Using a Denon 1905 Pre-out for Power Amp??

Username: Dommerdog

Post Number: 1
I have been using a pre-amp/ power amp setup for the last 10 years. The Amp is a B&K ST140 with a matching pre-amp and JPW AP3 speakers with upgraded x-over. I am finishing my new shound room, and for the first time, I will integrate Home Theatre with my music room (blame it on the kids!)

I do not wish to part with my current power amp setup, the B&K is so smooth and warm with music (very "tube-like" sound). I was thinking of using a hone theater receiver with pre-outs to keep my power amp. I am concerned of the following:
- The sound dynamics of the Denon's other channels will not match the B&K in 5.1/surround modes
- Will the Denon do a good job as a pre-amp??

I can get a good deal on the Denon 1905 (USD$300).

Opinions?

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 654
"The sound dynamics of the Denon's other channels will not match the B&K in 5.1/surround modes?"

No they wont. The smaller Denons have a bright and thin sound which is nowhere near tube-like. A better choice would be the new Marantz SR4500/5500 which have a very pleasing and warm sound (assuming they sound the same as the models before) and sufficent power even all channels driven.

Username: Dommerdog

Post Number: 2
What about a used Marantz 6200? I got a line on one for a good price.

If the sound is good and not cheap sounding, I may turf my power amp.

Unregistered guest
I would like to use a setup with a power amp rotel rb 1070 and a pre-amp like denon 1905 or marantz5500.
Which is the better choice and why

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 678
Well, I still think that the sound of Marantz and Rotel are a lot closer than Denon and Rotel. Denon is bright, while Rotel and Marantz are more polite and warm. Marantz is also more powerfull so it would be a better choice.

The SR6200 has a weak power supply so if you go for Marantz I suggest you look for atleast SRx300.

Unregistered guest
What is your opinion about acoustic energy evo3?
Do you think that they can match with marantz sr4500/5500 (as a pre-amp) better than denon 1905

Anonymous

Ive owned 7200 and 7400 and i liked the slightly warm, yet detailed, sound on the x200 better. The difference between 7200 and 7400 is pretty big because of a new "sound" in the 7400, and yes ive compared them a-b at the same time and i have tried amping both the 7200 and the 7400. the 7400 sounds more "in the face" and have a bit smaller soundstage and less 3D performance... I sold the 7400 pretty fast after i had switched it for a new one (i tought it was broken as it sounded so "harsh" compared to 7200) and found out that the new one sounded exactly the same... im currently waiting for the sr8500 and will use it as a preamp with a lot of amping if its needed... ill pray for that the sound is more warm and, the soundstage better than the last time tough!

Go for a x200 or x300 serie if you plan to use it as a pre-amp, or try the x500 models out (i am going to listen to the 4500 in a day or two) if you feel that you are in use of the new DAC's and the new features...

- megalomaniac -
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us