Receiver to compliment ceiling speakers

Username: Wilky

Post Number: 1
Can anyone recommend a receiver in the $600-$1000 range that would compliment speakers that I will be installing into a two story family room ceiling in a house I am currently building. Unfortunately, my wife has insisted on ceiling speakers so that they are completely hidden from site (fortunately I'll have my nicer system in the basement to be). Anyway, right now I plan on purchasing the Definitive Technology UIW 94/A ceiling speakers and plan to put 4 speakers into the high ceiling. I have obvious concerns with the height of the speakers and hopefully the Def Tech speakers will have enough power from up there to have a clean, crisp, powerful sound. (I'm open to suggestions on a better ceiling speaker also). I feel as though I need a powerful receiver to drive the sound from so high, but also don't want to overwhelm them (if that's possible). I've considered all of the top brand receivers that have been discussed in these forums, but at this time I'm not married to any because I want the best compatible receiver to compliment these ceiling speakers. Additionally I would like to be able to control seperate speakers on my deck with this receiver and the movie-music ratio is about 50/50. I current;y have the Denon AVR 2700 in the basement and could transer that up to the family room and replace that one to go with the Polk speaker system that I have with my other system. In that scenerio what receiver would also work best with the RT Polk series. Thanks for anyone who may be able to help.

Username: Edison

Post Number: 197
Panasonic sa-xr45 (only $300 from web) - this has digital amps and sound pleasantly smooth and warm, though not the most powerful and full sounding.

Onkyo 801 is also nice.

For speakers, I heard good things about the Def - my favorite is the Niles audio. Has soft upscale sound with a tranparent tweeter that makes such a pretty sound. Not a full and warm sounding speaker, but refined and cold - some like it.

If you enclose them in a box, they will sound even better - if you are handy with wood. Search the web for speaker building to get help in that department, if you don't know already.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us