Bose 901's sound squelchy now

Username: Mudgy

Post Number: 1
I gather that there are not may fans of Bose speakers in these forums, however, I have had these speakers for 20 years and they have been fine until recently. I have a set of small B&W speakers that work fine on either A or B speakers settings, so it's not the amp. The system I have isn't very high tech - all Pioneer stuff from about 5 years ago - but it did used to sound very good. Now I have a squelchy kind of distortion in the midrange/bass that is kind of alarming. It is in both speakers - so I don't know what the problem could be, since they were fine until I reconnected my stereo after we moved.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1478
did you check the physical status of the speaker cones? The surrounds may have deteriorated and torn.

Username: Mudgy

Post Number: 2
Thanks Berny - I kind of gathered that may be the problem after poking around the internet last night. I have very little bass coming out as well, so I think that may be the problem. It struck me as "something else" when they both went - which made me think it was a bad wire/connection somewhere.

I have found a few companies that offer refoaming kits in the US (I'm in Toronto, Canada), so I think I'll have to try that.

The only thing is, I've never taken them apart, and they don't appear to have any visible screws or clips. I couln't find anything on the net for "dismantling a 901 speaker" or similar.

Do you have any idea how to do this? I'm willing to give the refoaming a try - I just don't want to use the brute force and ignorance method of getting into the cabinet to find that I've done more damage.

Thanks again.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
If both channels went out at the same time the most logical place to start looking is something common to both channels, like maybe, the equalizer?
At 20 years of age you could have bad surrounds on a few speakers but you might also have a few bad capacitors in the EQ. If the caps are bad they can take other components in the EQ along with them.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us