NAD T742: any recommendations?

Username: Ben_j

Post Number: 1
I've been reading posts on this message board for the last several months to help me get an idea for what sort of receiver I should buy. I'm starting a system from scratch and am willing to spend about $1000 for a receiver and some speakers. I figure for now I should just get two stereo speakers with the receiver and hold off on the center and satellite speakers, as this will allow me to buy a nicer set of speakers in the long run.

I'll mainly be using the receiver for music, but of course for movies as well. NAD and H/K have been the two manufacturers I've looked most closely at. I recently went by an authorized NAD dealer here in Boston. They had a NAD T742 floor demo they were willing to sell for $399, which from every price quote I've seen is quite cheap. The guy I talked to recommended a couple of the Monitor Audio Bronze 4's to go with it. I think the price of the receiver with two of the B4s came to around $880 which keeps me well under budget. Any suggestions?

Oh yeah, I'll be using this system in a room about 12' by 20' with a 7' ceiling.

Username: Edison

Post Number: 158
That's pretty good price on good items - both of the product got good reviews from the pros. Have them throw in some cables for a little more and you will be making a much better choice then a typical all in one package from a CC,BB,etc.

Username: John_a

Post Number: 56
Ben,

I think that is a good offer. The T742 may be discounted because the T743 is on the way, but there is not much difference, mostly terminals for a second set of stereo speakers. Your upgrade strategy is good. If you want surround sound in the interim, get a good inexpensive center speaker (I can recommend the KEF KHT 2005 "egg"; you might price the MA Bronze B center) and use anything you have lying around, or a friend might no longer need, for the surrounds. That would take you to about $1000. Leave the sub until later. You will hardly need one with the considerable bass extension of the MA B 4s (down to 36 Hz).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us