Marantz official news!...

Bronze Member
Username: Falp

Post Number: 59
...from one of the best sounding receivers brand:

http://www.marantz.com/pdfs/e_sr4500.pdf

The others will be coming soon!

Can anyone tell if current AVReceivers like SR5400 or SR7400 can handle 4 Ohm speakers like Canton Karats or others?

Username: Meursault

Post Number: 7
Thanks for the heads up.

Looks like it should be a nice receiver. I don't know anything about the Canton Karats, though. Sorry.

I did notice that the sr4500 is rated for 4 ohms, which is new for the sr4X00 series. I can't wait to get a look at the sr5500. It might be exactly what I have been looking for, if it *officially* supports a 4ohm load. I hope that you'll post again if you chance upon specs for the 5500.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 62
Rated for 4 Ohms? Didn't see that...

Username: Meursault

Post Number: 8
Oh, my mistake. I thought that in the audio section of the PDF, it indicates that it puts out 80 watts into both 8 ohms and 4 ohms. That would be a little odd, I guess.

Maybe there is hope for some of the better models, though, since they seem to be leaving a space for the 4 ohm rating on the generic spec sheet, which they did not do before. I think it might make sense for them to beef up the electronics a little and officially support 4 ohm speakers with some receivers. NAD is the only brand I know of (besides Outlaw, which doesn't currently have a receiver) that is relatively inexpensive and supports 4 ohm speakers. Neither of those has the distribution or brand recognition of Marantz.

Silver Member
Username: Valeem

Post Number: 149
Nice to see the 4500 is now more like the 5x00 upwards as before the 4400 was the poor relation in the range. Some nice touches with the adjustable crossover (finally), lip-sync, 192 DAC's (still a bit coy about the ADC's and now the signal to noise ratio though-come clean Marantz!), 32 bit processor, metal front plate and second room function. It finally looks worthy but the proof will be in the listening!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 65
100% agree!!!

Silver Member
Username: Arnold_layne

MadridSpain

Post Number: 103
Interesting. Compared to my SR4300, Marantz has done the following on the basic audio side:

- Upgrade from 24 to 32 bit DSP, which allows for DTS 96/24. They've thrown in DPL IIx as well, for wretched sound tweakers.

- One extra channel amplifier, making it a discrete 7.1 machine. Hopefully maintaining the same analogue components as before.

- Upgrade from 96 to 192/24 DACs. Hopefully still one for each channel(?). You won't be able to put 192 KHz signals into it (S/PDIF limitation). So the value of the new DACs would rather depend on their musicality.

All in all, I'd trade this one for my 4300, because of DTS 96/24 and 7.1, but not without checking if analogue components have been downgraded in SR4500.

Cheers
AL

BTW, "-" (dash) in Marantz specs always mean "no". It is not rated 4 Ohms.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us