Marantz SR5400 vs yamaha RXV640RDS

Username: Swamy

Post Number: 1
Hi, ive recently bought a marantz SR5400, but I haven't opened it yet because im now thinking of giving it back and getting the yamaha RXV640RDS. Do you think this is a wise descision? I'd be grateful if anyone could help me with this as it is bugging me a lot. What Hi-fi mag seems to prefer the yamaha.

Username: E1kad2

Post Number: 3
Have you tried auditioning the two AVR's? I would be bias if I choose Yamaha over Marantz since I own a Yamaha AVR. The best way is to listen to both of them using your ears. You'll be the judge.

Username: Edison

Post Number: 16
Pioneer Sa-xr45 beats them both for $300.

http://www.thedotcomsuperstore.com/viewitem.php?IndexID=1989

This new digital technology will take over the receiver technology soon - sounds like an audiophile quality for entry level price.

Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 44
First of all this new unit is a Panasonic, not a Pioneer.
Swammy,
What speakers do you have? There is a world of difference in sound between the Yamaha and the Marantz. You need to match the receiver to your speakers and not pick the receiver on it's own. The Marantz is much warmer and has a great dealmore power in multichannel mode. See January issue of Sound & Vision for a review of the 5400.

Username: Swamy

Post Number: 2
Hi elitefan,
I'm in the process of buying a speaker package. What do you think of the Tanoy 5.1 package?
Swamy

Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 49
I have never had the chance to hear the Tannoy's. No dealers anywhere near me. Just my opinion but I would keep the Marantz and then choose speakers to match with it. I don't know your budget but I would suggest trying to find a Monitor Audio dealer and listen to the Bronze and Silver series. Marantz and Monitor is a great combination and that way you have a wonderful sounding system that will beat the best Yamaha combination I know of which is Yamaha/Paradigm.
If you don't have a Monitor dealer nearby then any speaker slightly to the bright of neutral is a good match with Marantz.[Klipsch,Def Tech,Polk]
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us