Sony vs. Onkyo. But some local question...

Unregistered guest
Hi;

From this forum -which is very helpful-, I have seen that GENERALLY Onkyo is better than Sony. But here in Turkey, it is not easy to find all models at reasonable prices. So this is my case:

I have found Sony str da1000 (or db790) and Onkyo at a retailer. Price of Sony is about 380 euro(=494$) which is between same range as in US. But price of Onkyo 501 is 535 euro(=695$) which seems very high. As far as I see from Internet, price of 501 is not so high in US, actually lower than sony da1000. Sales person insisted on Onkyo so much that I am confused. He talked about "all channel stereo" and other things. From this forum and other resources, I know Onkyo is better but do you think that does it worth to pay so much difference? What would you do in terms of price/performance?
I do not have much refined tastes of sound. (for the moment, at least) :-) Probably music to movie ratio will be 50/50. I also do not think to invest much on speakers now, but later.

Any idea will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Devrim Turkmen

Username: Edison

Post Number: 234
I like onkyo better - sounds more refined and less fatiguing, especially models 800 and up. There are some web sights that will ship internationally - perhaps you can find a europian sight, or buy at Ebay (europian sights).

You will have more choices, and better prices, so you can have more quality.

Only sony es sounds good - I would go with an onkyo. They were well received by Hifi-choice magazine. You can read reviews by the pros, and you will end up with a better sound.

Username: Stelch

Post Number: 6
Go for the Sony STR-DB790. Excellent sound and better value for money than Onkyo. Do not listen to what other people say. Listen to your ears. Go and hear the Sony and you you be pleasantly suprised.

Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 88
Yes, listen for yourself and I think you will find the Onkyo to be a much better sounding unit than Sony. They have very different sound characteristics, the Sony being bright and the Onkyo more smooth or almost dark. I prefer the Onkyo and IMO Sony makes the worst receivers on the market. Very bright and poor power supplies. Listen to both if possible.

dubz
Unregistered guest
sony makes good tv's, stick with there tv's. look eleswhere for recievers. there are reasons why everyone says stay away from sony recievers.

Devrim Turkmen
Unregistered guest
First, thanks to all of you.
As far as I understand, for most of you, Onkyo is better and even feasible even with such a price difference. Meanwhile, complete model name of Sony is STR-DA1000ES. I think it makes it an ES model although there is no ES in European model name. (I downloaded its guide from Amazon. In the first page both model numbers are printed, so they should be the same).
In the shop, I only listened to Onkyo. Sales person changed to a mode and said in that mode it sounds like Sony. Then it changed to all channel stereo mode. There was a difference but I should listen to Sony itself.
This is what I will do: I will ask Onkyo to some other shops and search on Internet. I will listen to Sony also. As James Lee stated, if difference is more obvious from model 800 and up (that means not much difference at lower models) and Sony does not disturb me when I listen to, I will go on with Sony. If their price would be the same, I would select Onkyo.

PS: I have just tried. Purchasing an ONKYO TX-SR601 from Amazon will cost me 865$ and 501 will cost 682$(normal price is 300$, S&H, taxes, etc are added). That price is almost the same with here.

Post Number: 7
<there>

Here is the reason:
http://www.agoraquest.com/viewtopic.php?topic=11576&forum=51

Stelios

Anonymous

What else would you expect them to say? It is after all a Sony enthusiasts website. The caption at the top left-handside reads "The only place for the Sony Enthusiast". I think that sums it up perfectly.

Anonymous

Sony receivers (especially ES) keep getting pretty good reviews from HT magazines at least in Europe.

Post Number: 8
So what difference does it make Anonymous.These people are like you and me and and happy with their Sony equipment. Just because it's Sony it musn't upset you. Point me to another enthusiats website then to see.

Stelios

Username: Geekboy

Post Number: 58
Let me say this. I have a Kenwood KR-V990D that I wanted to replace. On September 27, 2003, I went out to Best Buy and BOUGHT a Sony STR-DE995B. I got it home, unhooked my Kenwood KR-V-990D and connected the Sony. After about 1 hour of HORRIBLE performance -- and attempting to tweak it. I brought it back to the store the next day!

The thing had absolutely no power. Sony "claimed" it was 110W x 7 (and a 7.1 receiver). My Kenwood KR-V990D is 105W x 3 and 75W x 2 (a 5.1 receiver). I think it ACTUALLY puts out those numbers. The Sony started clipping and the sound was horrendous. I couldn't get it "loud" at all before clipping. In stereo, it was "okay" but not as good as the Kenwood. I was looking for something BETTER.

So, I looked around a little (reviews, etc) and purchased the Harman Kardon AVR 525 on October 1, 2003. I couldn't be happier. Here's a receiver which "claims" to put out 70W x 7 which does BETTER than advertised. This unit actually performed and was pleasant to listen to.

Sony mis-advertises power ratings and DOES have significantly cheaper power supplies in their NON-ES line. I always would tell my friends "don't buy Sony unless the model number ends in ES". I didn't follow my own guideline.

The Sony consumer products (not ending in ES) are mis-advertised and are not the best in their class. Unlike Bose (speakers), which are overpriced but performs well for their class, the Sony is just NOT in the same class as H/K, Pioneer Elite, Marantz nor Onkyo (even).

Just my opinion, your mileage may vary.

Note: use of Sony recievers may cause, depression, general discomfort, headaches, dizziness, blurred or distorted vision, loss of balance, dry mouth, numbness, periodontal disease, lockjaw, tremors, heart palpitations, vericose veins, liver damage, low blood pressure, high blood pressure, kidney failure, loss of taste, loss of smell, loss of sight, early Alzheimers, cardiac arrest, and in EXTREMELY RARE cases, death.

Post Number: 59
Of course my "disclaimer" in the previous posting was for amusement only. I don't hate Sony products. My DVP is a Sony NS725P progressive scan DVD player.

Devrim Turkmen
Unregistered guest
Hi again;
Personally I will not be able to listen at high volumes. (But many people say, even at lower volumes, high watts matters. I want to hear if you think that way).
Another issue; I said that, SONY STR DB790 and SAR DA1000ES are the same. But in the manuel, some differences are shown, like US version is 7.1 while 790 is 6.1. I hope there is not much any difference and 790 is also ES. Actually in product specifications page on web sites in Europe, "QS" is mentioned. May be it is European counterpart of ES.

Post Number: 9
Devrim you are quite right the SONY STR DB790 and SAR DA1000ES are the same.(except for the 7.1 Vs the 6.1. The construction inside is more or less the same. Yes in America they use the ES where as in Europe is the QS (marketing reasons).This was confirmed to me from a Sony Engineer in Japan.
I used to have a HK receiver but mostof the time was in for repairs. I am not saying that their products are no good, but this particular model that I hade was giving me all of the above (depression, general discomfort, headaches, dizziness, blurred or distorted vision, loss of balancethat....) that our friend geekboy experienced with the Sony ES model. It can happen to any receiver.

Stelios

Post Number: 60
Yes, I like Sony ES brands -- I guess that includes QS in Europe. I think that Sony does it right in those models, but doesn't on the lower end. I guess it's like when IBM, a powerhouse in computers, first attempted the "low end" desktop... the PC Junior (PS-1). Sometimes it's just not worth it for some manufacturers to get into the low end of their product line. Sony has done very well with televisions, video components and high end stereo equipment. I just can't believe what they do to their low end stereo equipment... but then again... look at the IBM example. Sometimes it's about mass marketing and pricing pressures that makes these companies go the "cheap" way on components and it shows.

What were we talking about... oh yeah... Sony ES... yes, by all means, please audition the Sony ES/QS unit along with the Onkyo unit. You may just like the Sony ES/QS. If it weren't a Sony ES/QS, I would say to try the Sony ES/QS line.

Devrim Turkmen
Unregistered guest
Thank you, friends.

Your experiences and explanations are very helpful for me. Also the level of discussion and attitude of people here is very nice.
Thanks, again.

Sarandon
Unregistered guest
dude get the Onkyo 800.

Devrim Turkmen
Unregistered guest
I got the sony str db790. Onkyos are some expensive for me, even the 501. Maybe in future.
I did not set the Sony up yet, as I hadn't had the speakers. Last saturday, I bought a set of Panasonic SB-HEP10. It consists of 5 identical speakers. Neither too small nor too big. They are some heavy and look like they will handle the job. (and they are cheap, compared to other sets. Because they are not produced any more). I will connect them to sony and give them a try. On the other side, for subwoofer part, I am considering a pioneer. One of my friends has one and he is not using it as he does not need a subwoofer.
Any idea is welcome for these, too.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us