Kef refernce 104ab help

Username: Gover_1

Post Number: 1
hiya, just brought a pair of kef reference 104's with the ab crossover and am looking at an amp that would do these speakers justice , however i only have £300,though am willing to buy either second hand or new, prior to commiting myself to these classic speakers from the 1970's i was considering the top of the range cambridge audio azur a640 but am wondering how well an old pair of speakers would mix with such a modern amp , although in thory they are compatible , would this be a compromise on sound, idealy i would like a quad set up , but this is beyond my price range, thanks for you help (ps , am a bit out of my league on classic hi-fi, these speakers are nearly twice my age) thankyou , mark

Username: John_a

Post Number: 63
Mark,

Those are really great speakers even by today's standards - nothing fundamental has changed in speaker design.

http://www.kef.com/history/1970/model104.htm

I have Corellis which have been in daily use pretty well since 1979. Note your speakers go up to 40 kHz, and down 30 Hz. Few speakers today can match that, unless you pay a fortune. When Cd kicked in, the standard upper limit on speakers went down to 20 kHz because that is the max for Cd (not so with the older analogue sources like LP, tape).

Today KEF and others boast about taking the ceiling up again, ready for DVD-A etc. You are already there!

The rated power of 50 W is conservative and modest. You can drive them with a more powerful amp if you wish - KEF were always clear about this. The Watts rating on speakers is widely misunderstood. It is how much they use, not the volume they give out.

If you want to buy new, you could consider an NAD amp. It will give great results, with perfect impedence matching etc. Do NOT just buy the cheapest Watts - there is a quality factor, and also many amp makers' claims border on downright lies. See http://www.nad.co.uk/power/
There are many good amps. A good dealer e.g. member of UK BADA will advise.

If you really want a Quad (I know just how you feel) you can look in classified ads in HiFi mags or even your local newspaper. But NAD is true to the Quad-type values, gives audiophile type sound, and good customer support, if needed. And nothing has changed as regards matching, either. In the thirty-odd years since your speakers were made, construction costs have gone down in real terms, that's about all, in my opinion.

You made a good decision!

Post Number: 2
cheers john for the advice, you have condirmed my thoughts on these speakers (going to pick them up tomorrow) and have pointed me in the right direction for amps, how souitable would the nad c350 be? also do you know anywhere within uk that is a good source for second hand maps , thankyou for your help , mark

Post Number: 69
MArk,

That amp looks good

http://www.nad.co.uk/reviews/C350-1100_framset.htm

...I have no personal experience with it, but I am quite sure it would be a good match for the KEF 104s. I have recently come back to hi-fi with my family's enthusiasm for home cinema. With NAD you do not have to trade stereo quality for surround sound quality, so you might wish to consider the NAD T742 receiver, too. It may be a bit more expensive.

Can't help you with maps. Except the link
http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/ - OS were always the best. The site has historic maps.

Good luck with those ace speakers. I can't imagine anyone selling them. Please report on how you get on with them.

Post Number: 70
Perhaps you meant "amps"?

Post Number: 3
sorry , yes that was supposed to say amps , any ideas ?

Username: Valeem

Post Number: 10
What is your budget for that amp I may be able to help?

Post Number: 4
around £300 but preferably more like £250 am open to sujestions though

Post Number: 11
Try here:

http://www.richersounds.com/index.php?f=itemlist.php&c=1001

It states that they are temporarily out of stock but if you make enquiries either by phoning your local branch or their General Stock Enquiry Line on: 0870 3661296 or email stockenquiries@richersounds.com they may be able to find one for you.

Failing that you may want to consider the C320BEE which is only 10W lower in outright power but as you know this is only a very conservative figure and also I've heard it's a more musical unit and it's a bit cheaper. Also they may have it in titanium (if that suits you more) as I recently saw one on display at one of my local stores.

Hope this helps?

Post Number: 5
thanks i've been looking at richersounds for a while but am split between the nad and the cambridge audio azur a640 , if they stocked the nad c372 then i would probably be swayed once and for all, what would u sujjest out of the azur a640 and the nad c350 they have on offer here?

Post Number: 12
Also here for £240:

http://www.prcdirect.co.uk/PRC/PRC.storefront

Post Number: 13
Well I don't know yet but I'll be collecting a C320bee for an extended listen soon and also the Cambridge Audio unit after that (and Marantz PM7200 if possible).

I asked at my local store and they will let me try them at home for 14 days (long enough for a run-in) to see which one I prefer. Check with your local store and ask about their refund policy if you decide on neither.

The sales assistant said that the Azur 640A needs about 100 hours of use before it sound it's best.

Post Number: 6
hiya just been offered a quad 33/303 set up , with box and manuals for £200, i know these were excelent in there time but how would they comapre to say a modern day nad , cheers

Post Number: 14
Quads in general are a step up from NAD amplifiers and with your offering being a pre/power combo should sound better. I see there is currently one being offered on ebay (£130 right now) that has been modified to offer CD input. Does your unit offer this and can you get a listen before you buy? Let us know how you get on.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26item%3D3068777001&category=4787

Post Number: 7
ok, one quick q, the nad c350 is rated at 60w per channel , this is a little over the rating of the speakers, which im advised is good, the c370 is rated at 120w , is this complete overkill, or will it mean that the speakers are easy work for the amp and therfore better quality sound ,at the minute looks like i am prob guna go for the c350, though if a good quad set up comes up before the 27th (pay day) or just after i might be tempted, i contacted the other people about the quad cd input and it didnt have it , i have noticed over the past few months on ebay quite a few do , i am also looking for one prefrably that has been converted to phono rather that dim, of course idealy id like the 606 with matching preamp but thats out my price range, as would be the then must by electrostatic speakers, cheers for everyones help, still looking for sujjestions if any one has got them , partic on good sources of second hand amps, cheers, mark

Post Number: 8
ok, the speakers have just arrived, and they are fantastic, just connected up to my brothers kef system, and they are awsome, although i realise still limited by the amp , i have decided to go for a quad 34 and 306 set up, but does any one know if the 34 needs updating to accept cd input like the 33 does?

Post Number: 9
sorry thats a kenwood kaf 1010 amp, not the worlds best

Post Number: 16
It's great that you appreciate the ability of Quad amplifiers but have you considered the likely cost of servicing and repairing such old units should anything go wrong. At least with a new unit you are protected for a year, even longer should you take up Richers excellent value extended warranty.

Concerning the output of the NAD units, I think the C370 is over kill for your needs as you will not be using anywhere near its full potential. The C320BEE or C350 is more than enough for your speakers.

Did you know that NAD always gives a conservative figure when quoting power outputs? I would not be surprised if they produce 50% more power (or even higher) than the quoted figure.

Post Number: 71
Mark,
Again, you made a good decision.
"CD input" is nonsense. "Auxiliary" will work fine. "Tape" may do, too. CD players give a larger output signal in Volts than was customary for tuner and tape in those days, and phono is still a low-output signal - auxiliary is almost certainly the best choice. Each input will require a DIN plug, once a European standard. All CD players etc today have "RCA" connectors (they were once also called "phono" connectors, confusingly).
You can buy an RCA (female)-DIN adaptor. It is a "dumb" wiring adaptor; they are cheap and foolproof. Just as good, you can get (or make) an interconnect cable with RCA (male) plugs at one end, and a DIN plug at the other.
The power rating on a 306 is a very conservative and honest 2 x 50 W. That is exactly the kind of amp the KEFs were made for. I predict your amp/speaker system will knock the socks off anything you can buy today under about £1500.
If you really want to go retro you should consider getting a turntable. You may be surprised!
There is a book published last year on Quad, the legend. It is reviewed in Nov or Jan HiFi News.
Good luck.
Let us know how you get on.

Post Number: 17
OK John, but can you explain further why Quad designed a specific input for use with a CD player. Is it just a matter of added flexibility or will a seperately designed CD input improve CD performance?

Post Number: 72
BTW I wrote about planned obsolescence and what is really new on

How many years of use before upgrading your Home Theater system?

It was in reply to someone who was, I think, looking for an excuse to spend money. Any comments welcomed. I think the home theatre forum is not a good place for that post - no-one there wants to hear that nothing much is new and half the hyped formats are a con!

Post Number: 18
I've read the post and in general agree with what you say. I am under the impression that 'New Technology' has more to do with improving manufacturers margins than giving the consumer better products to play with. There are of course exceptions to the rule, one being the advent of DVD which is universally accepted as being of benefit to the consumer. I also believe that we are still a little way off from having a definitive standard (in performance terms) where we can honestly say that this new technology has been fully exhausted one instance being the use of improved video DAC's and DVI. Ditto receivers.

Sorry Mark, could not post on 'How many year....' thread.

Post Number: 73
valeem,

CD outputs were high, maybe 2V, compared with the standard of that time. But the Quad 34 inputs have max values of: Aux 25 V; Tape 15 V; radio 5 V. There is also a question of matching input impedences.

But the "Aux" will be safe, and the only thing to do is try it. If it does not play loud enough, I am surprised, but than try "Tape". If you overload the input you will get distortion. It is most unlikely, even with "tape". But listen and you will hear it, if it is there.

http://www.retrohifi.co.uk/quad%2034_44.html

My only reservation about Quad pre-amps was their insistence on the value of fiddly filters (called "slope control"). I always maintain that of you need that, you should get a better signal source. Probably Quad though there was something special to put in the path of a signal from a CD player (some of the early ones were rubbish and needed some tweaks to stop them sounding harsh and brittle). But CD players have evolved, and good ones will not give a coloured signal - we are back in the sane world of flat frequency response.

It could also be flexibility, too. Today pretty well all inputs to a pre-amp are the same, except phono. So if you need your Quad "Aux" input for something else, then you can change one of the other inputs, and call it "CD". It will most likely have the same spec as "Aux".

BTW my contemporary Armstrong amp is described here:
http://www.st-and.demon.co.uk/Audio/600/600faq.html

All the same rules about input matching etc apply just as well to a Quad pre-amp, I think.

Post Number: 74
valeem,

Thanks. I did not know threads got closed like that. I will re-post it here. Hope Mark does not mind. I would start a new thread, but I cannot see which category it comes under.

Post Number: 19
How does your Armstrong amp (first I've heard of them) compare to the likes of NAD etc. and what are the costs involved and availability?

Post Number: 75
I do not use it at the moment. In about 1992 I took it to a dealer to service, and he did something that introduced hum. I failed to follow up, "upgraded" instead, and so my Armstrong 621 is boxed, stored, and in need of repair. It was generally compared with the Quad 33/303. I will maybe have a go at fixing it myself one day. Probably it is a capacitor failure. These old items are very serviceable. The tuner is still working fine but replaced by the tuner in my NAD A/V receiver.

I see you went ahead and bought the BK sub. How is it? I was wondering, never saw the follow-up.

Post Number: 21
I did eventually follow up, it took longer than expected for the sub to arrive:

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/4943.html

I've just seem some Armstrong units on ebay and they seem to fetch good money. I was wondering how does the sound compare to your NAD receiver?

Post Number: 22
If you can remember that far back?

Post Number: 23
Concerning REL manufacturing their own subwoofers. A moderator on another forum posted this in reply to a members query:

Didn't BK Electronics make the REL Q100 and REL Quake subs, too?

Yes to the Q100 but I understand that REL acquired their own manufacturing facility and designed and manufactured the Q150 onwards themselves.

Post Number: 76
valeem,

I can't honestly do an NAD/Armstrong comparison, so many other things have changed. My position at present on their sound would have to be "no significant difference". I would have to get the Armstrong fixed to be able to investigate more.

But the Armstrong 621 was great, and I was sad when it went down, and that was a servicer incompetence, not bad design or construction. In UK, at least, you will probably easily find good service if you ever need it. Armstrong, like Quad, are simple and logical to electronics engineers. Unlike today, they encouraged owners to take to covers off and admire the construction.

Thanks for the feedback on the BK sub. Congratulations!

Must leave this for a while. Best wishes. I will maybe re-post my reamarks on obsolescence somewhere else, I do not wish to hi-jack Mark's thread.

BTW I am quite serious about recommending a turntable. I think younger people just do not know how CD won the war purely on convenience, not sound quality. It is industry propaganda that says otherwise. Now new LPs are being pressed again, and the turntables being made are all good ones, they have to be, there is no mass market to fool.

Post Number: 27
I agree, don't want to hi-jack Mark's thread. Back to you Mark.

Post Number: 10
dont worry bout hijacking- the thread , i dont view it as something i have ownership over, feel free to chat in here bout w@ u like, have already got a turntable , a dual 606 , had it for a while , is handy for the kind of music i listen to (mainly betles , who , led zeppelin, simon and garfunkle, deep purple etc etc)as it is of the lp generation, but then guess im not your avverage 16 year old

Post Number: 31
Mark, any more thoughts on going new or used?

Post Number: 11
hiya, looks like my last post didnt go through , hence it being a while since i posted , i have gone for a quad 34 306 set up, the 34 is the later model with phonos instead of dinn connectors , im still waiting for this system to arrive. i made this decision based on the fact that the build quality of the quad is said to be rock solid where as the nad is said to be a bit fragile ( although sound quality may make up for this) , and also that i have been told here and other places that the nads imperseate the quad quite well, my view on this is why not get the original, finally when a quad 34/306 came up ( should be good match with the kefs , same no of Watts and also the quad system made for conventional speakers not electrostatics) for 300 inc delivery rather than the price they normally go at ( about £325 plus delivery) my choice was made , when post when these turn up , i get home everyday so far deisapointed that there isnt a box or two waiting for me , but therl be here soon, hopefully, mark

Post Number: 12
hiya, my quads have just arrived, the build quality is excelltent (took my brothers technics amp out which felt like lots of components screwed together, and put in my quads which felt like single solid well made components) and althoguh the 306 is still warming up (aparently a trait of the 306 is that it takes a while to warm up but afterwards sounds mutch beter) the sound is brilliant, i am very pleased with my choice, an added bonus for me was the size , these units are mutch smaller than coneventional amplifiers yet still pack a punch, this is good news for uni, as maybe i will buy some quad 11l or a similar quality bookshelf speakers and take these amps to uni. the one question now for the next few months is what cd player ? it has become obvious to me that my cd player is the weekest link in this set up, should i go for the acclaimed nad 521bee , a quad cd player , or something completly different, ne ideas?

Post Number: 54
Mark,

I have the C521BEE and think it's an excellent player for the money but think the C541i or C542 would bring out the best in your Quad's, with them having the full 24bit Burr Brown DAC and not the 20bit one that the C521BEE comes with (about time NAD put the full 24bit ones in the 52* series me thinks). You would get more detail and dynamics with the better spec'd NAD's.

The 20bit Burr Brown DAC performs as well as most 24bit ones from other manufacturers.

If you can't stretch to the higher spec'd NAD's then you may want to consider one from Cambridge Audio's new Azur range. They use Wolfsan DAC's like the ones used by Arcam in their ace players.

Not sure about Quad players though as I have no experiance of them.

You can take both NAD and Cambridge cd players home for a 14 day audition at Richers to see which one you like best. Also you can get the C521BEE from Richers for £160 if you mention that these two sellers have it for £170:-

http://www.hificonfidential.co.uk/products2.cfm?id=6&id2=null&id3=null&id4=null& id5=null&id6=null&id7=null&id8=null&id9=null&id10=null&CFID=16705&CFTOKEN=661887 66&jsessionid=ec30446541074283272264

http://www.hispek.com

Post Number: 55
I forgot to mention if your existing player has a digital output (coaxial or optical) you could use it as a transport and add an external DAC to it. I have not gone down this route myself but have read many instances where this can give good results. You may want look into it?

Look under Hi-fi systems, seperates..... here:-

http://www.avforums.com/

Post Number: 110
Congratulations, Mark.

Valeem writes good sense. All I can add is there is no point in getting and older CD player. CD players, unlike amps and speakers, HAVE improved.

I have plugged BADA before. Those dealers would all have sold and recommended Quad 34/303 when new, also the KEF 104 ab. So it might be a good idea to find a local BADA member and see what they have to say, and what they recommend, now.

Post Number: 13
hiya, am thinking of perhaps adding a dac to my curent cd deck (has optical out and should add an imediate improvement) and then in a few years time upgrading my cd deck , for a dedicated cd transport, but want to know first wether the cd transport and dac need to be (matched) in any way, because if this is o , then i am probably best saving up and buying a pair, thankyou for your help , mark

Post Number: 56
mark,

from what I've read so far it's not that important to match the transport and DAC but it is important to listen to any prospective DAC candidate as, like in all audio, there are good and bad sounding DAC's.

Also try to listen to some good cd players to see if there is in fact an improvement from a separate DAC.

Hope that helps some?

Post Number: 14
hi, the 34/306 set up is still superb, however am getting twitches to build in a dvd player with surround suport within the next few months, is there a suitable av reciever with a pre out that i could feed to the 306, and leave the reciever to run centre and rears (will probably buy some more kefs for this) , as i say as yet this is only a dream , but am looking for a way of incorperating my beloved quads and kefs into a surround sound system , thanks for your help again, mark (p.s have also chosen to buy the top of the range nad cd player , which i will probably buy end of feb , thanks for your help , mark)

Post Number: 15
ok, looking at my current system ,at the minute im using some borrowed ofc cable and bog standard phono iterconnecs, what do you sujjest i replace these with ? thanks , mark

Post Number: 119
Mark,

1. NAD receivers have pre-in AND pre-out. You can do pretty well anything. I looked at all ways or incorporating my stereo system into a 5.1 system. I ended up using an NAD 5.1 A/V receiver even as first choice for stereo: it beat the Sony stereo power amp, which I now use for stereo only, feeding two sets of speakers in other rooms. If you keep the Quad pre-amp it can be useful as input AND output to the pre-amp stage of an A/V receiver (I use a pre-amp for phono and tape) - as well as giving an ouput to the power amp stage of the receiver and to the Quad stereo power amp.

2. Before buying a CD player consider that DVD-players do the job, and really well. Consider 5.1 DVD-A capability, too.

3. Bog standard interconnects are as good as anything.

Unregistered guest
I think i'm going back a bit but I have a question about the Quad 33 pre-amp. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement volume control? Quad do do them, but I got the last one from them and they supplied me with the wrong resistance, and it broke after not very long. It's a really wierd design not available in electronics shops: A two track 50 Ohm potentiometer with a power swith activated when the volume is turned up from/ down to min. If anyone can help me I would gratly appreciate it!

Oh by the way, when the preamp was working I put a cd player through it into the radio input and it sounded great. So don't know what the point of the modified CD input is, although I know that all the board does is attenuate the signal.

Post Number: 120
Chris,

"Tuner" input should be fine for CD. See January 05, above.

Tell Quad they supplied the wrong resistance pot and they will get it right next time.

Post Number: 57
mark,

Regarding your dream of incorporating your Quad/Kef's into an HT setup. You have a few options:

Firstly, you can hook up a dvd player (or TV using it's stereo outputs if yours has them) to your Quad's/Kef's and let them work their magic on any soundtrack. I know this isn't surround sound but many people enjoy using their stereo equipment in this way. Anyway you can achieve this simply by buying an interconnect (a budget one like say a Qunex 1 etc. will suffice) and connect it to your tv output that way you get both dvd and tv broadcasts etc. from one connection.

Secondly, you can buy a receiver, like an NAD, and do as you say, incorporate your Quad's to run the front L/R channels. There is however one problem with this and that is that the front soundstage will be inconsistent, with your centre channel relying on a different amplifier. IMO not the best way to go.

Thirdly and I think this is the best solution for you, use your 'beloved' Quad's strictly for stereo use and use an HT receiver to run all your speakers for movie use etc. Connect your Quad/Kef's in the usual manner but use some banana plugs with jumpers to make the connection to your kef's and use the jumpers to connect your receiver to your Kef's also (can someone please confirm this will work as I'm not 100% sure? Thanks!). I think you will have to switch one or the other off when using this method.

Lastly, you can (dare I say it) sell your Quad's and get yourself an impressive HT receiver, like John mentions, this way you can save some money and space and still be left with a very good all round system. I think a NAD will go well with your Kef's.

Just some options for you to consider.

Regarding your future purchase of a CD player, I think John may well be right in saying that a good DVD player will give good stereo results and will also allow for multichannel music (you may wish to have this option for the future) but if your goal is for outright stereo performance then I don't think that a £300 DVD player will have the stereo capability of a good £300 CD player.

You need to put your thinking cap on!

Finally, for speaker wire you may want to try some silver anniversary from QED. A well reviewed cable at a reasonable price. I'm going to try some soon so can let you know how it compares to the QED Original that I'm using already.

As far as a stereo interconnect goes I think you may well have one or two in mind already?. Could one be from Van Den Hul by any chance? My advice would be to source one from ebay at a more reasonable price. I will be (hopefully) receiving mine shortly so can let you know how it compares to my Qunex 1 and VDH The Bay C5. If you don't decide to get the CD player then I suggest you stick with a budget one.

Just my two cents!

Post Number: 16
hiya , thanks for your help everyone yet again, th the minute i think i am going to stick with the 306 /34 configuration , and when i can afford it buy the top of the range nad cd player, maybe i will later incorparate the quads into a surround sound system , perhaps using more than one 306 (my dad has had good results using a decoder and 4 musical fidelity power amps conected to a pair of biamped 107/2 , a set of kef koda 3's and a ref 101 centre speaker which was fantastic but sadly my mum didnt like it (size) and so most of it had to go)you have recomended the exact combination of interconnects and speaker cable i was loking at so i think i shall buy them , it may be a few months untill the cd player arrives , as im still at school and paying for all this on a saturday job for which i have done numerous over time, but when it does i think that with some good interconnects i will be content for now at least, then maybe i should spend some time investing in my 200 strong cd collection ,thanks again , mark

Post Number: 58
mark,

I think if you posted your likely budget for equipment etc. we could help you make good decisions without breaking the bank.

Post Number: 17
well , im willing to pay up to 300 pounds (and possibly a little bit more) for the cd player , but am willing to wait around for a good deal / buy second hand / xdem, doesnt bother me , i want this to be a system to last for me, therfore waiting a month or two , really doesnt bother me , cheers , mark

Post Number: 59
mark,

So you are sure about the NAD cd player? If so then you can easily beat the £300 you have set as your budget.

Another thing I think you need to consider is some kind of warranty for this item as I personally have some reservations regarding the durability of laser units. I have experianced a few occasions when laser units have let me down. I think you should at least look into it before you buy.

Post Number: 18
hi ,i can get the nad c542 for £298 including a 3 year extensive warranty, this seem like a reasonable price , or can you think of something i could pick up second hand that would beat this, thanks for your help, mark i am looking for a cd player with empahsis on sound quality , im not intrested in programable ,text etc, although these would be nice they are not my priority

Post Number: 60
mark,

I'm pretty sure that's from Richers. Good price and excellent refundable warranty if you don't use it.

Still you have plenty of time to find a lower price which Richers can then beat by £10 for you.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 70
Did you get the info regarding the cable? Is it of any use to you?

Ben_00
Unregistered guest
Can someone give me more information between the NAD 320bee and the Azur 640A.

I can get the 640A for €429
Pictures of the NAD 320bee
=>http://www.videohifi.com/nad_c320_eng.htm

Post Number: 19
hi everyone, just remebered about the forum ( have had to reload the comp and lost the website) however to keep you posted , i have recently brought the nad c542 for £200, and got the van den hul interconnect and the silver anniversery speaker cable , as a result am a bit short of cash untill the end of the month but its been well worth it, thanks for all ur help , mark

The Fonz
Unregistered guest
Hi Guys,
Firstly I'll start by saying that I am a Hi Fi sales person and a hi fi tech. I love the old Kef speakers with a passion. I love them that much that my HT setup consists of 5 x Kef Concertos (1960's) and a REL subby. Electronics are Rotel processor and Rotel power (200w). My Music system is 104ab driven by a 70w Rotel power amp and a sony ES555 SACD player hooked up through audio inovations L2 valve pre. This system will give those of today a run for there money. It is very sweet and relaxing to listen to - which is what you want.

Nad is not pleasant to listen to with Kef. The 320Bee is just bearable. The C370 is one of the best kept secrets of this industry. Its an amp and a half that I would like to try on my system but I think it would lose sweetness.

Cambridge is just like NAD. It gets good reviews though, but, the reviewers dont have to buy it do they?? They will write anything for cash...

Use good cable throughout - the system is only as good as its weekest link. Van Den Hull is very nice and I use it everywhere.

Seriously try an RB02 power amp linked directly to a CD player with variable out... I think you will be seriously amazed.

Silver Member

Post Number: 687
The Fonz,

HT with 5 x Kef concertos. Wonderful!

Personally, I am delighted with my NAD/KEF combination. I have C15/SW2000s for mains (remember those?); a KHT 2005 egg for center; and, at the moment, Corellis for surrounds.

With an NAD T533 playing DVD-Audio through an NAD T760 receiver I get total clarity, huge volumes (you might not think so with low-efficiency speakers and "only" 5 x 60 W) - and immense listening satisfaction.

Change of tack - if you are in the business, do you know where I can get a replacement tweeter coil for a Kef Coda II (from 1982)?

Silver Member

Post Number: 688
BTW, The Fonz,

You say "It is very sweet and relaxing to listen to - which is what you want. "

It is not what I want! I wish to listen, and be able to hear everything that's there. To be involved. If want relaxation I take the dog for a walk.

Is it just possible KEF/NAD is just so darn good you are hearing the high-frequency distortion with SACD, lesser systems filter it out, and the effect is more "Sweetness"?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us