Can a non-self-powered subW be connected to the Yamaha Z1

Username: David_p

Post Number: 3
I have picked up the Z1 and have noticed, unfortunately, that I am not able to hook up my existing SW. Simply put, I have an old but wonderfully warm sounding Polk Audio RM 1000 speaker system that I plan on keeping. However, the SW for the RM 1000 is not self powered. There is no jack on the Z1 for a SW unles it is a coax jack for a powered SW. I cannot hook up the SW to the front effects as there is no opportunity to pick Lg. vs Sm for the Z1 front effects.
Do any of you out there have a suggestion beyond the obvious upgrading to a powered sub. I am sure there is a way and am in need of some advice. Again, thanks in advance.

Silver Member
Username: Geekboy

Newport, RI United States

Post Number: 322
David: (thanks for the email)...

Yes, you are in an interesting place to be. If you really need the Low Frequency Effects (LFE) capability of the system -- meaning you like the movie/music discrete surround sound modes -- then you'll need to provide amplification for that subwoofer. (I tried to find information on the RM 1000 subwoofer to see its specifications and all, but couldn't find them.)

You could attempt to power them from the LEFT and RIGHT main speakers utilizing the sub's crossover... but it even gets more complex, as you have 2 subs.

You could just purchase a nice 100W stereo power amplifier to power them, or purchase one of the PSW subwoofers from Polk.

My leanings are towards the amplifier, but, I don't know how good/great those RM 1000 subs are. My inclination is that if you have to buy an amp, and the subs aren't "that" good, you may as well buy a powered subwoofer (one of the Polk PSWs or a Velodyne or HSU).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us