Are Axiom speakers worth it?

Bronze Member
Username: Falp

Post Number: 88
Are they worth it?

If you can compare them , do they match for ex Monitor Audio Bronze series or Silver series?
B&W 600 series?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1467
Yes, I've auditioned the 604 against the Axiom M60. The Axiom edged out B&W with clarity and better staging IMO. Your preferrences may be different.

Bronze Member
Username: Bleustar

Pensacola, Florida

Post Number: 62
Axiom have a reputation for creative design and good value for the money among speaker companies. Like any other speaker, you need to hear to compare.

Bronze Member
Username: Danman

Post Number: 78
I have compared them seriously with JMLab Chorus and they (AXIOM) were my choice by a mile!

nirradus
Unregistered guest
I compared the Axiom M60ti's next to a pair of monitor audio bronze floorstanders. I thought the Axiom's sounded better. But really, I don't think either was that great of a speaker. Not bad, certainly, But just average. I think, IMHO, there's a lot of talk out there about the Axiom's, but in reality, they are worth the price, not more, not double, not triple.

Also, keep in mind, that if you audition the Axiom's and don't want them, YOU have to pay return shipping. I paid $82 bucks to ship mine back from CA to NY.

I ended up with a pair of monitors because I prefer a high quality mid and high and willing to sacrifice in the low area. Got the dynaudio 52 bookshelves (paid $880). Also auditioned the Paradigm 20's and 40's, which I liked a lot. Have heard very good things about the Quad 12L, but haven't listened to them yet.

You might want to consider using your budget for a better quality pair of bookshelves. Oh, I listened to the B&W 603 floorstanders and didn't like them at all. The sound was muffled together, not clear. No separation.

Hope that helps.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1589
Well, that's great! But you forget that Falp is trying to compare Axiom, Monitor Audio and B&W.

While it is nice that you prefer the dynaudio 52 (that you paid $880), it just was not in the equation, was it? Nor were the Paradigms.

Bronze Member
Username: Stone

West CoastUSA

Post Number: 97
I have never listened them, but I have heard they are very bright and need a warm amp or they can be fatiguing. Is that an accurate statement?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1594
Stone, to what speakers were you referring?

Bright is a relative thing, have you actually heard bright speakers or have auditioned enough speakers to make a determination of brightness or mellowness?

They key is to actually listen and judge for yourself.

Axioms can be a bit on the bright side but not overly fatiguing nor shrill and harsh. Monitor Audio skirts the middle ground and pleasant sounding and I just did not like the B&W. Who knows, you may like them. After all, these companies have been around, so they are serving a niche and people are buying. That says something, doesn't it?

Go out, listen and pick what you like, you will be the one living with the sound and the one enjoying the selection.
cheers

Bronze Member

West CoastUSA

Post Number: 98
Berny I was talking about the axioms. Thanks for the info. I am not in the market for new speakers, just curious on the axioms. Very happy with my Ohm Acoustic Micro Talls.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1599
Nice speakers, Stone! Are your Ohms new??
I haven't heard those in ages.

Bronze Member

West CoastUSA

Post Number: 99
I have had the Ohms for about 7 months now. Great for music, but I ended up getting a full HT set up with the Ohm center channel and rear speakers. They are not full blown pant flappers when it comes to bass, but I am taken back on how loud they can go without even a hint of strain. They will be keepers for a while.

Username: Riches1

Atlanta, GA US

Post Number: 8
I have just purchased the Axiom m22ti bookshelf, VPC150 Center,QS4 surrounds and the Epic 175 sub. I am powering them with a Denon 2805 reciever.

I have owned the following in the last 2 years: Cambridge Audioworks Towers (great speakers) Energy Take 5 satellite system (still a best buy -gave it to my son for his apartment) Klipsch SB25 (very dynamic, the sound was better than most) Paradigm Mini Monitors (Nice smooth sound) Polk Audio RTi8's (good for home theater, not great for music, a little bit "muddy" in the bass).

The Axioms are keepers. They are not bright - they are clean and transparent. They are well balanced, have wonderful mids and vocals, and nice, tight bass. They know their limits on the bass, producing well defined, though not prodigious bass, down to about 60Hz. They don't try to pretend to bigger than they are by tipping up the lower bass, and consequently producing a fat, bloated bass sound like so many bookshelf speakers do. Use them with a good subwoofer crossover at 80Hz, and and they are absolutely killer. They compare well to speakers costing 2x to 3x their price and even beyond. Don't just take my word for it, read the reviews. I love these things.

Are they worth the money? Yes and then some. They are an absolute steal for the money.

We will see how they hold up in the long run - if a component doesn't hold my affection, it is sold off. Just look at the list above. Right now, the axioms have made the best first impression of any speakers I have ever owned.

(BTW, re: Ohms - I still have a 25 year old pair of Ohm L's. I had the woofers refoamed and they still rock - in my youngest son's bedroom)

Marc C
Unregistered guest
Guys,

While on the subject, does anyone know a good speaker I can crank the living sh*t out of? I like imaging, soundstage, etc., and will have a decent pair of monitors. But I am a rocker at heart, and would like to know a good speaker, a full-ranger, that just cranks. Mind you, I don't want it to sound like crap, but can really rock. Appreciate all suggestions.

Marc

Bronze Member
Username: Riches1

Atlanta, GA US

Post Number: 11
Marc:

A lot of professional rockers (Lou Reed, Blues Traveler.etc) own Klipsch. Some people don't like horn tweeters, but that's what the stage is full of at rock concerts. Why? Because they crank out the sound. I had a pair of Klipsch SB25's bookshelf speakers and they could rock.

My son-in-law has Klipsch towers and listens to a lot of Van Halen. His Klipsch, like most others, only need a little juice to play loud, so a lot of juice makes them insanely loud, yet they still remain clean and accurate.

For what you want, I would put Klipsch high on your list.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1612
I agree with Riches, check out the Klipsch RF series. Nice, crisp, accurate and LOUD! The high sensitivity doesn't heart neither.
cheers

Gold Member

Post Number: 1613
oops, make that "hurt"

Marc C
Unregistered guest
Berny and Riches1,

Thanx much. Am a bit weary of horns (bright?), but i'll be running something warm through them (Luxman or a Marantz), so it should balance ok.

Again - thanx for the input.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us