Please help me choose upgrade

Needing help
Unregistered guest
I appreciate any opinion you may have.
I currently have a Yamaha receiver I bought 8 years ago with dolby pro logic. I have Boston Acoustic speakers micro 80x and sub cr-400 which I like. I want a new receiver for watching movies, I have a budget up to about $400.
I plan to watch movies with lots of explosives loud.

1. Is the difference b/w dobly pro logic and digital that noticeable @ home?
2. Is the yamaha 5750 any good?
3. Do I need 7.1 or is 6.1 ok?
4. whats the deal w/ digital EX (doI want that?)
5. any suggestions? Thanks

Needing help
Unregistered guest
What about the HK AVR320 7.1? for 200 used

Bronze Member
Username: Bleustar

Pensacola, Florida

Post Number: 36
Are you listening to 5.1 now. If so decide if you want to upgrade. The Yamaha RX-v1400 and 2400 are the best Yamaha's, but are probably out of your budget. For the best sound around $400, I would look at the Harman Kardon AVR230 or AVR330 or the Marantz 5400.

Dolby Digital EX is newer technology than ES or prologic.

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1250
yo need the hk would be great!

1. Is the difference b/w dobly pro logic and digital that noticeable @ home? YES
2. Is the yamaha 5750 any good? NOT IN MY OPPINION
3. Do I need 7.1 or is 6.1 ok? NOT REALLY but it's nice.
4. whats the deal w/ digital EX (doI want that?) THAT IS 6.1/7.1
5. any suggestions? Thanks (MARANTZ, PIONEER ELITE OR H/K)

those are my recomendations!

Anonymous

Needing help

Since you love watching movies, go with the Yamaha again. Nothing beats yamaha at the same price level as far as movie sound reproduction is concern. I you can afford the RXV1400, much better. However, they are not very good for music.

Silver Member
Username: Geekboy

Newport, RI United States

Post Number: 326
Needing help: I see that Kegger has helped you out. I just wanted to write this about "Is the difference b/w dobly pro logic and digital that noticeable @ home?".

The difference, is like comparing Stereo Hi-Fi to monaural (MONO). :-) But, in order to enjoy Dolby Digital and other multi-channel non-matrixed sound formats is that you need to supply all the channels. I.E. the front left and right speakers, center channel, rear left and right surround speakers and the subwoofer (the Low Fequency Effects (LFE)).

To answer your other questions...
3. Do I need 7.1 or is 6.1 ok? I have an H/K AVR-525 and still run in 5.1 mode. I'm considering upgrading and implementing 7.1 when I "finish" my theatre room.

4. whats the deal w/ digital EX (doI want that?)
EX is an extended matrix surround format. Adds a center channel to a 5.1 system. It is not discrete. The "ES" designator would indicate the discrete surround back channel. There isn't a lot of DVDs with EX/ES encoded material anyhow. I consider it a luxury, although, i'm thinking of implementing it myself. :-)

5. any suggestions? Kegger has good suggestions for receivers in your price range.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us