How to hook Terk 'Q' FM antenna up to Elite receiver??? Help pls!

Username: Avdude

Post Number: 17
I have a Terk (model 'Q') powered FM/AM antenna.
The problem is that the FM antenna connection
on my Elite VSX-43TX receiver has two push connectors (like the cheap speaker connectors on some boomboxes or mini systems) that are marked 75 ohms (one is the ground for the FM antenna and one is the main connector for the FM antenna).

Optionally (as opposed to hooking up the included wire antenna) the manual's diagram shows a roof antenna with a 75 ohm coaxial cable that seems to have its wiring spliced, with the main portion going into the one of the two push connectors and the other part into the ground.

How can I hook it up?
My Terk has a coaxial connector, that simply plugged into my previous receivers, or in one case needed a simple '75 - 300 ohm matching convertor' to be connected (or maybe it should have been 75 ohm coaxial-to-75 ohm twin lead).
http://www.summitsource.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SS&Prod uct_Code=CO105T&Category_Code=CABLECON

In any case, is there any special pre-sliced/grounded coaxial cable I can buy that I could possibly connect (on one end) to the end of my antenna conbnector and then plug into the receiver push pin FM antenna connectors?

The Pioneer works with neither of these...

Since it accepts 75 ohm coaxial cable, why didn't they simply make a connector for it, like any VCR or TV has?

Thanks for any tips!

Post Number: 18
If anyone can help I would appreciate it!

Thanks!

Username: Ricardo

Post Number: 1
I have a PE VSX-45TX with the same antenna set-up as yours. I Also have a powered Terk antenna and run into the same problem. What I did was to go to Radio Shack and get an antenna transformer. I just hooked one end to the 75 ohm cable and the other two leads into the receiver. Everything has been working fine with no problems. I think I paid $2.99 and what I like about it was that it had like 4-5 in. leads which allowed me to connect it without crimping anything. Hope this helps

Post Number: 19
Thanks a lot for your helpful reply Ricardo.

A few questions:
I was thinking of doing what you did, but my transformer (I already had one lying around) is a '75 ohm to 300 ohm' transformer.

Is that what you have?
Or is yours a '75 ohm to 75 ohm' antenna transformer?

I was worried about connecting it that way:

1) since the diagram in the Elite manual shows 75 ohm, not 300 ohm...

2) I wouldn't know if either lead could be hooked up to the 'Ground' input on the receiver. It seems that your post answered this for me (i.e. just connect one of the two leads to the 'Ground' antenna input on the receiver).

Post Number: 20
I hooked it up and it worked.

Reception isn't great, but better than with the supplied FM wire antenna.

Thanks again!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us