Bass with NADT760

Username: Flagerr

Post Number: 1
I just bought NAD T760 (330 USD), in Stereo mode, I feel lack of bass with my Kenwood LSK-787 (woofer 12") speaker. Is is this receiver charasteristic that I don't get excellent and deep bass, or should I change my speaker or buy a sub ?

BTW, a question to you guys in USA, I got offer speaker called "Jordan", they say it's the same group from AUdax, any comment on this speaker ? Seems pretty cheap :D

thanks for any inputs.

Username: John_a

Post Number: 53
Halim.

It is not the receiver. I am sure of that.

Post Number: 2
Hi John, I've done a lot of reading everywhere before I decided to buy this receiver, and I know you're one that makes me search this receiver like crazy, since NAD is realy realy not popular here in my country :D

BTW, may I know what you connect with your T760 ? thanks a lot! :-)

Post Number: 55
Halim,

I think you got a bargain. The T760 is an excellent receiver, lots of power, wonderful high-quality sound. It lacks some features and bass management compared with the T752, which replaced it. I also think EARS (which it has) is at least as good as Prologic 2 (which it doesn't).

I wrote down my whole system in my user profile - click on the name. I am thinking of replacing my NAD T532 DVD-player with the T533, purely to get true DVD-A. I am undecided, and have written lots about DVD-A on other threads.

Sorry, I know nothing of Jordan speakers.

Post Number: 3
John, I need your opinion. Should I, change my Kenwood Speaker to a better speaker, or I just bought Subwoofer, and adjust the main to small so the all the low freq goes to the sub ?

Is Sub works if I only use stereo mode ?

thanks for any help :-)

Post Number: 60
Halim,

I cannot find the speakers you mentioned using Google.

If they are "Bookshelf" speakers then that will be a simple explanation for lack of bass. And yes, you could do something about that by getting a subwoofer. With the T760 you would probably then wish to connect the subwoofer at speaker level (receiver main speakers out -> subwoofer speaker terminals in -> subwoofer speaker terminals out -> main speakers) because that model of receiver will not give a line-level output in stereo, only in 5.1 (the sub is the ".1"). That not a problem in my opinion, but some will disagree. For surround sound, you then choose speaker settings 2 "front speakers large, subwoofer off". That setting redirects the low frequencies to the front speakers, and the sub intercepts them and does a good job - that is more of a purist, audiophile way of using a sub than connecting it to the sub line level out.

I personally use speaker setting 1 ("all large plus sub"), and do not use the sub for stereo (most of the time). But I have largish main speakers. In my opinion -3 dB at 40 Hz is quite acceptable for main speakers on their own for stereo. You get a bit more very low bass in stereo if you connect as I recommended above, but it is marginal. For home theatre, however, you probably want the special effects and the sub out connection is OK. You can also then choose "3. All small with sub off" and that will work fine with small main speakers but you will not get good bass extension in stereo. If you have large main speakers and line out to the sub, then 3 is also a good setting.

Hope that is clear!

Post Number: 61
Halim,

I cannot find the speakers you mentioned using Google.

If they are "Bookshelf" speakers then that will be a simple explanation for lack of bass. And yes, you could do something about that by getting a subwoofer. With the T760 you would to connect the subwoofer at speaker level (receiver -> subwoofer speaker terminals in -> subwoofer speaker terminals out -> main speakers) because that model of receiver will not give a line-level output in stereo, only in 5.1 (the sub is the ".1". That not a problem in my opinion, but some will disagree. For surround sound, you then choose speaker settings 2 "front speakers large, subwoofer off". That setting redirects the low frequencies to the front speakers, and the sub intercepts them and does a good job - that is more of an audiophile way of using a sub than connecting it to the sub line level out.

I personally use speaker setting 1 ("all large plus sub"), and do not use the sub for stereo (most of the time). But I have largish main speakers. In my opinion -3 dB at 40 Hz is quite acceptable for main speakers on their own for stereo. You get a bit more very low bass in stereo if you connect as I recommended, but it is marginal. For home theatre, you probably want the special effects and the sub out connection is OK. You can also then choose "3. All small with sub off" and that will work fine with small main speakers but you will not get good bass extension in stereo. If you have large main speakers and line out to the sub, then that is also a good setting.

Hope that is clear!

Post Number: 5
Thanks a lot for the information John, that's realy precious info for me :-)

This Kenwood Speakers is not bookshelf, it's a floor standing with 12" woofer (3 way). I also cannot find it on google, I think maybe it's "asian limited edition" by Kenwood :D

Any tips for choosing sub other than the RMS watt, would be really great for me. ;)

Post Number: 6
One more question that I forgot, Is it mean that I cannot buy active sub, because I see the sub out and the main speakers out has different connector ?

Post Number: 62
Halim,

Look at the frequency response of your speakers. "Bookshelf" speakers often have lower limit around 65 Hz. "Small" Ht speakers can be 80 Hz. It sounds like your speakers are "large", so that is not the problem with lack of bass.

Most active subs today allow you to connect either way: sub out, or through main speaker terminals. Your T760 will work both ways. The thing to do is try it. But if you feel you lack bass now, it is almost impossible for this to be a problem with the receiver, and so I do not understand what the problem is.

Subs are a whole subject on their own. There is a forum on them here. I like the one I have, and it was not so expensive.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us