HK 525 and Dolby Digital

Anonymous

I have HK 525 and a Sony DVD player with Digital Out.

I connect digital out of the DVD player to HK525 but when I play a movie with 6 channel AC3 I can *not* select Dolby Digital on HK 525 for some reason. Acctually I can never chose Dolby Digital on HK I've tried the remote and fron pannel. It just skips through Dolby Digital. Can someone help me and explain what the deal is here?

Thanks.

Username: Geekboy

Post Number: 32
Hmmm, the deal could be your DVD setting and/or your setting on your H/K. (For reference, I have an H/K 525 myself.)

On your DVD player, make sure that on the main settings menu, the player is set to BITSTREAM... if it's an older Toshiba model, make sure the switch next to the digital outs is set to BITSTREAM (not PCM).

On your H/K 525... make sure the input source for your video is set to the OPTICAL input which you connected your DVD player to.

For example, if you connected your DVD player to DVD (on the H/K) and the Optical cable from yoru DVD player to OPTICAL Input 1... then when you select DVD, the On Screen Display (OSD) should show "DVD / OPT 1". If it doesn't read that way, hit the "AVR" then the "OSD" button and select "In/Out Settings". Change the Digital input to "OPT 1".

If you're using the COAXIAL cable instead of an OPTICAL cable, then substitute "COAX 1" for "OPT 1" everywhere I stated above!

The reason it won't let you chose Dolby Digital or DTS is that it doesn't "read" a Dolby Digital or DTS encoded bitstream on the digital interface (optical or coax). (DTS Neo and 7.1 Logic are matrixed DSP modes and are not true DTS/DD bitstreams, so the system would let you chose those.)

Good Luck!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us