Fronts: Floor or book shelf?

Anonymous

I really want my music to sound excellent but do not want to sacrifice too much in the movie department. My budget is small so I must buy pieces at a time. I'm looking at Athena AS-B2 or possibly the slightly more expensive Axiom M3ti (a little bit of a stretch finacially).

Now I wonder...should I be looking at floor speakers instead? Whats the difference? I'm new at this and almost bought Bose :-)

Silver Member
Username: Edison

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 542
Axiom m3ti would be better - Athena won the best under $200 speaker, and the 3ti won the best $300 category.

This place has good price on the axiom.

http://www.vertigoonline.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=AMB S667

If you don't want to spend a lot, I would recommend book-shelf instead of floor models.
You will get better quality for the buck.

You might want to consider getting them used at www.ebay.com on gears like NAD amps and Shanling 100 CD player.

JBL L100 or century model is a good one to hunt down on ebay - they will sound better than the modern ones you were looking at.

Just make sure you are getting a good quality item on ebay - contact the seller and talk to him to make sure.

If you are lucky and careful, you can get good deal on ebay.

Also www.audiogon.com has used gears but are more high end. More reliable though.

Good luck - you can end up with pretty good sounds if you get info and shop smart.

If you want to save even more, consider getting this mini system - looks classy and sounds pretty good.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4787&item=5717052609&rd=1 &ssPageName=WDVW

I like mine - get a oneac power conditioner on ebay to make it sound best.

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 572
Under $1000 you should always buy bookshelf speakers because they will offer you more soundquality than simillary priced floorstanders.

Bronze Member
Username: Falp

Post Number: 73
I agree with Landroval...

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1417
third.

If your not going to spend much then your really
going to sacrifice quality buying a floorstander.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 633
Not always guys. Case in point is the Paradigm Monitor 7. Great bargain at it's price point and goes well in lively rooms that need a mellower speaker. I agree generally with your point but it is not an absolute. I use bookshelves because of my room acoustics; wood floors etc but if I had a bit larger room with carpet I would have floorstanders, probably would have bought the Monitor Audio Silver 6 instead of the Silver 2. There is just to many variables to make such a blanket statement.

Silver Member
Username: Rh1

Post Number: 103
well if he almost bought bose I would be intereted to know how much the budget is when being described as small. Bose aren't cheap (price). I would imagine that some pretty darn good floorstanders could fit in a Bose price
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us