Help! i'm out of control...

Username: Axlrose19802002

Post Number: 3
please help me and stop my madness! i'm totally into this home theater business, and spending hours a day researching it in places like this. help slow my madness!

i started looking at an sr-501 receiver from onkyo refurbished for $184. i knew nothing about home theater at the time(now i only know what i have gathered from this and similar message boards). i'm building my first home theater system, a little at a time on a second year teacher's salary. i was then told onkyo has gone down hill recently and to try pioneer who is getting much better or yamaha who is great along with denon. from there i am now getting myself into marantz (4300) and looking quite unsuccessfully at NAD.

are there big differences? it will mainly be for home theater, so some of the hype for stereo music listening is useless to me.

i'm thinking about a difinitive technology pcc2 speaker in the center and energy c-3's, axiom m3ti's (though i'm worried about the rear vent without a wall behind them), and the klipsch rb-25's for fronts.

thanks for the help.

Anonymous

Regarding receivers...
Do you care about Component connections? The Marantz does not have it and I think the T742 does. Not a big deal since you can send the Video Signal directly from the DVD player to your TV. From what I have read, the Marantz has more features and the NAD has the better sound. Seems like the T742 is the least problematic of the 1 and 2 T series from NAD and they do sound good. They are both within 50.00 bucks or each other. Both are well under 400.00 on the used market. You might want to check out the HK AVR 230 or last years 325 line for decent entry level H/T receivers. Don't know anything about Pioneer.
Personal opinion and others will disagree but I would advise to stay away from the Japanese brands.

Username: Feminazi

Post Number: 14
The same thing happened to me! I had an entry level system with some value speakers that sounded good but not fantastic. That all changed once I got an Onkyo TX-SR600 receiver and then a Kinima KC-1 centre channel. That was it for me, I went crazy and bought PSB Stratus Golds for my mains, Kinima Hi G1s for my rears, and now a PSB Subsonic 7 for my sub. I went off the handle! I may have to replace my receiver as it is definately not designed to handle the Golds. Best Buy has a deal on a 32 inch Apex TV that I might look into, but I am a bit strapped for cash right now with all of these acquisitions . . .

Check out PSB speakers, they sound great! I have read that the x300 Marantz receivers are fantastic, and Hawk gives them very high praise.

Post Number: 6
i'm having trouble finding much for marantz as far as retail goes on the internet. i can find even less for NAD. the only store of know of in my relatively urban area is ultimate electronics (formerly audio king) and they don't have much in the higher end of marantz, NAD, rotel, etc. any places good to buy at? i don't have a problem with factory refurbished but am scared to death of buying from someone else off the streets(ebay, ubid, etc.)

thanks.

Username: Johnny

Post Number: 26
Matthew,

The website for NAD is www.nadelectronics.com, and marantz is www.marantz.com. Both should have a place on the site where you type in your zip code or telephone area code and they will give you a list of authorized dealers in your area. I have Ultimate Electronics in my area too. They are good places to go listen if they have the brands you want. However, of the brands you listed, they only have Pioneer Elite, Yamaha, and Denon.

Post Number: 9
exactly, so i'm not sure i'm going to be able to hear the other receivers or speakers i'm looking at. big problem, i know. not sure how i'll get around that yet.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us