Trouble with yamaha rx-v2400

Bronze Member
Username: Scottblock

Post Number: 19
Well here is the deal guys i bought the rx-v2400 yesterday along with the yamaha dvd-c940 5 disc player and i hooked it all up. Now i just need to get the def tech pro cinema 80s which is the sub/sat speakers i decided on for the limited space i have. I was using a sony reciver that came with everything speakers sub reciver and dvd player and i took it all out except for the speakers. I am going to use them for a few days until i can get the def techs ( i know they are garbage and do this reciver no justice but i am waiting a few days until i can buy the speakers). Now the sony speakers are 6ohms and there is an option to change this on the reciver so i changed it from 8 ohms to 6 and i hooked everything up and it seemed to be working fine , but about 20 minutes into a dvd the reciver shut off and when i turned it back on it said on the screen check speaker wires. I did and i do not see anything wrong in my opinion and i have no idea why its shutting off can someone help me out maybe they have some advice or know something of this happining in there experience.

Bronze Member
Username: Bleustar

Pensacola, Florida

Post Number: 38
I would guess it is your speakers. The 6 ohm rating can be misleading as far as the actual rating that exist during playback. The protection device in the receiver shuts it off when it is overloaded. The receiver needs to have a break in period too. Are your Def Techs 8 ohm?

Bronze Member
Username: Scottblock

Post Number: 20
The def techs are 8 ohms but i didnt get them yet and i compared them to about 10 diffrent high end speaker sets and pairs and there was nothing that compared to these they had such a clear natural sound and for the price i dont think they can really be beat. I fixed the problem , when i changed the reciver to 6 ohms it was a mistake because the yamaha customer service told me that with there recivers it doesnt matter if i keep it on 8 ohms because putting it on 6 is just limiting the power of the reciver and is more of just a feature for people who really just want it for the comfort of being able to switch. Once i changed that it hasnt shut off since. By the way i might sound like an adveretisement right now but the customer service was great i got them on the phone in 2 or 3 minutes and they didnt ask me all these bull questions they just helped me right off the bat. Also i have been messing around with the reciver alot and the remote and between the learning features and options on the remote and the endless amount of features on the reciver from the amps power , to the diffrent modes, to the thx , to being able to change the inputs to whatever you want ,to the ypao and the sound quality and every other feature it has i cant tell you how worth it this reciver is and how happy i am with it. I am not to sure if i paid a good price but i paid $799 for te reciver and $100 for an additional 3 years warranty. I am sure that there are some recivers in the range that might sound a little better but from the other recivers i heard the diffrence was so little that for the ridiculous amount of features the v2400 has it was way more worth it and i havent even hooked the def techs up to it or used the ypao.

Anonymous100
Unregistered guest
Good for you, it's nice to see that you're happy with your decision, don't beat yourself up for what you payed it sounds like a good deal...enjoy

Bronze Member
Username: Bleustar

Pensacola, Florida

Post Number: 41
You got a good price and I'm glad hear your happy with it. That is the only thing that matters...what you think about your new toy!

Happy listening!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us