Total newbie here...Please help

Username: Bonovox

Post Number: 1
Guys I am thinking of building a Home theater.
Most of my music is digital on my computer which is stereo.

My budget is around $1000 for AV receiver and speakers. At this moment I am not worried about DVD player and I already have a TV.

Question: The sound output is stereo from my computer so if I connect it to the receiver, will it be automatically converted into surround (6.1 or 7.1)

What do you recommend in my price range?
I prefer 7.1 but am willing to compromise to 5.1 provided I get a good quality.

Any help wil be greatly appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Edison

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 545
I would stick with stereo - do we really need 6 speakers for movies?

Getting good 2 speakers will be better at your price point.

You can get these if you don't mind used, and get a hint of smooth upscale sound.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatran&1099094187

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrmoni&1099106059

I would get the sub with the Spicas.

Or for a little more, this one is nice too.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrmoni&1099092670

This way, you will end up with a cut or two above what you had in mind.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1272
The sound output from the computer will not be automatically converted into any surround format. You have to do it manually via receiver, even then it will not be in a true surround format, all it will do is matrix the stereo channels and distribute it to the surrounding speakers.
Check out the offerings from HK.

Silver Member
Username: Arnold_layne

MadridSpain

Post Number: 124
As James and Bernie point out: if you part from a stereo signal, receiver's DSP chip will manipulate it quite arbitrarely to obtain multi-channel. For me, at the best it creates some ambience. But for each CD, one surround algorithm is better than the others. So you go crazy trying to remeber which receiver setting for which disc.

So if you plan to go for real multi-channel in the future, the best solution is a multi-channel source: DVD player or a more advanced sound card with digital output.

I have a 6.1 compatible system. IMO it makes a noticable difference for movies in Dolby EX or DTS ES. I.e. perceived as better than 5.1.

7.1 splits the rear channel into two. It doesnt add any new channel, both rear speakers sounds the same. But with two rear speakers you have more possibilities for adjustments, creating the "perfect" sound stage.

Cheers
AL

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1392
yes if your going surround you need to get away from the pc and buy a dvd player/reciever/speakers.

and unfortunatly for $1000 you won't get much.

you might be able to get a dvd player/reciever and
2 speakers then by the rest of the speakers as you can.

probably the best dvd player deal will be the pioneer 563a universal player
for about $125 then a reciever for about $350-400
that leaves you $500 for a pair of speakers.

the better recievers to look for in that price range would be
pioneer elite,marantz or h/k

Bronze Member
Username: Rh1

Post Number: 92
Vin...I purchased a Kenwood Sovereign VR570 a/v receiver for $480 on ecost.com, in addition I purchased Wharfedale Diamond series center channel, 8.3 front, and 8.2 surrounds for $550 new on Ebay. Puts you right in the $1000 budget. If you prefer you could go with Onkyo Sr601 (I believe) or a few other receivers for this price. I auditioned the Onkyo in my home with these speakers and also a Pioneer 814k, but I found that the Kenwood's sound was more appealing to me.

The Kenwood also comes with a THX Ultra certification and is "all channels driven" on it's power rating. I am quite satisfied with my purchase.

If you check out this months What Hi-Fi magazine, they give the Wharfedale's a 5 star rating and also a bestbuy. Check out this months Sound and Vision Magazine, they have 3 budget systems that would be well within your price range and would work well as starter kits. Good Luck!

Bronze Member
Username: Rh1

Post Number: 98
vin...do you get Wharfedale speakers there? They are a British company so I would imagine that they would be available to you.

I have the Wharfedale Diamond series fronts, center, and surrounds. They sound great especially considering you could pick up the whole package for 199 British pounds from
www.hyperfi.co.uk

For that price you would have a large sum of money left over for a receiver or other things. I don't know if delivery is possible to you but it's worth checking out

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us