MARANTZ SR7400 vs PIONEER ELITE VSX55(Mr Hawk pls)

Username: Jordie

Post Number: 5
which one do you think would be a better match w/
the Def Techs BP2004TL/2006TL?
thanks a lot!

Username: Gman

Post Number: 26
Well, you hardly need either for their power supplies. The Def Techs are self-powered in their woofers--which is where most power goes on any amp. So in this case you are using the amp sections to use at most 20-30 watts to blast as they won't drive the woofers.

I think the preamp section of the 55TXi with the addition of i-link (firewire) and USB port (for MP3 or computer connections), plus excellent speaker balancing and acoustics function (MCCAC) probably makes them a better choice. And firewire can connect to some dvd players, some HDTV receivers, and who knows what else in the future.

But if you have a store to listen--go ahead and do that first. Unless the store just has one brand--which will teach you little.

Username: Hawk

Post Number: 22
Both of these are very good receivers and represent a good value. If it were me, I would lean toward the Marantz as I like its sound better. It isn't as "laid-back" sounding as the Pioneer Elite. The Def Techs are a fast, aggressive speaker, which is a bit forward sounding, but I don't find them to be particularly bright, which would be the reason to go with the Pioneer Elite. So, I think the Marantz would be the better combo, but Gregory is right--you should audition them for yourself if you can.

Merry Christmas!

Anonymous

Maybe I got a lemon, but I am sending my 7400 back. It is very hot with no load on it, ie just my speakers hooked up no imputs. Also I get crackling on one speaker in a small sub-reference range of the rotary volume dial. I get intermitent "protect" shut offs. I am worried about any component that gets hot, since that would seem to wear out. I hope that a longstanding company like Marantz is putting out fine products and that I just was unfortunate to get a slip up.

Username: Hawk

Post Number: 26
Anon:

Very sorry to hear you got a bad one. Yes, they all have a "slip up" from time to time. I am sure your dealer will make it right.

When you get your new one, let us know what you think of one that is in proper working order. I have not had the chance to play with one for any extended period of time, so I would appreciate your thoughts.

Good luck!

Post Number: 7
Hawk:
I DID LISTEN TO BOTH RECEIVERS, BUT NOT IN THE SAME ROOM.THE SALESMAN OF THE STORE THAT CARRIES THE DEF TECHS RECOMMENDED THE PE TO ME.HE DIDN'T FORGET TO METION THAT MARANTZ PUTZ OUT CRAPPY PRODUCTS LATELY....
ANYWAY..THANKS A LOT FOR THE VALUABLE INFORMATION
ADRIAN

Post Number: 8
mention..sorry

Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 43
Adrian,
Even though I love the Elite line I would not agree that Marantz puts out crappy products. The 300 line Marantz was great and I hope the new 400 series turns out to be just as good. The only thing that bothers me is the 400 series is now made in China, not known for quality production. We will have to wait and see. Sonically at least, the Marantz are top knotch in every respect.

Anonymous

I freaked out today, walked into a retail store and bought a NAD T 763. News at 11...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us