how the TR-501 stacks up.

Anonymous
I was sitting at work minding my own business when a good friend called me and said he had just fallen upon a great deal. Boy was I excited when he told me that he had just been approached by two young men with the TR-5210 SPECIAL EDITION. I should've known when I heard special edition this was a little shaky. At $140 a set I guess that wasn't to bad compared to what some of you paid.

hOW DO U HOOK UP THE TR-7000?
Do u need an amp? could it be hooked up directly to a dvd player? Does anyone out there have a manual..
Peace
Al

I.C. weiner
HI, i left a message her b4 and i just came back 2 say that when i bought these things i was really mad and i didnt really know wat to do about it, so i put these speakers in the buy and sell for around a grand knowing full well there not worth it. I havent got any calls yet but now that i sit here and think about it theres nothing really wrong with them for the price i payed (200). And now for all you morons who dont know how to hook them up here is a simple guide. Positive side goes to positive in the amp, Negative side goes to negative on the amp. If you have a theatre in the box like i did b4 i had these then just unhook the 2 left and right speakers and hook these puppies in, doesnt matter how powerful your amp is it will work. but yes, you do need an amp. peace

Mike Nameth
HEY AL,
Your speakers hook up to your amplifier,
your amplifier hooks up to your DVD player.
None of these speakers come with the proper components to hook them up. Not even the speaker sets as I got. But for these prices go and get an amplifier and hook these up NOW !!!
Future Shop has several amplifiers for around $250-$400 with around 400-650 watts. Which will power these speakers perfectly. Don't over power them, or they'll wear out faster. Which any respectable speakers will. For each speaker you need an output. Ex: 5 speakers, five outputs from your amplifier. If you were lucky enough to get a pictured explanation as I did it's easy to figure it out. With standing speakers you just hook up positive/negative to the amp's left/right speaker ports. With a speaker set ( usually center speaker, satelite speakers, and a subwoofer )
it gets a little confusing. Post a request if you need anything else. If not Good times, and loud music.

Well, I fell for it too. They drove up in a new gold Yukon. They told me the same exact story, even showed me the ad in the magazine. Check cleared, I just don't want to settle for learning a lesson! Is there anything we can do?

Jon Kemp
Houston, Tx

Kelly McMahan
My friend just got a pair of the TR-2800 speakers from some guy in a van in Asheville NC. He paid $200 for the set and wanted to sell them to me for $400 because they were worth $2000 and he knew I was in the market. I like the sound of them alright but if I was going to run a full set I have no idea where to get a center channel or more floor standing speakers that match. I also think that there is to much mid base comming from the bass speaker on the bottom. I'm going to take one appart tomorrow and see what I find. There may not even be a passive crossover in the thing. I'll post my findings.

By the way if you want a nice set of speakers for a fair price check out the Infinity Alpha series.

Anonymous
Today August 28, 2003. A guy and a white van full of speakers is heading to Branson, MO. His name is Bill Willeford, Cell: 281-734-0538. Same story, same scam technic...Watch out people !

j.s. allison
... so, i ask the guy why he's selling stuff out the back of a van. he says he has extras from an install job and he wants to make some extra money but he has to sell it before he gets to the job (or before he goes back) because if anyone sees the stuff he'd have to return it...
sound familiar? well my curiousity was peaked so i strung him along to get more information then told him NO.
so i come across this website full of sob stories about how people discovered that the stolen high end merchandise they thought they were getting for cheap wasn't really stolen and wasn't really high end. as it turns out it was some less than scrupulous marketing ploy for average equipment at an exorbitant mark-up. pretty much the mean in retail today.
so now i wonder if the persons who want to "start riots", "kill them", or cry out "scam", really think they were scammed or just dont know how to deal with the discovery that they
aren't gangsta's but just suckers. Youv'e scammed yourselves.

Anonymous
Hey all....

I read all the postings from top to bottom....
What I dont understand is how is this a "SCAM"????
You get a product at 1/2 to 10% of the price the guy is asking for or is printed on the catalog or the box, you are taking a "Hasty" decission of buying the product, and then later on you cry "SCAM"......
You yourself are not doing the research you or anyone needs to do if you are going to buy a product, you ARE coming out of the transaction as a bargain WINNER.... so where is the so called SCAM????????

If you think calmly, who is SCAMMING who here???

One of the guys here says that even if he had to build the cabinets for the speakers himself, it would cost him more than what he bought them for...., another one says that the product did not work well, and that they have a very different interface, WELL..... DONT you think you should have checked that before you bought it... I know I do as well as a lot of people check for the interfaces that you can use when buying electronic products......

I havent bought the speakers, and am looking forward to the White Van, and their sales pitch.... and believe me, if I am not convinced about the product, I will not buy it, even if it is very cheap... no one is going to put a gun to my head and ask me to buy it.... as I assume no one did to you either....

Anonymous
People, what is all the fuss about. Everybody who bought speakers out of the back of a van got what they paid for, A PAIR OF WORKING SPEAKERS!!! How grown people can fall for this type of set up is truly amazing. A guy pulls out a magazine and shows an AD for speakers NOT an article or a review?!? Also, has anyone EVER seen the price for a pair of "HIGH END" speakers marked on the actual speaker cartons??? You wanted speakers, you got em...Peace

Anonymous
Same in Columbus, OH and got me for $300 for the TR2800's. I had bought decent furniture like this before and got hooked on the nice looking boxes. (others say cheap from China) Give me the honest scoop on componets? Sound okay but when I try to crank them up my amp kicks off (Kenwood 100W home theater system) Can someone explain to a dummy? Should I scrap and buy something decent since I can't get other speakers to match up? Thanks and I would really appreciate the help.

Anonymous
"Same in Columbus, OH and got me for $300 for the TR2800's. I had bought decent furniture like this before and got hooked on the nice looking boxes. (others say cheap from China) Give me the honest scoop on componets? Sound okay but when I try to crank them up my amp kicks off (Kenwood 100W home theater system) Can someone explain to a dummy? Should I scrap and buy something decent since I can't get other speakers to match up? Thanks and I would really appreciate the help."

Hey Columbus, OH.
The TR2800's are not meant to be attached to a 100W Home Theater system. The power of the system is too less, to support the speakers, if I am not wrong, the speakers are manufactured to a consistant 400W power output per channel, that means that the total power of the speakers is atleast 800W. They are pulling too much power that is why your amp is kicking off.....
You need some thing more powerful to attach to the speakers...

If you can get a hold of the guy from who you bought them, exchange them for something compatible to a Home Theater system.

Anyone out there if I am wrong, please correct me and help this person too...

sam green
I also was approached today in carson ,ca by two youbgsters i paid 200 for the 5.1 speakers they look alright and sound is average. Like they say theres a sucker born every minute. I would have felt much worse if I paid a cent more. lol wont happen again.

spector
I just picked up a pair of TR-1400 by two guys in a green minivan. Paid $170 for the pair. They work great. Considering that I was looking to spend $500-$700 for a pair of decent floor speakers, I think I got a great deal!!

I found it interesting to read all the posts here and that almost NO ONE followed up with their original post. Why?? I'm guessing because the speakers worked great!! If they were total crap, you know this thread would be filled with angry posts--instead, there's just a bunch of you going "I got scammed!" before you even tried the product.

If they are even half way decent, for $170 I got a great deal and am happy. Sure I'm a bit disappointed that I couldn't resell these and make a tidy profit, but since I really wanted speakers, the price was more that favorable, what is there to complain about?

Thanks to the dudes that sold me these speakers! They rock!!

Check this out...walking out of a car parts store (autozone) two guys come up to me in a green van and asked me if I want to buy some speakers...same story as everyone elses...but the difference is that they wanted $400...So I said "later". As I was leaving, the guy yelled at me to ask me what I would pay and I said $200 and that was all. Sweear to god...I paid $200.00 (two crisp $100 dollar bills) for a set of TR-8010. Which is the complete home entertainment system with all of the speakers.I made them (the two guys) put them in the back of my truck,( beacuse I would not touch them until I got home and parked in my garage!! I made them sign a receipt for the cost and desription, I made them give me their driver license number and their cell phone number, which I called them from right there in FRONT of them (and it actually rang!) and I got their tag number off of there van. I can afford $200.00 like alot of other people. My decision now is whether to replace my Bose system that I have in my living room. Everything I have read has been on other TR systems...anyone know of the TR-8010 system? Anyone want to make me an offer?

Later from Knoxville, TN.

not to bore anyone with the same old story, but anybody want a pair of very eloquent silver/wood tr1110's for a paltry price of $187.00 which was all i supposedly had on me to handover to these 2 very nice lads. anyone have a clue about their longevity, they do seem to hit pretty hard, do take a lot of power tho, i won't throw out the bose towers over em, but if there are no takers on the $187.00 to the garage they go, i will deliver anywhere in the hi-desert/california. it has occurred to me that we shouldn't get too upset as we did this to ourselves. peace to all. mark

Anonymous
Anyone, any idea where these guys could be getting the speakers? Unbelievable the amount of models that are out there. Are there any decent componets in these things?
Thanks!

Anonymous
A common question I've not seen answered....how do you hook up the speakers to your system? Not familiar with a four "jack" speaker. Anyone wanna offer some help?

Mike Nameth
The top two input jacks go out to your amplifier.
The bottom two output jacks power more speakers. Thus you get two speakers from one.
At least that's how mine work. But my subwoofer has eight jacks. One set of four for each speaker. One positve and one negative input hooked up to my amplifier. One positive and one negative output to power another speaker. So with eight jacks I can power my sub, and in turn my sub powers two more speakers. If so with yours, thats how they work.

Anonymous
i bought some speakers off these guys and i went back to my house thinking i was pretty swift. i went back uptown that day AFTER reading this posted site looking to give these guys what they deserved, i came to a stop and looked to my right to see the same white windstar parked on a curb and 2 guys getttin the s#$t kicking of a life time. i pulled a U turn and drove back to my house thinking to myself for 200 that was worth seeing.

The four jacks are there because each driver has its own Binding post in order to seperatly amp them. (two drivers = two sets of "inputs" You dont daisy chain speakers in home theater set up. Your subwoofer has this feature because some home amps dont have an LFE output (nor do some subwoofers) this allows you run your mains through your subwoofer with out bi-wiring two sets of speaker wire out of your amp.
daisy chaining multiple speakers in the way you have suggested will only kill your amp sooner than you'll find a couple of meatballs selling you a 4000 dollar amp out the back of the van.

Make sure you know what you are talking about before you destroy someone else's home theater with crappy advice.

Mike Nameth
O.K. my speaker set came with a diagram drawing out how to set them up.
I think maybe you should do your research before bombing on me. I'm trying to help, if your doing the same. Either state what my Theater Research Speaker Setup Diagram is saying wrong. Or don't bother using words like "Daisy".

Scottster
Welcome to Cleveland boys! TR-7000. Same story, 2 guys in a white van with American Sound Systems, Inc. on the door. One guys name is Larry. Had Magazine to confirm story, gave me a receipt with the company name on it for warranty purposes( for what its worth). Claimed over stock. Met in the parking lot of Cicuit City. This guy is smooth! Wanted $750 for the set, I paid $300, sounds like a hundred to much. Has anyone installed this system yet, how does it sound?? Any feed back is appreciated! 9/02/03

Anonymous
haahah they got me too just yesterday as i was walkin towards my house the this white pick up came towards me and 1 white guys sayin u want some speakers so i willl yyeah sure,,, bought 2 pairs of tr-2800 for $200 bux i think its a good deal but now i want to hook it up do i need a different receiver for tat or i can use my old one which is sony

Leon Chen
White also apeared in Calgary!~~~~~~~~~
I am afaird those men are cheate....
So anyone can give me a report of "tr-5140"...

Poor guy..

Justin K.
$1,999.00? not a chance, but they are nice looking and solid as hell, they sound good too. im not going to bore you all either, we all know the story. they said 600 i said no way, all i've got is 200, they said okay. but, I also got a recipt, i demanded to see the driver's driver license and i called the number on the side of the truck which matched that of the recipt. the addresses matched and i took the license plate number down as well. i intend on sending the warrenty cards, one for each with a copy of the recipt. i hooked them up to a regular speaker channel and they worked just fine, exactly how john, that was the sales associate. as long as they last a while i will be very pleased, but then again that's what warranties are for, by the way i got the 2810-model. dont pay more than 250 and you made out in the deal, bose? sony? pioneer? no way, but if you paid over 1000-3000 for this pair, (that's what bose or sony will run you), then you deserve to get ripped off.

Hello you folks in "I've been shafted" land. I am in your back yard too! Two guys in a suburban in Wharton Tx. came by saying they were going back to the office in Houston and the 2 speakers left were un accounted for on the purchase order. They also said they had just finished installing a system for a couple who ordered 2 not 4 TR-2800's and said their boss would fire the next guy who overshipped any order. So being considerate of their co-worker, they asked for 300, but ended up with 200.00. I also got their lic. plate # and I will give it to my neighbor officer to see if it was a rental veh. or a guy from Houston. I have not tried them yet, still need a receiver. Any suggestions on one? Is a heavier reciever better than a light one? Thanks

FastFord Lenny
Needing info on how to hook up these High Dollar TR-2800'a (HAHAHA! they have 2 ports, -&+. What is the best receiver to get to run my dvd/vcr combo and satellite? Thanks for your input. Lenny

Anonymous
wats da best receiver for tr2800 i have a sony STR-DE345 5.1 multi channel In, i hooked it up but i hear da bass comin out from da tr2800 i hear it from my old ones can anyone help me here

Sucka!!!
Another one...
He told me he was my nationality, and even spoke same language....
Got TR-5140 for $250 Canadian.....it happened in Windsor, Ontario.
It wasn't a White Van though...It was grey.
Same story...looked kind of suspicious cause he said he had to deliver 3 systems but they gave him 4. Them after he said that he had sold 1 to a guy before me for $1,500 cash....(Yes...2+2=4, I didn't figure it out at the time). If he had sold one that means he wouldn't have any more to sell...plus, noone carries $1,500 in cash, at least not in Windsor...lol.
Haven't tried it yet because it happened today and I don't have a reciever...I feel stupid though, just like everyone else because "A guy in a van" outsmarted me...
oh well...at least I didn't pay puch for it, and from what I have read the system is pretty good.

YESTERDAY, I TOO WAS APPROACHED BY GUYS IN A WHITE VAN SELLING SPEAKERS. WHAT WAS FUNNY, THIS WAS THE SECOND TIME FOR ME. THEIR SALES PITCH WAS CONSISTENT WITH EVERYONE ELSE. SEVERAL DAYS AFTER THE FIRST EXPERIENCE I BECAME DISAPPOINTED FOR NOT MAKING A RIDICULOUS OFFER, BUT THIS TIME I WAS READY. I TOLD THEM I'D HEARD THE PITCH BEFORE, LINE AFTER LINE, SO LET'S SAVE SOME TIME. I OFFERED $150.00 FOR THE PAIR OF 2800 SPEAKERS AND THEY ACCEPTED. THEY EVEN TRIED TO PINCH ME FOR $20 FOR BEER!!! WHEN I GOT HOME, I HOOKED THEM UP TO MY SURROUND SOUND SYSTEM (JBL 5.1). GUYS, KNOCKOFF OR NOT, THEY SOUND GRRREAT. I CAN'T WAIT TO PLAY BOTH SETS OF SPEAKERS, WATCHING A MOVIE WITH GREAT SOUND EFFECTS LIKE TOP GUN.........I AM TRULY SATISFIED.

They got me too, the same story. It was on the Best Buy Parking Lot.. In Burbank, CA.
I paid $300.00 for a pair of speakers model TR-2810. They sound pretty good and they also look beautiful too.
I don't regret.

I've got a pair of "Acoustic Response 707" speaks that a friend bought off a van... He paid a coupla hundred a few years ago, and toasted 'em (he plays LOUD). I took 'em apart (to reuse the boxes) and the crossovers look like a lot more than I'd expect - 3 way 12db...

well folks, i got dooped too. I suppose it is too good to be true. I bought the TR6000. I paid 400, they work...i bought the next day only after i herd em work.

They seem okay. It seems as though this is a national deal. I live in Huntington Beach, Right next to Newport Beach, and I KNOW where Via Lido is. I may well go down there and find out the deal...But i sure wish i had talked him down further. Oh yeah, i got the same deal as everyone else. (extra shipment, if i dont do it now my boss will get em and sell em...) i did it the next day anyways.

worthlesschild
forgot to mention...they sound great, i will have to go down to the company and get all the beef.

Anonymous
Hey, I'm in Calgary! Where about were the dudes making you the offer, Leon? I actually wouldn't mind checking out the speakers that they have. Okay okay don't laugh, but I figure as long as I only pay about $250 CDN, I can't go wrong... :-)

You really can't get anything decent for $250 except maybe a set of little computer surround speakers or a HTIB kind of setup. And we all have seen those systems... a bunch of tiny speakers and a large subwoofer. It sounds like the speakers they are selling are full tower speakers...

Anonymous
Someone should try to set up a table of lowest accepted prices so if people get approached and want some speakers, they know exactly what the going rate is...

eg.. TR-2800 = $200 US
etc.

Personally, if I could get a set of TR-1400 (wow they look quite nice on the website) for $200 CDN, I'd be a happy camper!

same thing with ya guys i bought TR2800 for 400 bucks it sound damn cool ,it cheap and sound good so i put extra 2 in my bathroom kakaka, 4 in living room ,2 in garage, now my house speakers are everywhere , it almost blow my house up i think this is good deal im happay i think people who go to Good Guy spend more than thousand bucks in Good Guy they get ripp off ,not us so be happy all kekekeke

ok the same thing happened to me, i bought Tr-1110 surround sound spekers, from a guy in a white van, he tells me that its an extra order that he got, (he wasnt suppose to have em) so he tells me that the spekers are awesome 1000 each etc etc, me my self i am 17 and i know about this crap i told him bs, i was like look i havent heard of the "Home Theater Research" before so i asked him for i'd , he asked me if i was a cop, and i said no haha i am 17, so he told me that he forgot his wallet at home, thats when i knew that he was trying to sale me some bs speakers for 600 dlls a piece, so i told him look, ill give u 200 dlls for em (both) so he says WHAT but this are 1000 each, then he showed me the magazine, pictured and s hit etc, he showed me the receipt of the person who was suppose to get the frist order and how much he payed, so i was like 200 or nothing, so he said ok w/e and then he told me that i owed him 20 bucks for the beers, (as a joke) so i wasnt sure if i made a good deal, i connected the spekers to my tv and they worked.... but not as good as he maked them sound, 1000 each its really stupid, no 1 would buy speakers for 1000 each, not even p.diddy, so next time u see one of this fools, asked them for id, check liscence plate, and hey if u wanna make some money, sale the speakers to some 1 else for the same price that u payed... now that i see how many people got jacked by all this selleres, i know now, tha ti got jacked to, if u think about it, its amazing how many codes are posted here, TR-1110, TR-2800, TR-2344 w/e i think that we should do somehting about it, demand the company if there is one, or tell the cops what is going on, show em this evidence that we have, and i am sure that we can do something about this, because its going all over the USA, this happened to me in seattle WA, and the seller told me that he got the products for california, so we need to call cops or tell pr.BUSH hehe.

hey, I just purchased a TR-5210 home theater system, and realized that I will still have to buy a receiver. I hooked them up at my friends house, and they sound pretty good. all my techno friends agreed that they sound good. I paid $400 for them, and don't have money for a receiver, so if anyone would like to buy it, I will sell them for cheap. honestly, they sound great. Please E-mail me at: bigdncali83@yahoo.com. Thanx. local pickups are great O.C. California.

I just got hit up in cleveland, oh for $400 for TR-2000. Did I just get ripped off big time? Any help please? Thanks.

there is a set selling on ebay right now. Item number: 3044182739 10-day listing Ends
Sep-09-2003 00:32:00 PDT (12:32AM) about 30 minites from now. they are listed for Buy It Now US $409.99

Paul C
This is my post that I originally posted on rip-offreport.com as an update to my first report a day after buying them. This is in regards to my purchase of 2 TR-2800 speakers for $590 from a white van in Grand Rapids MI. American Sound Systems seems unwilling to deal with me on any level. I've been very civil in trying to get this worked out, but they just hang up on me because of this report lol. I really just wanted to get some agreement worked out with them, I even offered to reverse this report if their customer service followed through. It's true the original reciept had 2 date errors, one made by the sales person (dating 7/15/03) and then one made by myself dating 8/15/03, not 8/13/03 when the purchuse was actually made.

I'd like to believe they may have actually been willing to accept return of the product since there was a clerical error made on their end as well. Unfortunately any excuse would do, and this report is simply the easiest for them to point at. The company even verified over the phone the date of purchase and sales price from the sales person who completed my transaction. They also told me over the phone that because of this report they will not uphold the 3 year warrenty on the product and I haven't been able to contact them since. The fact that they are unwilling to deal with me to clear their name only reinforces the fact that this is a true scam. I only hope that this report will save people from be subjected to the same situation I find myself in.

I don't think I was wrong to file this report so soon after purchase. I have done nothing wrong, and had I actually just called them and threatened to file instead of filing and then offering to reverse it, it would have been labeled as blackmail.

It boils down to a number of illegal buisness practices including:

IMPROPER SELLING PRACTICES (selling out of a van and lying about their job, claiming they are installers and have an overstock of speakers they need to sell)

MISLEADING ADVERTISING and MISREPRESENTATION, claiming extremely inflated retail prices on speakers that have USA on the box are actually made in China (the made in China info is a little tiny sticker hidden on one of the speaker boxes)

UNSATISFACTORY SERVICE in that they are uninterested in customer satisfaction and do not care about the company name.

UNHONORED GUARANTEES OR WARRENTY because they told me flat out over the phone that they would no longer uphold my 3 year warrenty if something did go wrong with the speakers, then hung up on me. They continue to hang up on me when I call.

I have also filed a complaint with the better buisness bureau so see if they can help me get into contact with the company and resolve the situation that I am very unhappy with. Thats all I have for now. If another update is warrented, I'll post it.

Paul in Grand Rapids MI

Looks like I joined a pretty exclusive club. Boy is my face red. Phoenix is now infected. I am the latest sucker to blow $200US on Theater Research 5140. I fell for the same scam. No white van, though, it was a black chevy pickup but most everything else was the same. Looked like a legitimate overstock. Bought 'em an hour ago, haven't even opened the box. I wasn't going to buy 'til I saw the ad in Robb Report for $1999. Then I offered $200 and you should have heard the commotion. $200 or no deal. Looks like rain and you're driving a truck. OK, OK, we'll take your cash.
Five minutes and one Google search later, I feel like the greedy dope that I am. Oh well, win sum lose sum, and I'm certain that I lost some and those crooks won some. Wish I had some recourse, any suggestions?

Anonymous
Haven't seen a posting from San Antonio TX yet... well they're here. Driving around a white Ford Explorer. Same story... I ended up paying $250 for the TR-1110's. I immediately came home and did a quick search on the internet to find out what they are really worth. My first hit made me really pissed - headline: SCAM. I took off to try and find these guys and attempt to get my money back (could have been interesting since one of the guys is pretty big... the other, a scrawny guy with a pony tail).

Couldn't find them, but did run into a cop in the HEB (grocery store) parking lot. I told him the story and asked if there was anything I (or the cop) could do. He said, "not really... you agreed on a price and you paid it... even if he were here right now I couldn't make him give you your money back. The only thing I could do is cite him for selling products without a permit".

I'm 40 and haven't been taken for a long time. However, from reading the rest of these postings, I'm feeling a little better. While this product is probably not what I thought I was getting, it still seems to be a decent product and worth close to what I paid. I'll probably stick with my JBL system and give these to my son for his dorm room.

Beware San Antonio!

This is so bizarre. I guess I am another member of this "exclusive club". I actually bought this "Theater Research 5140" a month ago, and I just kept it in the box. White Van -- same story as the most people. Parking lot of Wall-Mart here in Windsor, Ont. I really never needed surrounding sound system, but I took it for $200 'cause I thought it was a good deal. I am such a dummy, but hopefully I'll learn from my mistakes. At the end, I just want to say that this web-site idea is great. Thanks for sharing everyone.

Mike
PEOPLE LET'S FACE REALITY, THEY DIDN'T GET YOU,
YOU GOT THEM SO LET'S ALL SHARE IN A GOOD HARDY LAUGH hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Mike, Again
Theater Research rocks. They may or may not be losing or gaining money on the sale of these speakers. But who cares. You're not losing anything and you're gaining quality sound for little green so stop crying and start laughing.We raped them of their product, and THEY came to US. Imagine if women did that, the world would be a beautiful place indeed.

I bought the speakers for $150 a pair. I have tested out the speakers and it was great. It has nice quality and it looks awesome. I bought a set of KHL speaker from Best Buy and it sounded like crap when compared to TR speakers. So, after all, these speakers are not that bad as long as you dont pay over $600/pair.

Anonymous
ok, about 7 hours ago i joined the club for about $240 and got my tr5140 (monrovia, ca, white van, what's up fellas if you are reading this). haven't hooked em up, but you fine people tell me they will probably turn out to be worth it. the sony system i have now isn't that great for over $700. i think we should consider ourselves lucky. no stupid sales person trying to upsell us, no hours spent comparison shopping all over town. just a decent system for about $200+no tax. i can see people soon possibly trying to actually find these people to buy from based on what i've read. it will probably be trendy soon. consider yourself one of the only people hip enough to hook up a set. (ok, my LA side talking.) whatever. $200. rock on.

Anonymous
Hey I saw all the postings and just thought you might wan to know. there is a TR-8000 Home Theater system and a pair of TR-1110 towers on ebay # 3046421441 They are at 360.00 buy it now for 420. I saw some people said they liked them, are they good speakers? this is the ebay address: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3046421441&category=1499&rd=1

I joined the club today. Got a pair of TR-2800's for $400...Two guys in a white van, overstocked inventory, etc. He even asked for extra beer money!

Could one of you guys who set up the 2800's please email me on how you hooked them up, im in the process of installing them. I would appreciate tips/advice. Thanks.

Carpet Installer
Interesting... F@#$ing, Interesting?

TR - 2000 $600.00 (2 Four Foot Floor Loud Speakers) Still in Boxes... I hope they work. I purchased on Monday September 8th, only to find out on the internet an hour later... that it is some kind of huge scam everyone knows about, but me. Anyhow... I called the guy... Faxed the Guy a complaint... he's gotton back to me and said he was willing to send me a 200.00 return in the mail.

University of Pittsburgh.

(p.s. they look really nice... really nice and maybe... if I end up getting the speakers for 400.00, maybe the people we're dealing with aren't that bad after all?)

The question still remains... Am I satisfied? I'll need to get back to you.

Peace--

American Sound Systems... Look for sales person Michael Butcher-- Pittsburgh, Oakland.

bhor
hahha ... puente hills mall industry,ca .. white van, 2 dood (white, filipino) same bs... me and my friend didnt have money so we gave them $100, my friends used hat, a T-shirt i was gonna return, and some shake of chronz. Some funny stuff.. thinking about selling them too but i guess i can either use it or give it as a gift?? at least my story seems the least severe. peace

Carpet installer, what did you state in your compliant? Did you say other people purchased the speakers for less money or what?

I bought TR-2000's in Cleveland for $400. I have hooked up only one to test it. It sounds pretty good. Clearer than my KLH's. However, no where near the same level of bass as the KLH's. I guess I expected this since the KLH's have about a 15" woofer in them.

ON A BAD NOTE: The speakers have f'ed up my 36" TV. I had one speaker placed to the left of my TV about 4 feet aways and now my TV is f'ing green in the top and bottom corners. Must be some powerful magnets in these speakers. I am hoping when I get home from work today and turn the TV on this green color will be gone.

My problem with the whole "scam" is that I would have never bought these speakers if I saw them at Best Buy or whatever for $400. I think $200 for a pair would be a fair deal, but I still wouldn't have bought them for this at Best buy. Especially since these speakers really do not have a warranty. It will cost an arm and a leg to ship them and who knows if the warranty will even be honored, etc. Most speakers have a 10 yr too!
I hope I run into my "salesmen" again....and not to buy speakers.

Carpet Installer
Jim:

As most of you know the speakers come with a "sales reciept". I tried the phone number on the slip and got a guy by the name of Dave. I told him about what I found on the internet... and he got real defensive.

"That's not us... plug your speakers in, you'll be Jam'in, don't worry about it."

"okay Dude."

Being that I had class, I didn't have anyother arguement prepared. I was still in denile that the sales person's story was still legit. (psychology is a funny thing)

After further research of my friends, whom have been approach with the same story, internet sites like this, and my own intuition... I realized this was a raw deal.

I called the dude again to ask about his return policy... and he said you have three days, fax me your reciept, with your name and number on it. (he was really pissed off). Even with that he illuded to no promises.

--a side note, when i purchased from this guy, i was really nice, alter boy type attitude, style. Same thing with the phone calls... don't piss these guys off, just go in and get a refund.

I faxed the guy my stuff with a letter of professional format and content.

After ten phone calls from me, the guy got back to me saying "listen... i talked to Mike (sales guy) and he said he be willing to give you back 200 bones."

I said i would be happy with that.

He told me, "cool dude, spread the good word. I'm doing my expenses tomorrow, i'll send you a check to the address on your letter in the amount of 200.00."

So now... I'm stuck with speakers for 600.00 bones, unopen, waiting for a 200.00 check in the mail.

Could my a$$ be any more sore???

I like the note you put at the bottom of you message Jim.

I hope i run into my "salesman" again... and not to buy speakers.

I"m out... I'll let everyone know if in fact I recieve a check for 200.00 that is actually cashable.

--live and learn, style--

Carpet Installer

Jim
Thanks for the info. Carpet installer. I'll wait to see if you actually get $200 before I make any moves. Since you're in Pittsburgh, I'm guessing you have the same guys (located in Monroeville, PA) that sold to me.

What really sold me about these guys was that they said that since I was a Steeler fan living in Cleveland (I have a sticker on my truck) they would give me the speaker for 400 which was all the cash I could afford instead of the 800 which they were asking.

After I buy some new speaker wire this weekend, I'll post another message stating how the speakers sound.

I too was approached by a white van (2 guys). I bought the speakers, the TR-1110 and the 5.1 surround, for 300 bucks. After reading all the coments, I am not worried about wether or not they work. I am going to add the entire system to my Bose 701 towers, driven by an Onkyo reciever; and enjoy the fact that i paid $300 for a whole lot of S**T. To be exact, in order to complete the surround system I wanted, I was planning on spending another $1200 - $1500. My system is now complete. Hell, if i like the TR-1110 enough, I will be selling the Bose 701 on ebay for around 800 bucks. All in all, i would have profitted $500.

Anonymous
Well put me in the list of suckers. San Antonio TX
2 pm and a guy and a girl pull up in a new white expedetion and offer TR -500 to me for 500 a pair
paid 300 for the set. they sure look good
oh well hope they sound good.

da doggie
same crap happened to me...i got a tr 8000...the guy wanted 1100 for it and said that he just sold one down the street...i told him i didnt have any money...so he asked if i had anything to trade...i told him i had 2 7in tv screens in my car and i would trade...this fool was so exicted he took it....little did he know that the screens cost 60 brand new...and to top it off they were broken...hahahahhahaha...now i got some coo crap that bumps pretty good...

da doggie
stupid queeer.....AHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHH

midwesterner
Same story now in Wisconsin
Tan Van
Target/Home Depot Grafton, WI (30min north of Milwaukee)
paid $250 for the TR-1110
I felt pretty suckered after reading all these posts. Now I have them hooked up and they do sound good! Not great but good! I played them next to a pair of Infinity tower speakers and obviously the infinity's sounded better but the TR's didn't sound bad at all. For paying $250 and buying them out of a freakin' van I'd say I'm satisfied. I won't do it again but hey, it was an impulse buy.

Anonymous
Okay, so there are a bunch of us who purchased these speakers from that infamous white van. My question to you who claim that they sound okay is......What is the correct way to hook them up? I got the TR-2800 and they have 4 jacks. I tried the tops and the bottoms but it just doesn't sound right. I know they are probably just junk but if there is something I'm doing wrong could someone help me out? Thanks!

Anonymous
just use the bottom two jacks only

blu boy
KAKAKAKA i just bought 1 TR8000 350 dollars i brought it home, my wife yell at me she said im stupid because i did not get the dude # maybe they can steal more and she will get 1 for her brother .I feel you guys they sound good, special for movie even my wife she doesn t know anything about speakers but she said they good too hahaha. i think all the good brand been around like Bose ,boston ,Polk they will lower the price after this speaker revolution

Anonymous
TR2810s - The speakers have removable bridges (straps) between the top and bottom jacks. I left them in place on one to utilize all cones as my left speaker, the other I removed the bridges and connected the top jacks for my right speaker and connected the bottom jacks to utilize the subwoofer speaker. From my home theater in a box system (Kenwood) they made great upgrades and that allowed me to move my two-way fronts to the rears. But.............it makes me want a better center channel speaker now. NOTE: Be sure not to connect speaker wires to both the top and bottom with the bridges in place because you'll trip off or damage your amp. I still feel like a greedy ripped off sucker but the kids are enjoying movies more now. ANYONE ELSE PLEASE CORRECT MY INSTRUCTIONS IF I AM WRONG. Also, can someone with knowledge give us an idea of speaker quality, materials and magnets used in these nice looking boxes. All junk or middle of the road stuff? Thanks!

deelow
sucker in CT green van- i should have had my dog bite the guy! OH WELL, but they came with not cables and the ones i brough from RS do not work- please help me with info on where to get cords! thanks suckers...

Anonymous
Hey Blu Boy:

If you feel it to be such a misfortune that you missed out on buying a second one of these, you can get a TR-8000 and a pair of towers for nearly the cost you payed for just the TR-8000.

Check it out. Now you're wife owes you some action.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3046421441

Juda Man
I think people like john and all that suppot him are people who in some kind of way profit from those who lose out. If so they are jerks if not O-well. i payed $280 to a pair of tr-2800

quick queston. how many different model #s are there? and are they the same.

Anonymous
I got the hussel in a Costco parking lot at a Ft Myers FL this afternoon. I asked if the goods were "hot" but they assurred me it was not. I paid $300 for a TR-510. It looked like the real thing, but do I feel like the saying, "a fool and his money are soon parted". Hope they sound ok....

Anonymous
TR2810s - The speakers have removable bridges (straps) between the top and bottom jacks. I left them in place on one to utilize all cones as my left speaker, the other I removed the bridges and connected the top jacks for my right speaker and connected the bottom jacks to utilize the subwoofer speaker. From my home theater in a box system (Kenwood) they made great upgrades and that allowed me to move my two-way fronts to the rears. But.............it makes me want a better center channel speaker now. NOTE: Be sure not to connect speaker wires to both the top and bottom with the bridges in place because you'll trip off or damage your amp. I still feel like a greedy ripped off sucker but the kids are enjoying movies more now. ANYONE ELSE PLEASE CORRECT MY INSTRUCTIONS IF I AM WRONG. Also, can someone with knowledge give us an idea of speaker quality, materials and magnets used in these nice looking boxes. All junk or middle of the road stuff? Thanks

Same story as you guys, two guys in a white van, 1 surfer/stoner dude, and the other and short fat quiet spanish dude, both in their early 20's. Got the TR-5210 for $200. This was also in Boca, Raton Florida, on US1. They were in a white GMC Envoy, said wherehouse overstocked and needed to get rid of them. Their invoice was from Sound Fx.

I haven't hooked them up yet, but some of you say they are crap and some say they sound good. How can it be both?

Anyway, I got their License Plate #, and going to track them down. If you read this "ken" cause you were in boca raton also, then e-mail me, we'll get together and do some damage.

alonzo d
how the f u c k are they gettin all this products overstocked..... i mean its not normal to have 100000 speakers overstocked all over the world, ok i am alonzo and i posted my story... but guess what 2 days ago, another white van stopped me and told me the exact same thing that the first guy said to me, so i was like "some 1 already got me so fuc k off" and he started laughing and left, but guess what i got his liscence plate number called the cops and now the bitc h should being interrogated, now look people, i paid 200 dlls, so i am not bitc hing, but most of u guys paid 400, i think that to much, but oh well, and hey they might work now, but trust me, if this is a shitty brand then our speakers will get fuc ked in less than 5 months guaranteed.

Well im in San Antonio and I hooked up with a guy and a girl in a white ford expedition. They gave me the same bs story about the overstock and they also tried to hit me up for "beer money" after the sale. I paid 200 for a set of good looking and good sounding speakers that look good and sound good so im not mad at all. In fact ive told a few people about this 'thing' I got into and I have already been offered my cash back for the speakers. *I did get the licsense plate of the new ford explorer that I got these off of. If anyone from San Antonio or the same area has come in contact with the same people, let me know at the email of txlegaldealer@yahoo.com . I saw that at least one other person has on sep 11th. 2 days ago. get in touch with me and well see what we can figure out about these guys.

Snoodle
So what's the license plate # on the Expedition? I think the last thing we want to do is keep secrets in here.

Spector
da dougie: where did you get 7" screens for that price? I thought I was doing well getting 5 1/4" for $85!!

Anyone else get TR1400's?

Damien
What the F they got me too i paid a little bit higher but the deal is not really bad because the speakers sound good ,it does the job ,loud and sound clear .I argree no matter where they are made ,good speaker is good speaker

Dan Grifman
NOT A SCAM!!!!!

NOT A SCAM!!!!!

JUST GOOD
MARKETING!!!

Ok, have been approached a number of
times by these guys and bought once the last time... paid $70 for knowing what
the hell they were doing, and have talked with them a number of times about how
it works... the only thing illegal is the tax evasion by the second hand
seller... they get the systems at a decent price and are usually trying to sell
them at 15% of what the manufacturer puts on them (which is not the
manufacturer)i.e.

Ok the technology for speakers has been
out for ages... don't you think that it is possible to put a speaker together
and ship it over seas in bulk and get the same quality of speakers your Sony or
infinity,  companies that keep re-branding the same technology year after year
after year... of coarse don't be stupid...

The distortion level on these is clearly
not a Polk quality but they rival Klipsh loudspeakers when it comes to punch and
loudness (yes its a word)

They typically run from 60 RMS to 200RMS
at 4.8 ohms which is really good if you know anything about stereos...  Put a
good amp up to these and you'll be impressed...

Your pretty much an idiot for buying
summin off of a truck but at the same time everyone and their dog would love to
think they were getting an awesome deal and if you paid 10% you did.  The
repacking and stocking is done in the US and they can put whatever price they
want on it... so we all think it must be a scam because no one would clearly pay
$1500 dollars.  The company will more than likely take traditional routs to
marketing and selling when this crazy posting settles down.

Its an easy concept if you bought the
ones that have a un-powered sub with satellites... hook up your stereo to the
sub and your satellites to the sub...

My friends love them and swear by them....
So if your not worried about what your superficial girlfriend thinks about the
unknown name on your speakers... and if you plan on throwing huge parties and
having your stupid friends blow a few on accident... buy a couple sets it will be
well worth it and you wont feel as stupid as you do right now.

Dan
Sorry guys didnt mean to sound rude lol

I've been in stereos for a long time I have a jbl 10w7 with 1 1/2 inch fibre board in my car... thats all I really have to say... its not a bad deal... just dont pay to much and if your lucky they will give you their distributer and you can make a quick tax free buck also...

l8tr dont get arrested :)

dan
lol, correction JL 10w7 jbl is my guitar speaker :) anyway dont be scared

You know, I ran into these guys in a late 90's white Ford Explorer with Florida plates in Mira Mesa yesterday. I bought the tr900's for $200 for the pair. I was thinking if they didn't work, the box was built well and I can throw in some other speakers in it, but I hooked them up when I got home and they sound really good. I compared them to my IAS crowbars and they were just as good. I think I got a good deal on them. They tried to get me for $1,000 for the pair. I told them $120, and finally offered them $200. When they said no, I got in my car and was starting to leave when one of them got out and said okay. I'm actually kinda impressed with the sound I got for 200 bucks and I'd probably do it again.

I just bought a TR-5210 system from a couple of guys in a van the other day, they offered to sell me one of the systems for $400 I told them no way and offered $100 for the system. They said no way and left me there pumping gas. By the time I collected my change and walked to my car, one of them came back over and said $200 installed. I again said "no way, if you want to sell ME your speaker system $100 and it's done. Otherwise, do your peddling elsewhere." As I pulled OUT of the gas station they shouted to me 'OK! $100 bucks!' I pulled over, gave them a single Benny and had them put the box in my car. I figured it was worth the risk. To my surprise, when I hooked it up...it sounds great! I mean for a $100, it sounds incredible. I have a Polk Audio system in my living room that I paid about $2300 for. To be honest, this $100 system has the same dynamic response as my $2300 system. When it came down to it, I took a risk that paid off. First time I bought anything out of a van before. I would still caution anyone about buying this way. I have turned down a lot of crappy equipment from "back of the van dealers."

Jim
Well, I hooked up my speakers, bought some new speaker wire, and compared them to my KLH's. There is no way the are worth anymore than my KLH's. I bought the TR-2000's and my KLH's blow them away. If fact, I compared them with an old set of Panasonic Thruster's I had which probably cost me 20 dollars in 1989 and that is what they're comparable to. The only difference between the thrusters and the TR-2000 my 100 watt amp distorts the thrusters. If you get these speakers for $100, you probably did okay....then again good luck if they have a defect in them. Anything over $200 is a ripp-off, go buy some cheap KLH's.

Jim
Well, I hooked up my speakers, bought some new speaker wire, and compared them to my KLH's. There is no way the are worth anymore than my KLH's. I bought the TR-2000's and my KLH's blow them away. If fact, I compared them with an old set of Panasonic Thruster's I had which probably cost me 20 dollars in 1989 and that is what they're comparable to. The only difference between the thrusters and the TR-2000 my 100 watt amp distorts the thrusters. If you get these speakers for $100, you probably did okay....then again good luck if they have a defect in them. Anything over $200 is a ripp-off, go buy some cheap KLH's.

got scammed
These speakers suuuuuuck!!!!!!!!!! I think people who are saying these speakers are awesome are either a white van speaker seller or have never owned a decent set a speakers that cost more than 50 buck b/c these pieces of sh*t aren't worth more than 50.

very weird
Worcester, MA - Just got the TR-5210 home theatre system for $160 about 2 1/2 hours ago. This is unreal. Can't believe it isn't on the news yet. I've set up the center speaker and right and left surrounds too. I have a Kenwood home theatre system. I paid something like $250 for it at Best Buy. So far, these TR's sound pretty good and at first listen, I think better than my Kenwood's (not that that's saying much). I haven't been able to figure out how to set up the sub wolfer yet though.

Anonymous
WE'VE BEEN FUKED HERE IN UTAH!
Two guys in a white van sold us the TR-501 and a pair of pro dynamics for $320.00 He said he worked for a company in Sandy and was trying to screw over his boss.
FUK HIM!

Jim Neighbors
This scam happened to a friend. The speakers were Pro Dynamics DA600R. He paid $200. The build quality on these speakers was horrible. They looked pretty good from about 12ft away. There was a single set of cheap connections on the back. They sounded horrible! It sounded like the subwoofers were running full range. So I'm suspicious if they even had crossovers in them. I noticed the people who say these speakers sound good make the comparison to Bose. Bose are horrible sounding speakers, too! Bose should be investigated by the BBB for using marketing to convince people their speakers sound good.

Darryl A
Just got TR-1110 Digital Series, Tower Speakers - They actually sound good if used as designed for home theater systems and not for your thumping stereo system.

I Thought it was a rip off two - White Van - over stocked, But I took a chance anyway.

Ps. and I don't work for the company !!!!

Anonymous
Has anyone who bought these speakers ever gotten their money back?

m c
"Same story" paid $300.00 for tr 2810 s bought in mass. truck , kids wanted $700.00 ,speakers look good ,sound good ! i hooked them up to my amp 16 gauge wire to the bottom 2 connectors + to + - to - amp to bottom conn. right or wrong

Anonymous
TR2810s - The speakers have removable bridges (straps) between the top and bottom jacks. I left them in place on one to utilize all cones as my left speaker, the other I removed the bridges and connected the top jacks for my right speaker and connected the bottom jacks to utilize the subwoofer speaker. From my home theater in a box system (Kenwood) they made great upgrades and that allowed me to move my two-way fronts to the rears. But.............it makes me want a better center channel speaker now. NOTE: Be sure not to connect speaker wires to both the top and bottom with the bridges in place because you'll trip off or damage your amp. I still feel like a greedy ripped off sucker but the kids are enjoying movies more now. ANYONE ELSE PLEASE CORRECT MY INSTRUCTIONS IF I AM WRONG. Also, can someone with knowledge give us an idea of speaker quality, materials and magnets used in these nice looking boxes. All junk or middle of the road stuff? Thanks

Anonymous
Fukk i guess im an idiot for buying Sh*t out of a mini-van, but i only payed $160. Could be worse. They have reached Massachusetts. Anyway, are these things complete garbage or should i bother buying stuff to connect them, or just go to best buy. I guess we deserve it for being greedy. I thought i was getting a "steal"

Anonymous
I bought some TR's. They look nice and really make the rest of my speakers sound better. I think they make a good addition to my set. However, I am disappointed these are not the 4,000 dollar speakers I thought I was getting a deal on.

lowes
anyone in massachusetts let me know. I actually got the contact info on the guys that sold me the speakers in brockton, mass (lowes home improvement). I actually like them and found two people to buy them for $400 a pair (I bought them for $200. I went to tweeter and similar speakers went for a $1000 each. I didnt like the sales tactics, but got over it. as along as the speakers work at that price I dont care.

Anonymous
Just happened to my friend in montreal, Canada. 2 Guys in a green explorer i believe, came up to him and they said the same story that everyone else got. My friend got the tr-8200 speakers, i have to say they look really good but we have not tried them yet. So is the website a fake? Are the spearkers fake? or Hot?

Martin Lee
I got the WHITE VAN MAN treatment in Worcester Mass. the usual story. Made me laugh, reminded me of the door to door magazine sales pitch I did in England in the 70's. Any way, I bought the 2810's paid $350 a pair. I got his address and cell #. Hooked them up and am quite satisfied. Yesterday I got a call from white van man, he has 8 more and will sell to me for less than I paid. I will buy again, but not for anyway near the price that I paid. I don't know what all the b*tching is all about. If you buy anything from anyone out of the back of a van what do you expect?

set boyfriend out to pick up something from home depot and he came home with these tower speakers with such a deal tr-1400...well at least he did get them to bring the price down and had them load them in the car,these guys originally wanted $800.oo for them but we only paid $200.00,they are not hooked up to an elaborate system,only a little cheap panasonic 1969 stereo and work fine sorry the rest of you weren't so lucky...and suggestions on other deals?????

Ron
Ok I bought a set of these speakers myself I am very leary of scams of this sort since I have family that got scammed big time. I looked over the speakers adn since I know a little about adio equipment thought they were decent of course I knew right away they were no where near $2500 speakers as teh list price suggested. I could get great BOSE speakers for half that cost less than half that cost. But I felt they were worth the $250 I paid. I got a receipt from the guy and everything. Witht an address of the company he worked for which I have seen posted here by someone earlier. Didn't take no investigation on my part to find the address they gave it to me. I don't usually go by name brands as to whether or not something is good either mainly by experience. I bought a set of car speakers from a TV auction for $20 about 15 years ago. No name brand and they actually mistakenly sengt me two sets so I paid $10. They sounded great and with the high powered amp in my car I did no blow them out no matter how loud I turned it up. I had also gone to a music craft once to buy some Jensens for my car and the sales guy who always waited on me and always made suggestions towards better equipment even when it was cheaper told me he had some speakers that were better than jensens or pioneers called acoustic research. Since this guy had sold me and my family over 20 pieces of audio equipment all of which we were totally impressed with I bought his suggestion. Turned out these were not only better but wayyyy better sounding than the name brands I went to buy and was thrilled with the purchase of what at that time was an unknown company that were half the cost of the name brands. Now of course acustic research is one of the better known brands out there. I just wonder if thios new comapany is doing this to get their speakers out there cuase lets face it if you're in a store looking for speakers and you have this unknown theater research speaker next to say jensen or pioneer or any of the name brand speakers. how well do you think your unknown speakers are gonna fair sales wise when people don't know very much and will only go with the big names? I'm not saying these are fantastic speakers or anything but I believe they are worth what you pay and maybe a better value than a name brand that is comparable. Look at it this way maybe it is cheaper for teh manufacturer to sell them this way rather than through a retail store that would have to charge more? Who knows fact is I think they are learning their craft as the ygo cause now as in my case I got a receipt and teh name of the company that distributes them. So as long as the speakers work and are of the quality you pay then it really isn't a scam. Nothing thats illegal! If they were stolen or teh guy really did get an overstock and he sold them instead of bring them back then that is illegal but selling products from a car is certainly not illegal. How many fuller brush men were there selling door to door and one of a door to door sales te3chniques was well I have an over supply of inventory so I can give you a good deal. That is a sales tactic not a scam. A scam is buying a set of speakers and getting home opening the box and finding brings instead of audio equipment. A scam is alos saying these are $2500 speakers. They never say that they say the list on them is $2500 which we all know everything you buy has a list price that is higher than what the actual retail price is. Notice it does not say "retail" price of $2500 I'm not saying for anybody to go buy these speakers from these guys or anything you should only buy what you feel comfortable with. I know I paid $175 for a set of brand name home theater speakers at a well known retail store and while these speakers cost more than that they certainly look as thought they are built better and definately sound a whoel lot better. So I feel that while I didn't get some luck to fall in my lap deal I did get what I paid for maybe a little more.

Anonymous
hmmm I seen a post that said Bose speakers sound horrible. . . I have had bose speakers for years and nothing has ever compared to them. At least nothing under $1000. What sounds good to you? I'd be interested in any speaker that sounds better than Bose.

Anonymous
They're are too many posts supporting these white van speakers and they way they are selling these speakers. Kind of strange isn't it? Or as I was repeatedly told by my "speaker installer," "This is pretty crazy isn't it?" Hell, yes, it's pretty crazy you are lying to my face and fooling me into over paying for cheap a*s speakers. These speakers are cheap...bottom line. Read about the white van scam. It's everywhere on the net. This scam originated over seas and it's slowly growing in the U.S. If you want to buy cheap speakers with no warranty (You might as well buy new speakers if you're going to have to pay to ship the speakers to and from the manufacturer), then be my guest.

Anonymous
Ron, I was told and shown an ad stating that my speakers are worth 4000 a pair. Scam? My speakers also contain two "dummy" speakers in each of them which are just for looks. Scam? My speakers sound as good as my TV's speakers do. Can I say SCAM again? You are an idiot. This is an obvious SCAM! As the previous person said, it's been reported all over the U.S. Sounds to me like you are selling these speakers.

Anonymous
I bought a 700 watt, 7 speaker, THEATER RESEARCH Home Theater System from the White Van guys in Torrance, California. It came with a nice DVD player. I hooked up the speaker system up to my computer. I only had the monitor speakers until then. They actually sound real good, once I figured out how to wire them and adjust the computer equalizer. I tried the Windows Media Player equalizer, but it sounded too tinny. I put the DVD in another room for my TV, since it only had a Video Cassette player. I only paid $200 for the whole dang thing. Of course they wanted more...showed me the $2500 magazine price tag. I said that my ATM will only give me $200 because I just withdrew that day for other things. They said ok...yeay! They're the suckers.

adekunle
Miguel. you said that they sell thos speakers for only 50 bucks a piece? how do you know that? can you email me at kunley822yahoo.com and let me know the details? thanks

Ok so im approached by two men in a Blue Ford Explorer in Vancouver, BC they give me the whole extra stock inventory count speal and then ask how much id be willing to spend so i said i had 200 he sucked me into $260 canadian for the 5.1 tr.5210 i cant even figure out how to set these up and id like to get in contact with the company and get a refund, if anyone else can help me hook these up or tell me how i can find the persons responsible so i can take proper action please email me at chris_w@shaw.ca thanks in advance !

Anonymous
Vancouver Rules. They have Pot Smoking Bars like in Amsterdam. Good Pot Too!!!

bad man
bought a pair of tr-2800 last month. same scene-white van 2 guys asking 600. told them all i had was 200. i know speakers very well and 200 bucks will just about cover the cost of the towers to be built. the speakers r descent and sound great. if paid anymore you may have got ripped a little. it just so happens that after reading other posts on the board i happen to run into the punks in NJ. i walked up and to the van and asked the guy if he realized he was rippin people off who were paying to much for the speakers. he laughed and tried to to roll the window up but i got a nice shot in and knoked the little bstard out of his seat and into his partner. i then told the guy that the next guy may not be so forgiving. hopefully he will reconsider his next buyer more carefully

Same story. Two guy in a white van said they were on a delivery and had an over shipment. I told them the scam was as old as the hills. I made them an offer of $100 for the pair. They sold me a pair for $150.00 and my friend who was meeting me got a set for the same price. For that price they look and sound good. Always be on the look out for the falling off the truck scam. I figured at that price even if they were a crap brand it would be OK.

Rip Off Report
http://www.badbusinessbureau.com/reports/ripoff67087.htm

Scam Shield
http://www.scamshield.com/Feature.asp?id=1

Carpet Installer
Jim and to any other person interested.

I recieved and cashed the 200 dollar check described above earlier (Sept 11th).

Question for Laurence Sherzer... what was the model of the speaker you bought?

Gee Gee
I bought TR-2000 Twin Digital Floor Loud Speakers for 400 bucks... what are they really worth... and what do I need to do for hook up... I have no stereo, and no receiver... How much is that going to cost???

Pittsburgh PA--

Anonymous
You need a receiver, most are equipped with a stereo. You'll need to buy a cd player to hook up to the receiver if you want to listen to CD's. Leave the brackets on the speaker jacks and put your speaker wire in the bottom two jacks + wire from receiver to + jack, - wire from receiver to - jack. My neighbor bought a Sony receiver for $199 the other week and it seems to be pretty decent. So, expect to pay at least that or a lot more if you want a better quality amp. If you really want to go cheap you probably can find something for 100.

Doh!!
Ok, well, i contacted some1 who sold me speakers yesterday. i called them after i got out of class today and he answered. he aparently was screwed by these people, so he quit, so he was willing to explain this all to me. TR is a real company, they used to be Digital Audio or soemthign like that. they changed names, bought a bunch of company vans, and began selling these speakers they produce. selling out of vans is their marketing technique he said. they company produces this mass amount of speakers, sells them for like 200 a pair or less to one of the mobile van guys, and they in turn sell the speakers. they get to keep all the profit they make beyond that. the speal they give is what they are taught to say because it is so effetive (just look at the 300 posts on this thread alone.. nuff said). he said that they are quality speakers, and they are work basically what they try to sell u to them for, definitely not the $2000 listed on the box though. he gave me the number of the distributer local to me, but im sure it is different whereever u are... so yah, thats what i had to say.

representin all orlando dumbasses..

Ron
There's got to be one in every crowd I guess. I just seen a post aimed at me calling me an idiot. Must be nice to sit behind a computer and run your mouth. You actually have the nerve to call me an idiot when it's apperant you bought these speakers as well. Hmm doesn't that make you an idiot? I at least knew the list price stated was bullshit before I bought them! Obviously you believed it. And I don't sell these speakers. And as far as me being an idiot cause I said it isn't really a scam. Well since these vans can be traced back to companies and the police haven't nabbed them means it can't be a scam. Now maybe you didn't get what you feel you deserved for your money but hell I bought stuff from best buy that I felt I paid too much for or found cheaper somewhere else I didn't say they scammed me. I just didn't get as good a deal as I thought. I repeat if it was illegal to do what they are they would not being doing it anymore. Saying it's not a scam does NOT make me an IDIOT! buying speakers from the back of a white van makes us ALL idiots and that includes you!! You ever want to call me an idiot to my face I'll be glad to oblige you but I'll bet you the money you paid for those speakers you bought you'd think twice about it if you were standing here in front of me!!

Sucker
Any of you who have come across these guys and didn't buy these speakers consider yourself lucky! Of course I haven't seen too many people posting here who didn't buy them but for what its worth. I agree with the last guy we are ALL idiots! Now I have read posts saying they sound good. I don't know if its what you bought compared to mine or the fact that I haven't hooked up all of them with good speaker wire yet but I hooked up one to compare it to my cheap set of KLH's and it sounded like crap. The KLH's which I paid $175 for blows this thing away. I should have put the money I spent on these things down on a set of Bose speakers! Oh well You take a chance you think you are falling into something good and you get screwed. Friends have told me they seen these guys a few times so I am betting I'll see them again and told the friends if they come up to you keep them busy and tell them you have a friend looking for some speakers and call me. I'll be right there and they can either give me back my money or lose whatever they got in their van. Even though they wouldn't be the same guys that I dealt with I don't care it's the same company! And god help them if they laugh at me like one guy who popped him in the mouth said they did to him. I got something more than a pop in the mouth waiting for them. Of course I already bought the wire cause I needed better wire anyway so I will at least try hooking up all of the speakers with the good wire and if they sound good after that, which I highly doubt I'll retract what I said and when I find these guys buy more speakers from them. But I highly doubt they will be making any more sales to this guy.

Sucker
Ok I said I'd be back after hooking them up so I did so right away. I bought the tr-7000 by the way. So here it is. I'll give them this much they took all 600 watts my stereo could kick out. (I had volume up to the max with Metallica) No static no distortion. One big flaw though. It took all 600 watts to get any decent volume out of them. Not like drivers for sure. Bass sounded pretty good with the high cut all the way up and at the max volume as well. Are they worth the $250 I spent? Hell no!! But if you don't need window ratteling volume I guess they will do. If I had it to do over I wouldn't buy them unless they were selling them for $100 So in conclusion when I see these guys again they will either give me back my money or I take another set of the 7000's as well as the 1400 towers whether they like it or not, Tell them to call a cop!! Actually I'll make a call to my godson and have him come over when I catch them. (cook county Sheriff's deputy.) Good to have a badge along. He could ask them where their peddlers license is!! I am also a Licensed court appointed reposessor. I could always say I am repoing this van you missed 2 payments and take the whole damn van!! I'll just show them my badge. Then let them try to find it from every repo office in the state.

another sucker
Got the TR-2000's about a month ago. They're okay nothing special. I over paid like the majority of the people here. Funny thing is I read two posts where people compared these with their cheap KLH's and I also have a set of KLH's I compared my TR's with. My KLH's are 4 ways, 15 inch woofer...can't remember the model name. I think I paid near 200 for two of them in 1997 and I know I got a good deal on them b/c I got them at some electronics show and they were display models. Anyways, my KLH's blow these TR-2000's away also. Hell, I'd actually be happy with the Tr-2000's if I got them for 200 or less, but I was dumb enough to believe the speakers I got were "high end" speakers. I wonder if anyone has ever asked for a transaction cancelation with the 3 day period....if you were lucky enough to get a receipt with the correct date on it.

Anonymous
I payed $50.00 for TR-8200 did I get ripped off guy in a blue van.

I just offered my Friend $20 for his TR-8200 Model. Where did her get the $500 cash anyway? Sucka born every day! I'm down to $15.

Naive Fool
I just joined this club. I paid $260 outside of the Home Depot in Clermont Florida, just 20 minutes west of Orlando. Two guys out of a red Blazer with a temporary licence plate saying they had extra TR-1110's out for delivery and wanted to sell them for money to go to a topless bar. I didn't need them or anything. I'm 42 and know better, but here I am anyway. Like several others here, I went straight to the Internet when I got home to check on what kind of a "deal" I got. Not a very good one I guess. I drove around for a bit aftewards hoping to meet up with the guys again. I suppose it's probably good that I didn't.

Jake Plummer
I just bought a TR-8200 (one sub with amp + 5 speakers) from two guys in a blue truck this week in Montreal (Quebec). They told me exactly the same god damned story as Dave's story...They told me that it was worth 2500$ U.S. but that they had to get rid of it before they go back to see their boss (they told me it was a delivery error)...They wanted 600$CAN for it, but I finally had it for 400$CAN (260$US). I really feel that this is a giant conspiracy and that I have been robbed. What should I think ??? My brother whose in electronic will evaluate this system with me this weekend. I'll return here to put my comments on the quality of this system. I hope, it's not worth 15$ like Ed Silk says! Anyway, if anyone has information about the two guys who are selling in Montreal, please write me on this site...

KOOLAID
does anyone KNOW how to get in contact with the distributor of these speakers? or how to contac them on information about it?

Doh!!
anwayz, like i said, i got the number of the distributer for my area (orlando). i called, he answered, i said i wanted a refund, and he hung up. lol, what should i expect right? well, let me give him something he doesnt expect... i have the address of where he runs his business out of.. i drove over there (its in longwood)and checked it out. Its legit, he does run his shop out of there. its a bunhc of garages. i talked to one of the guys that worked next door (TR man wasnt tehre of course) and he told me that monday morning, 9:00, they will all be there. thats when his "shipment" arrives and he distributes it out to his car people. so, im thinkin im just gonna happen to stop by monday morning around 9:00 demanding a refund.. see how that goes. if any1 is in the orlando area, around longwood, post here tonight and i will give u directions and stuff if u feel like rollin up with me at 9 in the morning! cant wait to see the look on his face, heheheh!!

Duh
Doh!!

You sound like a real piece of work... let me know how that works out.

A few suggestions... slice the tires... wait and pick up a couple of floor standing speakers when no one is looking... or sugar in the gas tank.

Good Luck.

idiot
Jack Plummer. I bought TR- speakers in montreal last week . I took the plate number of the blue suburban. Dont know if there is something to do with it.

kooliade
can you give me the number to ur orlando guy that sold you the speakers so i can talk to him.? thanks

speakerman
Hahahaha...this message board is hilarious. Thanks for all of your money people. My rent is paid every month thanks to you. Thanks to all those who say these speakers are as good or better than BOSE. I will be happy to sell you more speakers or even trade you. Peace...spread the good word.

soundman
speakerman

can I have your email adresse I would like to trade system if possible. I have a TR-5210
I also would like to buy a TR-1110.

Anonymous
They are in the Northeast Corner of CT now , my boyfriend bought a TR7000( we never even discussed buying any system) because he thought it was a good deal! One guy in a green Dodge utility Ram van, same story left overs from the Mohegan Sun Casino installation, so he thought they must be good.

Boston MA
ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST!!!

This will make most of you feel better - I paid $500 for the TR 7000. An important lesson learned.

On I go... living through this game - called life.

Outside of Boston, Ma. Peace

yeah speakerman i would like to buy some more speakers. e-mail me and lets do business. Thats if your for real. I'll let everyone know if this guys legit or a pissed off buyer. If i don't get back... its the latter. You would think if this guy was a salesman he would have left a way to get ahold of him. we'll see.

Anonymous
I know it is no consolation. Yesterday, I tried to hook up TR7000 with a cheap Sony Receiver (DE485) and it seems to work fine. It sounded fine to me, I am not sure about finer details in sound quality though since I am no expert.

Boston MA
I hooked up the TR7000 to an okay but nothing great, kenwook receiver and they sounded like sh**. They don't produce a clean, crisp sound like I'm use to. Once I replace my receiver with something a bit more powerful maybe they'll sound better.

Max
Hey,
Digital dave, they do have a contact but I got no response. Just check out the thread called "speaker quality" these speaker guys actualy posted on there! you will find there posts towrads the bottom. Just click on there names and one of the guys has an e-mail address.

speakerman
My name is GIO and my phone number is (615) 429-6636. If you want to buy more speakers or exchange them for different models...then call me. I am an official saleman for Theater Research...and yes...I do drive a van!

Hotshot Hauler
Looks like I just joined the club! And guys, our dues are PAID! I called my wife and told her I just bought us something we've been wanting and to look up theater research TR 1110 to see what I was bringing her. Keep in mind, I told her nothing else. In less then 10 minutes she called back and said "honey, did you buy some towers from two guys in a white van?" " Did you wash your forehead this morning, or did you have a {scam me} written there???" My high came crashing down, then I got pissed! These guys in the van looked like our college grandsons. I had alot of fun talking to them. They were working interstate 80 in Chicago, in a traffic jam. After reading most of the comments, I must say I'm not feeling as bad. And I just hope I have good sound. Gotta tell ya, my wife was laughing when I called, and is still laughing. Because I came home with 2 RIGHT speakers. Now I have to go hunt those little shits up to trade one right for a left! Unless someone here has my left, hopefully here in Dec., Indiana

Anonymous
Hotshot Hauler

they sold me only one left. and no right. I tought there were 2 in the box. I didnt check. let me know if you want to buy my left TR-1100

Hotshot Hauler
anonymous

May be interested. How much did you pay, how much do you want? Going to bed, I'll be back here tomorow night.

montreal
hey, Jack Plummer and idiot, I also just bought the tr8200 in Montreal from that same suburban. I paid $500 canadian for them but I have not installed them yet. Have you guys installed the speakers yet? if so, are you satisfied?
I will hook mine up this weekend and I will post my results.
It is weird that the only 8200 models in this entire thread have been sold in Montreal. I have not seen anyone else talk about this model anywhere else in Norht America. I just find that kind of strange. The magazine they showed me didn't even have this model. It showed the tr-8000 but not the 8200 which is suppose to be better, so they say...
I'm looking forward to finding out if the 8200 sounds as good as they look.
I'll let you know soon.

duped!
Guys...they got me too!!!
yesterday an SUV pulls up right besides me and the guy asks me 'hey, want some speakers?'...and talks about 'over-shipment' and things like that. Damn ! He was asking $1000 for 2 TR 1110. He even showed me the speakers and they looked professionals. I was conned into believing those were actually good speakers (each was marked $999.00). I couldnt believe they talked me into actually buying those speakers - I paid $ 300 for 2. I havent hooked them up as yet - I hope they 'work' !
I dont have any receipt or anything - so I guess even the Manufacturer's warranty is no good ! Please let me know if someone has tried getting their products registered.
I am in Florida - Alachua county.

Anonymous
Hotshot

150$???

Max
Hey,
Hey Duped you say they got you yesterday, did you just find this thread today, the day after you bought them? Its almost like you people new of this thread but still bought them.

Max
Hey,
Hey Duped you say they got you yesterday, did you just find this thread today, the day after you bought them? Its almost like you people new of this thread but still bought them.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us