Upgrading Reciever, looking for unbiased advice!

Username: Davew

Post Number: 1
There's a lot of good advice around here, so maybe I can get some!

My System:
Sony STR-DE945 Receivers
Polk RM 7600 Speakers
Sony DVP-NS715P DVD Player
Sony 32" Wega HD TV

I would like to upgrade to Pro Logic II, minimize my hookups with Composite and S-Video to Component conversion and generally increase the sound quality.

I looked at the Sony STR DA3000ES (as I have always owned Sony and never had cause to complain), but then heard a lot of negative feedback with low volume and noise levels. I heard that the new Direct Drive amps are impressive however. Also, my existing Sony has a non-assignable digital coax input fixed to the DVD, which is very annoying, and I do not know if this would continue to be a problem with the ES model (my digital cable only supports coax, so the Cable gets hooked to the DVD input)

Then I looked at the Onkyo TX NR 901 as the Net Tune feature intrigued me. But then I heard negative reviews about Net Tune. Although the more I read the more it seemed that the Onkyo was a better basic receiver than the Sony. It just seems that $1,500 is a little spendy for Component Video Conversion, especially with the availability of the -801 for $1,000 with basically everything the -901 has except conversion.

Other things that I would look for is
- the ability to tweak the setup (especially delay settings as this drives me nuts on DVDs)
- a receiver that is not quickly going to become outdated (features most if not all of the current surround sound decoding options).

So I am open to your advice, and would appreciate it if you could open my eyes to some receivers I might otherwise not consider.

Budget is $1,000-$1,500.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Username: Mababs

Post Number: 4
I just received my Onkyo 801 and set it up yesterday. Haven't gotten to try too much yet, but I listened to a few scenes in The Fellowship of the Ring and it was pretty amazing even with 10 year old DBX speakers (speaker level input sub feeding fronts), Pioneer surrounds and the Mitsubishi TV speakers as a center. I have Axioms and an HSU STF-2 on order, but the receiver made this setup sound damn good!

I'm not the best to compare it to others because I'm not an audiophile, but the 800/801 got good reviews, has a nice feature set, seems like plenty of power (it was getting too loud for comfort at volume level 60-65 in an 17x20x10 room). On top of that, J&R had it for 799 with no tax and free shipping.

I'll post more after I play more.

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the tip MABabs- are you using the Net Tune features - and if so how is that going? If I had to make my choice today, the -801 would probably be it.

The more I look it seems that at the price point I am looking at brands I have never considered pop up (Marantz, NAD, etc). I know nothing about these brands so any tips on that would be helpful.

Username: Mababs

Post Number: 6
I wasn't planning on trying the Net Tune right away, but I'll read about it tonight and see what it entails. I'm disabled, so I have to talk my wife thru hook ups. However, I'm off from work this week so I may have time.

I went to hear the Marantz 7400. It was nice (took my FOTR disc and some music), but I didn't like what I heard about it getting too hot. It also had a very nice remote. You could probably get a good price on the 7300, which Hawk (Mr NAD) has said was a very good model.

Like I said, I'm not an audiophile and unless I hear thing right after another, I can't distinguish between better and best. My goal was great home theater at a good price. The 801 has a great feature set and makes my ears happy. Can't wait till I get the new Axioms (2xM22s, VP150, 2xQS8s) and the HSU sub!

J&R still has the $799 with free ground shipping. See it here: http://www.jandr.com/JRProductPage.process?RestartFlow=t&Merchant_Id=1&Section_I d=1&Product_Id=3726025

Username: Edison

Post Number: 111
http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=655417/search=onkyo%20tx /ut=40af70f9b442a148

Check that out to save. It's the Onkyo 800 model which won the year award at a Hifi magazine. Sounds smooth and has an upscale sound - makes it a pleasure listening. Does music well too (2 channel).

Panasonic sa-xr45 is another possibility - I am getting this one. It has a digital amp like the sony 3000, but costs only $300 shipped. Although not full sounding, has a pleasant clean smooth upscale sound with a great bass! I am sold on the digital amp technology. I heard all the new ones from Panasonic will be digital - future of audio.

You can hear them at goodguys or bestbuy if you live near one.

The onkyo is nice as well - fuller sounding fun receiver!

NAD T761 is a nice one too - check out this review:

http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/buyersguide_list.asp?category=AMP&subcategory=MULTI

These places have good prices on NAD:

https://dmc-electronics.com/Default.htm

http://www.saturdayaudio.com/

Post Number: 3
James - interesting that you like the digital amps, I have heard mixed reviews.

I noticed that HK now makes a digital amp - does anyone have any insight on the sound of these amps compared to a traditional setup?

Username: Project6

Post Number: 46
from what i've heard, digital amps seem a little harsh. Probably the same reaction when tubes went to transistors. I think I need to adapt to it if I ever buy one. However, I won't be buying them anytime soon. I'd wait until the technology is matured with better prices and probably better sound, right now I don't think I'd want to replace my Outlaws any time soon.
cheers

Anonymous

I recommend the Yamaha 1400 and add on a Parasound HCA1205A (5X140W) or a Rotel 1098. I heard the Pioneer Ax5i and found it too bright sounding. I also heard the Onkyo and found it sounding shallow compared to the Yamaha.

Anon:

Thanks - do you think that seperates are a good idea when trying to keep my cost <$1,500?

Can a I get a Preamp/Amp combo that will best a equivilently priced reciever ($1,500)?

Appreciate any insight!

Anonymous

I just got the H/K avr430. I recommend it highly. It has an rs-232 port for future updates. My guess is that if Pro-Logic II came out today, you be able to upload it to this receiver. But, H/K has Logic 7, which blows away PLII or DTS Neo.

This receiver while rated at only 65 watts per channel is louder and more powerful than the 110 wpc Pioneer I had before. Great sound! Buy from J&R - great price from authorized dealer so you get to keep the warranty.

Username: Cargoil

Post Number: 3
In your price range I would recommend the Yamaha also, but at under $1000 retail I would go with the 2400 receiver. I found it to have outstanding sound quality. It also has everything you are looking for plus much more. It will be many years before this baby needs replacing.

Anonymous

Dave wrote:-

Thanks - do you think that seperates are a good idea when trying to keep my cost <$1,500?

Can a I get a Preamp/Amp combo that will best a equivilently priced reciever ($1,500)?

Appreciate any insight!

I am not sure what is the price in the US. I'm residing in S'pore and the Yamaha cost S$1,072 and the Parasound HCA 1205A cost S$1,699. This makes it about S$2,771 (approx US$1,630). I saw Parasound promotions at US$999 at Audio Adviser but they have reverted to the MSRP at US$1,199 (link: http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=PARHCA1205A&product_name =HCA-1205A%20Five-Channel%20Power%20Amplifier%20-%20Save%20$450).

The Yamaha is around US$570 (link: http://www.ravefactory.com/Receivers/YAMAHA_RXV1400.html).

I know this is stretching your budget but I suspect it will leave you very satisfied. It did for me!! :-)

The Rotel 1075 (I got the model wrong) is selling at S$1300 so the US price should be around US$765. (Link: http://www.laaudiofile.com/rmb1075.html) Rotel has slightly less power and its made in China so if you can stretch, go for the Parasound.

Alternatively go with Johnb's recommendation. I heard the Yamaha RVX 2400 and found it very good.

Anonymous

Dave,

I forgot to mention that you should also check out the Adcom when U listen to the Parasound or the Rotel. The GFA7605 is US$795 on offer(http://www.reliableaudiovideo.com/adgfa7powamn.html).

Now with the Yamaha at US$570 and the Adcom at US$795, you have something within your US$1,500 budget.

Enjoy!

Username: Edison

Post Number: 140
If you are thinking of separtes, might want to consider this - better than Yamaha, although parasound is nice.

http://www.outlawaudio.com/home.html

As for as a receiver goes, upper model onkyo sounds good. The 800 model won receiver of the year award in a Hifi Magazine, and check this out.

http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/buyersguide_list.asp?category=AMP&subcategory=MULTI

Panasonic sa-xr45 might be all you need - not very powerful, but loud enough and clean smooth sound! I rather have quality over quantity when it comes to sound.

If you upgrade the power cable on any receiver, you will improve it.

Username: Cargoil

The 2400 is $999 and the 1400 is $799 at Tweeters and you can bargain from there. I wonder if you really need seperates. In your price range I think you will sacrifice some of the flexability your looking for as far as video features go. I also hear many recommendations for receivers available only on line or hard to find in local outlets. I am sure they are good but I do seem to hear stories of problems out of the box with several of these brands. I would find it very bothersome to have to repackage and ship back for repairs. Stick with a name brand receiver no matter what you choose. It doesn't have to be some exotic brand to be of good quality. I know I'll hear some responces to this one.

Post Number: 5
Johnb - This was my feeling - let's be realistic - I don't have the best speakers right now - I am looking for something that will make the most of what I do have.

I am still leaning toward the Onyko -901, but I would really like some feedback on anyones experience with the Net Tune feature.

Anonymous

Hi all. Interesting. I am looking at the Yamaha RX-V1400 and someone suggested I look at the Onkyo 801.

Newbie question - I am laying out a 6.1 speaker setup. The Yamaha is 6.1. The Onkyo says 7.1 - is that an issue? I presume the Onkyo will have channels that map to the 7 satellites while the Yamaha will have 6 which is what I have...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us