Marantz 7400 or Denon 2805

Bronze Member
Username: Falp

Post Number: 66
Which one do you think is best?

I heard only the 3805 (via DVD2900) and liked it.

I heard the 7400 (via DV6400) and liked as much, and was amazed by a CD7300 player as source.

Liked the sr5400 almost as much.

And 7400 vs 2805? Should I wait to compare 2805 vs 7500?

Opinions?

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 555
What speakers do you have and are you going to use it for movies/music/both?

Bronze Member
Username: Wabkab

Post Number: 20
See Choosing a Receiver for movies thread, below.
Mainly, the differences are in features as the Denon has arguably equal power and better processing. The Denon has Auto EQ/Set-up functions which work well. I don't know if the Marantz has assignable surround speakers for zone1 or 2. Not apples to apples, but as a pre-pro, way better functioning and sounding than my SR-7200(which I really liked). If you are in no rush, you could wait and see/listen as Marantz has been known to hit a home run once in a while. I'm sure next years models will add features to compete with Denon/Yam with regards to the convenience/ home theater side. Oh, one thing I will say, the Denon remote is fair and not as good as the one I had with the 7200. I use a Theater Master, 500 anyway. Lastly, Marantz has had some QC issues of late and I had a Marantz- MM9000 5 channel amp, lost a channel, had it in Factory authorized repair for 4 months,only to be told, it can't be/ not worht fixing--just out of warranty. Not very satisfying to chunk a 50# weight in the garbage in a little over 2 years.
Ps-when I got it back, no channels worked?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 67
Speakers options so far:

MA Silvers (heard and loved ir with SR5400) but i have no room for Silver speakers centre size.

Canton Karat M or S line.
Heard them and loved it with the Sr7400.

Heard the 3805 with others speakers that i wasn't interested but liked it.

I'm not in a hurry.

The sr7400 was the best in it's class before the 2805 was relesed, and the 7500 is coming in september...

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 558
If I'm correct the MA's are a little forward and bright so I would say a Marantz is definitely a better choice than a Denon. Before you buy anything you should listen to both with _your_ speakers to know for sure which sounds better. The SR7500 sure looks interesting.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 69
Marantz + MA Silver or Canton Karats make a match made in heaven.

Marantz sweetness plus musical metal tweeters.
Even sweeter with Canton maybe.

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1366
landroval and falps got that one right.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us