Subwoofer at fault?

Username: Mike55

Post Number: 1
Hi

I have just got my second home theater system a Cat DVA-2050.

After setting up I noticed the subwoofer sounded a bit dead. I ran a test dvd and all speakers sounded fine, other than the subwoofer, no sound.

I then tested using the in built tone test, this ran through FL,CC,FR,RL,RR but it did not show or test the subwoofer all.

Q1: Should an in built tone test the subwoofer?

Q2: How can I test that it is working as it should?

Q3: I have a subwoofer from my old system a HTC 2002 would it be a good idea to wire that to the new system?

Thanks Mike55

Username: Michaelslb

Post Number: 19
Michael,

You should be able to hear the test tones from
your sub.

Make sure that the subwoofer is turned ON in the
menu system of yuor receiver/processor. It sounds
like this is the problem if it didn't even test
the sub while running the tones.

If that doesn't work, try your other sub and see
if that one works -- if not, it may be your
receiver.

Hope that helps!

Michael

Post Number: 2
Hi

I did swap the subwoofer, the sound output and tone test was just the same. So the subwoofer speaker would seem to be ok.

I found a DVD "terminator 3" with a test for THX, the subwoofer was dead in this test.

However using the menu I set the speakers to large, which the manual says will "make bass not go to the subwoofer" and the subwoofer came to life.

But I still cannot get the tone test to send a test tone to the subwoofer.

I have ether not set the system up right or the reciver is at fault. I will try and contact the service dept and see if they can help.

Thanks again, Michael

Unregistered guest
Hi Michael,
I have just seen your last correspondence and as I have purchased the same system I was wondering if you could help me with a few problems I have with the system. If I put an audio CD into the machine it does not automatically identify it as such, in fact a "No Disc" message comes up on the machine and the TV screen if it is turned on. While playing around with it I eventually was able to get it to work but I do not know what exactly it was that I did. Do you have this problem. Also I see you mention setting the speaker to large I do not seem to have this function, what did you do to bring this up in the menu. Last but not least the manual has a section on Pro Logic 2 am I correct in saying this system does not have this feature.

John C

Philip Webb
Unregistered guest
Michael,

I have the same system, same probs. However, I didn't have the same success switching the other speakers to large and my sub-woofer is still not performing when tested with Gladiator last night! Did you have any joy with the service depot? I am losing patience and am close to returning the system to the store where I foolishly bought it.

Phil

Post Number: 3
Hi

I emailed Cat-Sound support before Christmas and got no reply.

The manual is badly written and the on screen menu leaves a lot to be desired.

Put your audio CD in and press the source button on the remote control, Aux, FM, TV then it looks for what is in the CD/DVD drive. It should then check the format of the disk and start playing.

If you get no disk try a DVD or other audio as the disk could be at fault.

The advanced setting, press setup and then enter 4711 this opens the advanced menu, on the tv screen.

It does have Pro Logic which can be set to on, off or auto, I have set it to auto.

By the way the UK support number is listed as an unknown number by BT.

We have decided to keep the system and not ask for our money back. It sounds OK and the problem with the sub-woofer is I am sure down to advanced menu.

Regards Michael

Username: Jconneally

Post Number: 1
Hi Michael,
I think you may have answered my queries as soon as I get home I will try out switching between sources, where pray tell did you get the 4711 from. I have never been able to get the large and small related to the speakers but now I may be able to do so. Delighted to hear the it does have Pro Logic 2. It is the latest in sound technology and CAT dont bother indicating this on there packaging, it might tell yousomthing about their company.

Regards John

Post Number: 4
Hi

I would not buy another system from them, due to no email or phone support. In fact no support at all.

I wonder just how many of these DVD-2050 Cat Sound systems they have sold and just how many have problems with the sudwoofer?

The packaging is all about marketing, getting you and me to buy it and take it home. Once home with it you find the manual is of little real help and when you try and get some support from the maker, the is none!

Username: Jconneally

Post Number: 2
The latest is that I am returning the system to day. I have tried to get the CD working in some form of logical way and it just has a mind of its own, whan it plays the CD it is perfect but it might stop after thre tracks or not when I can get it working. I spoke to Janice in the Dublin office who looks after "after sales" and she informed me she may be able to get me another model but it could take 4 to 5 weeks. It is a shame as the sound I felt was very good when playing DVD's, so I will have to go looking for another cheap System, any ideas.
I have seen a Black Diamond on the Richer sounds web site which looks ok, but I may end up having to pay a bit more for a reliable system.

John

steve b
Unregistered guest
Hello out there! Please someone help me!! I recently installed a amp and sub in my 1991 accord. At first it worked fine, about an hour later it stopped working. I noticed on the amp a power protector light had come on, so i pulled the fuse on the amp, turned the bass all the way down on the amp, and tried again. It works until i try to turn the bass up and then the amp goes off and the light comes back on. I have a 500w sony amp, and a 12" kenwood 400w sub. I tried everything, checking the ground, i tested the sub. I dont know, if someone can help i would appreciate it greatly. Thanks

OFF_Beats
Unregistered guest
Hey how do you have the sub wired"? it could be pulling too much energy and causing the amp. to shut off.. try getting a different amplifier. Cuz sony sucks.

Tom V.
Unregistered guest
Steve,

Also check the wiring terminations. IF you have even one strand of copper "loose" near one of the terminations...it may cause just enough of a "short" to cause the amp to go into protect mode as the volume increases. Also, if it is a dual voice coil sub, try wiring in series(if you have it wired in parallel now).

Tom V.
SVS
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us