Opinions on the Marantz DV 6400?? Bueller?.....Bueller.......??

Anonymous

Does anyone have an opinion on the new Marantz DV 6400??

Andrew R
Unregistered guest
Hey there,

I recently purchased a Marantz DV6400 from www.hifi.com. For DVD video, it's excellent, but my redbook CDs sound horrible. Even with the bass knob on my receiver (Marantz SR-780) cranked all the way up, there's still no bottom end (I listen to classical mostly). I can't speak for DVD-A discs, but the sound quality of SACD is certainly more spectral than redbooks CDs; however, I find that even with SACDs, the bottom end is still missing. So, can the DV6400 play all formats (except HDCD)? Yes. But can it play them well? Not particularly. If you really want a decent universal player, you will have to spend upward of US$1000. I'm going to return the DV6400 and buy the new NAD C-542 for redbook CDs and pick up a decent DVD player that just plays DVDs. Either spend the extra buck on the more expensive universal players (the Marantz DV8400 is by far superior to the DV6400; remember, there's a $1000 price difference between the two players! You DO get what you pay for!) or just wait until the SACD and DVD-A market takes off and new players are introduced at more affordable prices. I'm opting for the latter. I hope this helps.

Unregistered guest
Hello, I think to buy DVD player which is also good for music (classic and jazz). I think about either Harman/Kardon DVD 30 or Marantz 6400. It is sad to hear that the last one is not really good/ Any opinion about H/K DVD 30? Thank you

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 364
The Denon 2200 is the player to beat at its price point. It is superior to the Marantz 6400 on most every important spec. The Denon almost hits theoretical perfection on cd's, has very good video, beats the Marantz 6400 by 10 db in noise floor resolution on DVD-A and by over 5 db's on SACD.

Denon has done their homework and proper engineering on both the 2200 and the 2900. Plus they are built like tanks. The Pioneer Elite 47AVi and the Denon 2200 are toss-ups.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us