AMW T352 Subwoofer Problem.. help!

Username: 0mtrks

Post Number: 1
I recently recieved an AMW (Amphion Media Works) T352 home theatre system (dvd, reciever, amp) as a gift and I am having a serious problem with my subwoofer.

I have a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8000 series Digital Cable box (time warner) and have it hooked up to the AMW reciever with RCA cables (I am going to try connecting the box and the reciever with a coax cable as well later today) as opposed to R/W/Y cables. I did not have a set available, however I am going to pick some up today.

The problem I am having is this: when watching cable, if my audio reciever is on and the subwoofer is connected, the sub emits an extremely annoying low frequency hum. The actual sound from the programming is in the mix too, but at a substantially lower volume, and any bass notes are extremely muddy.

At first I thought it may be a grounding issue, so I grounded the sub, and this did not help.

I played a CD through the system and everything worked and sounded perfectly fine, including the subwoofer... so I've concluded that the issue lies somewhere between the cable box and the audio reciever.

My AMW unit did not come with a manual (GRR) and my attempts at accessing it's internal set up screens have been unsuccessful. I tried adjusting the subwoofer volume on the face of the unit, however this had no effect.

If anyone has any input, suggestions, or advice on resolving this issue, it would be greatly apperciated. The unit has worked very well (especially considering the low price tag) other than this.. however having a subwoofer that does not function 100% of the time is a major detraction from the system, and if I cannot solve the problem I will have to return it.

Thanks!
Dave

Username: 0mtrks

Post Number: 2
To clarify something here quickly, as it could be important:

my cable box is currently connected to the reciever via R/W RCA cables. So basically, I am currently running mono audio from the box and using the other RCA for video. I can see where this may cause an issue, but the other 5 speakers connected to the system work fine and sound good.

Dave
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us