Headphone amp for boombox?

Kira
Unregistered guest
Could you recommend a way to connect my JBL bookcase speakers to my Delphi XM radio boombox? I tried splicing a headphone plug to my speaker wires, and of course, the sound was terrible. Do I need an amp? If so, what kind?

Kira
Unregistered guest
Just a quick addition: I'm a newbie (obviously), and I'm not looking to spend an extravagent amount of money on an amp. Just something simple that will give my XM system at home a bit higher quality sound than the crappy speakers on the unit. Any help is much appreciated!

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 600
Aren't your JBL bookcase speakers connected to a receiver? If they are, just connect the Delphi to the auxiliary inputs on the back of the receiver.

If you just have the JBL's sitting around connected to nothing, you should either buy an inexpensive receiver (which is an amp, pre-amp, and tuner in one casing), or an integrated amp (which is the same as a receiver, but without the tuner).

Buying a separate amp will not give you the controls necessary to operate your speakers well. Also an integrated amp or receiver gives you far more flexibility for the future and other components you may want to attach, such as cd players.

You might try going to Audiogon.com to buy used equipment. You should be able to find inexpensive used integrated stereo amps or stereo receivers, particularly since these days most people are buying AV receivers for surround sound and not stereo equipment.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us