H/K DPR 1001

Anonymous

What is the deal with the Harman Kardon DPR 1001? I saw it at Circuit City for $699, and I can get a $50 rebate. It retailed originally for 1499, then went down to 999. I was looking at an AVR 330, but the DPR 1001 is the same price, and is supposed to be new digital path technology, but it sounded like the guy did not know what he was talking about. How can it be so light compared to the AVR 330, about half the weight, and yet put out the same amount of power (approx 50 w x 7 ch)?

There is no iron in this receiver, it is about 15 pounds and does not get hot at all, by comparison.

I see it is discounted everywhere, so is it not really that good a deal?

It appears to be extremely flexible, more in/outs than I think I will ever need, about as much as you could want, in a small light package. It is so light, it worries me, it feels kind of cheap...but typically, I have heard that H/K is a very reputable company.

Thanks

Username: Avdude

Post Number: 10
I don't know much about the receiver, but I wanted to mention, in case you didn't know, that it is available at J&R (tax-free, unless you buy it in-store or have it shipped to NY) for US$599.88
Shipping is about $17, which is less than the tax CC (or CC.com) would charge.
J&R's price is lower than CC's AFTER rebate price, and you don't have to worry about dealing with a rebate...

Username: Johnny

Post Number: 20
Anon,

I too do not know much about the HK DPR 1001, but if I were you, I would inquire some more about it before you buy either one. Like you said, the receiver was originally $1500 but now is only $699, plus a rebate. This type of markdown, especially from the large stores such as this is almost unheard of. Someone is really trying to unload these things. For what reason...who knows? Either HK or Circuit City must be having trouble selling them. I would be a little weary of buying this "new digital path technology" until you knew a little bit more about it. I have been reading these forums for months now, and I have never heard of this technology or this receiver until today. That doesn't mean that it is not good...just isn't very well known yet. Unfortunately, those salesman at CC are practically worthless and will likely be able to tell you very little about the product. Send an email to HK or find a higher end HK salon dealer in your area and ask them about the unit. They will be able to tell you a lot more than any salesman at CC ever thought about.

Post Number: 11
I agree 100% with Johnny about inquiring more about it.
I was on my way to do some business when I posted my original response, so I kept it short.

Before I bought my current receiver, I noticed the DPR-1001 myself.
As soon as I saw that it had NEW Digital Path technology, yet was already being heavily discounted, I said to myself there is either something wrong with the technology OR with the perception of it ("receiver weighs too little to be good" e.g.) for it to be heavily discounted.

Because it didn't fit my requirements anyway (I needed something black that looked elegant and fit well with my existing components), I didn't research it, but I felt something was most likely very wrong if a new product was already being WIDELY sold for 60% off MSRP.
As Johnny stated that doesn't mean there IS something wrong, but that it should be well researched.

Username: Hawk

Post Number: 21
The reason this receiver is so light, runs so cool and is so cheap is that it uses IC outputs, a practice discredited about 15 years ago as the sound is simply not up to par with quality transistor outputs. However, now Sony is doing the same thing with their new ES receivers, selling everyone on the concept of an "all-digital" amplifier. Let there be no mistake--THIS STUFF IS JUNK! Anyone who wants high quality sound needs to look elsewhere! I commend everyone who has posted here on recognizing an empty marketing ploy when they see one.

Username: John_a

Post Number: 25
Wow. Real opinions. Similar Panasonic described here on Anyone buying a receiver should consider this new technology!.

This is the sort of information you could only get here. Must hear one. But what's the deal about how light it is? "Light" is not a virtue. Power is, though. Sound quality is the real issue, so heed Hawk's warning.

Anonymous

John,

The reason I was asking about weight, as one quality, is because I have this sort of belief that most good sounding high current amps have big power supplies, hence weight, and generate lots of heat, and that was what was so surprising about the DPR 1001. Similar "non-digital" H/K AVRs were twice the size physically, twice the weight and running much hotter. It was impossible to tell any sound difference in a noisy show room.

I agree that sound quality is the real issue. I don't really know how IC outputs work, but I gather not well from Hawk's comments.

Post Number: 13
As an update to my previous price post:
Just in case anyone is interested in this receiver, the price is $549.99 ($50 off today only) at J&R.

I am NOT recommending it, but I decided to mention it in case someone here wants one despite what has been said here, and also as an update to my prior price post, which was only a few days ago.

Username: Gal

Post Number: 6
Hawk, what is an IC output?
Cheers

Post Number: 7
Hi again .... well I guess my message was way too general.
So, what exactly is digital about this technology?, how does it work in general?
I know how the transistor technology works based on the semiconductors.
I would love to know something about this technology.
Thanks a million in advance.
Gal

Username: Billdashill

Well at least the thing runs cool!! ROTFLMAO!!

Post Number: 8
Nothing Hawk? :-)
What does "IC" stand for?
Cheers

Anonymous

IC stands for integrated circuits

See the last couple of detailed responses in this message: https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/8493.html

It talks about Class D amplification which I gather the HK uses.

Username: Hawk

Post Number: 48
Gal:

Sorry I didn;t see your post before now--been off doing my holiday shopping.

IC output means integrated circuit. Same thing as a computer. Think of the sound card in your computer for an idea of how an IC output works because that is exactly what your sound card is (which is very low power, likely 4 wpc) and simply increase it in magnitude to understand what an IC based receiver is like. However, the distortion of ICs is considerably higher than good transistor outputs. I would also note that the H/K has been a horrible sales flop which is why they are being so heavily discounted.

If a receiver running cool is what a buyer wants and they are willing to sacrifice a measure of musical fidelity, then it may well be the right receiver for them. All digital receivers are being pushed now by Sony as they are much cheaper to build than traditional transistor based receivers, right down to their plastic faceplates, so you will be seeing more of them. However, I have yet to hear one that I would even consider buying. I like a higher quality sound.

Cheers Hawk and anon
the post by Gregory Stern in the other thread covers the whole theory of these amps.
Hawk, hope you bought something for yourself as well and not all gifts :-)
Gal

Steve Pierce
Unregistered guest
I am beginning to wonder if any of you have ever heard the dpr1001. I know new technology scares people (remember tube amps), but you really should listen to the stuff before making comments. I have owned a dpr1001 for 3 weeks now. If you like crystal clear highs and mids, you will get that with this receiver. Iam running powered subs from the LFE output. Sit down and watch Pearl Harbor in DTS mode, just make sure your chair is bolted down.

Post Number: 11
Steve,
I myself have not actually listened to this unit or any "all digital" amp. I was actually wondering about the technology itself.
It's great that you are happy with your system, just take in mind taht good performance in HT DOES NOT meen goog stereo sound, have a couple of days and let us know.
I would appreciate havind a unit like the HK DPR1001 and anothe big amp just for music.

Username: Edison

Post Number: 130
I haven't heard this one, but a digital amp by panasonic sa-xr45. It's not full sounding, but has a pleasant clean smooth sound - I can listen to it for a long time without tiring.

I am getting one - some audio lovers on www.audioasylum.com are replacing 8k pieces (separates) with this one. Some like it, some don't which brings to the mined of pointing out that, you the listener's has to like it.

Read reviews by the pros, and get recommendations, but in the end, don't buy 'til you found an item you love.

Matching is important - after hearing many expensive systems in Hifi specialty shops, I found what I was looking far in inexpensive Athena spaekers with a sony amp (total $300! at bestbuy).

We all listen to different music and have different tastes, so find your dream and go with it no matter what anyone says - you can find good sounding systems for not much money these days.

If you want to save, you can get them used at www.audiogon.com

Anyway, that was my point to Gal, after hearing the 1001, if it does it for you, than get it - it's your toy.

Panasonic sa-xr45 does music pretty well too - you might want to hear this one at goodguys or bestbuy if you live near one. Only $300 shipped on the web.

If you want the after service, buy locally fr more.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us