Stereo 'Line Level Out' How Far can it go ? , wire type, how many splits ?

Username: Jimmmm

NY

Post Number: 2
How far can i run a 'line level out' (audio line out) from a computer without boosting signal ?

To run a Line level approx. 20 feet : Can i use speaker wire ? , Will Category 5, 5e, or 6 be O.K ? unshielded/shielded ? , or will i need shielded coax ?, rg6 or rg59 ?

I have access to all of these wire types , please comment on each of these types of you can.

Thank You For Your Time !

Username: Jimmmm

NY

Post Number: 3
How Many times can i split the Line Level and send to different stereos/amps before using a mixer or preAmp ?

At least 2 or three ?

Will signal degrade for either stereo/amps ?

Bronze Member
Username: Danman

Post Number: 49
If you are going to plug into let's say a subwoofer with its own power amp, you would need ashielded cable like coaxial type. The best bet is to use a shieded cable for anything besides speakers.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
You can run a line level output (minimum 1 volt out) at least 100' before you will have signal loss. The actual answer depends on the output impedance against the input impedance but 100' is OK in any case. You can split a signal 3 ways before you experience enough signal loss to have to use another method other than a simple splitter. If the splitter is of sufficient quality, you will not degrade the signal quality but just the level of voltage available to each leg of the line output. If you are running all three lines more than 50' it is best to use a distribution system, a mixer would be the best choice. Use a 100% shielded cable for all line level connections. You will degrade the signal the least if you use a 2 conductor, shielded cable and have both + and - legs be the same type of cable and hook the ground connection up to only one end of the cable. Usually you will attach the ground at the signal in side but this may not be the case in all systems and reversing the cable to check for any 60 Hz hum is always a good idea where possible.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us