Questions about Optical/Toslink and DVD-AUDIO

Chris Pan
Unregistered guest
Hi all! First, does the coaxial digital and toslink optical digital output on DVD trasfer all audio channels available on the DVD (most likely 5.1) I thought so, but i triead a search and nothing really answered this question.

Also, if it can, why can't it be implemented into SACD/DVD-AUDIO? I know seperate analog wires are better for each channel, but i don't see why it wouldn't work with optical. It wouldn't be as nice as seperate analog channels, but it would rival CD stereo still.

Username: Andrew1165

Post Number: 4
Yes, both coaxial and toslink pass all audio channels that your DVD can recognize (most DVD players will do 5.1, many will handle correctly many more formats).

Please notice strategic usage of word "that your DVD can recognize". If it cannot handle SAVD/DVD-AUDIO etc., it cannot (like I cannot read a book in French or German: though I see it's made out of letters, I have no idea what those letters mean. The same story with audio formats).

Multi-channel inputs are not always better than digital; most likely direct bypass will deliver the most transparent signal (i.e. DVD player delivers audio in digital form -- i.e. exactly as it's written on CD/DVD surface -- right to your receiver, and receiver sends this digital PCM signal directly to DAC [digital-analog converter], preferably without any DSP processing). When you use multi-channel analog inputs you'll do the same (digital->DAC) but on top of that you'll add imperfections of your receiver analog input track, noise gathered in [likely unbalanced] analog connection [should be negligible but may be quite nasty e.g. if you got ground loop], etc.

Hopefully I understood your questions correctly and answered what you asked :-)...

Thank you,

Andrew

Username: John_a

Post Number: 43
There is a story that TOSlink and Digital co-ax do not allow fast enough data transfer - do not have the bandwidth - for full-blown DVD-A. I am sceptical about this. For example, for mutichannel the DVD-A spec is the same as DTS - up to 96 kHz; 24 bit. And DTS is no problem for conventional connectors. the bandwidth could easily be solved with Firewire connection. I can't see why Firewire is not already the standard. Also, the limits of optical are GHz, not kHz, I thought.

Chris, Andrew:- you might be interested in the thread What does"DVD-audio" mean here?

Username: John_a

Post Number: 49
Chris asks "Why can't it..." (digital transfer) "...be implemented into SACD/DVD-AUDIO?"

I believe there is no technical reason, and that the bandwidth argument is nonsense, another audio industry deceit.

From the data sheet for the T533, NAD's first DVD-A player:

"Unlike all other digital formats, DVD-A can only be output as an analogue signal, due to Digital Rights Management agreements required by the format".

NAD, at least, does not BS the customer.

Will post this on one another thread.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us