Denon analog vs Pioneer I.Link

Username: Zep

Post Number: 1
I am putting a new system together and need some input.
I have selected the Denon 3803 AVR and 2900 multiplayer. However, the only way to get hi-res audio out of the player is via the analog outputs.
I came across the Pioneer VSX-55TXi AVR and DV-47Ai multiplayer, which support digital audio output via the I.Link interface. However, I have a suspicion that the Denon devices I selected, specially the AVR, are superior that the Pioneer devices. I could not find any reviews that compare the AVRs head to head. My question: Is the I.Link capable Pioneer truly worth it? I am attempted to go with Pioneer because of the I.Link interfaces, but I am not sure if the trade offs will be worth it. It seems that there are several limitations still (copyrights, compatibility, etc.) to be worth the risk and the Denon looks so much better. I plan in using Monitor Audio B4 speakers with this system.
Any opinions?

Username: Tilt

Post Number: 1
Since the industry has not agreed on a digital standard yet (DVI with HDCP or I.Link with DTCP) I'd stay away from the Pioneer. Furthermore, the Pioneer I.Link supports audio only. Has pointed out in a review "DV-47Ai has dual i.Link (a.k.a. IEEE 1394 or FireWire) digital audio outputs, which carry DVD-Audio, SACD, Dolby Digital, and DTS bitstreams. In all other players currently on the market, Dolby Digital and DTS bitstreams are passed from coax or optical digital outputs, and in most DVD-A and SACD players, the only available high-resolution outputs are analog. One of the i.Link connectors is intended to be used with the VSX-49TXi receiver, while the second i.Link output can be used to send the audio signal directly into another device with a 4-pin 1394 input, like a D-VHS VCR or integrated HTDV set. However, as Pioneer is quick to point out, "there is a copy protection scheme in place that will not allow you to send any digital audio signals via i.Link to a recording device to make a digital copy." "
I think is too soon to bet on a digital transport yet.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us