Athena AS-B2 or Ascend CBM-170?

Username: Bttb

Post Number: 2
I can get new Athena AS-B2 pair at $146 shipped. And a new pair of Ascend CBM-170 for about $370 shipping and tax included. There's more than 200 dollars difference between them. I have been researching for speakers quite a long time, and I heard that Ascends are really good for music (which I really look for). However, I also saw many people calling that Athena AS-B2 are also really good for the money.

Is there quite a difference between Athena and Ascends? I would like to save money, but if there's a huge difference between them, I would spend $200 more.

My apartment is quite small and I would like to use the system for 80% music and 20% movie.

For receiver, I could get Onkyo 601 and Panasonic XR50 at the same price. Which one is good for either speaker?

Thanks in advance!

Username: Sinkdrain

Post Number: 6
Have you had the chance to listen to either of the speakers yet? I recently purchased two AS B2s for my fronts. I like them so much Im going to purchase 2 more for the rear speakers. After days of listening and comparing various speakers the Atheans became a favorite because their tone was clear and natural. I was easily able to pick out individual instruments. Drums are especially crisp on the Athenas. The bass is not boomy or muddy...its clear enough to transcribe any bass line. Athena As B2s are a steal at $145.

Post Number: 3
I had listened to Athena AS-B1 speakers, comparing to AS-F2. I thought that AS-F2 is much better but I can't fit that big boys to my small apartment. So, I decided to get AS-B2. I acutally didn't listen to it, but expected to sound better than AS-B1 and even better when I listen to it at home since the Best Buy isn't the best place to audition the speakers.

Thanks for you comments, and would you give me another advice about the receivers? I'm choosing between Onkyo SR601 and Panasonic XR50. As long as it's under $300, I'm open to other suggestions. Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Rh1

Post Number: 118
Paul...You might consider looking at onecall.com or ecost.com, those are two websites I regularly see great deals on

I demo'd an Onkyo Sr601 a few months ago along with a Pioneer 914k, for my taste I thought the Pioneer sounded much clearer and detailed. I also liked the lay out of the Pioneer better. I ended up buying neither as I found a great deal on an upgraded Kenwood Sovereign VR570. Had I not bought the Kenwood, I would have gone with the Pioneer. I was actually thoroughly dissapointed in the Onkyo as it sounded flat and the amp seemed weak.

Silver Member

Post Number: 119
Also, I would also look into the new Wharfedale diamond 9.1's which were reviewed in the October issue of What Hi-Fi Magazine. They gave a stellar review of these speakers and if they sound better than the 8.1's I have you would be in for a real treat :-)

I think they will be available for purchase in a month or so

Post Number: 5
I got a Harman Kardon AVR 230 receiver from eBay at great price, I think. So, now I need to choose speakers. There are a lot of good speakers (as I heard of) under $400.

There are Ascends CBM-170, Athena AS-B2, Axiom M3Ti, Rockets 150, Energy C-3, Swan Diva 2.1, Monitor Audio Bronze B2, Klipsch, Wharfedale, B&W, and so on. I can't possibly audition them all. Can anyone just pick the best one for me! What I look for is a rather music quality than a movie quality. From what I listed, I like the look of Energy C-3 the best and read some good reviews about their great stereo music quality. I heard that I could get them at $300 if they are on sale. I think that will be really great...

In fact, I brought Athena AS-B2 from Best Buy to audition at home. I would admit that the setting is not perfect and the speakers didn't break in yet. Also, I don't have speaker stand yet and used Onkyo SR502. But, I should say that I was not impressed. Probably, my expectation was too high, but I would like to pay more money so I can get the sound that I can be really satisfied with the sound.

Silver Member

Post Number: 123
Out of the above I think you would be well suited with the MA Bronze as I have heard these tend to sound closer to the bright side while the HK receiver sounds closer to warm. This would be a good combo, I have not heard the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1's as they do not hit stores for another month but I have the 8.2's and they would also match up but with a slightly warmer sound than the MA's. That is all I can comment on

Silver Member

Post Number: 124
Oh and Klipsch would work as well as they are probably the brightest out of the list that I am aware of

Anonymous

you should try the axiom m3

Bronze Member
Username: Maximo

Post Number: 20
I have athena asf-2's and as-1's paired with a hk avr525 receiver. I really enjoy the sound of the athena's. Whatever speakers you chose, listening to them yourself will help more than anything. When you finally decide on your speakers, pairing them with a well matched receiver is important. I think the athena speakers can be on the bright side if not put with a warm sounding reciever such as a HK.

Bronze Member
Username: Nm2285

Delaware

Post Number: 28
Look into NHT. Their SB2s are fantastic. The only bookshelf speaker I would prefer in the $500 range would be the Energy C-3.

Post Number: 10
Thanks guys for advices. I was able to get the most wanted speaker on my list around $300. Nm2285, you know what? I bought a pair of Energy C-3 and love it. :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us