Humming Amp Problem

Username: Chas

Post Number: 1
I am trying to set up a 5.1 Home Theater using a some pieces from an old stereo system and a new AVR. I have a terrible hum when I hook up the L+R main stereo speakers. Any suggestions?

AVR is a Harman Kardon. Using the preamp outs to a Counterpoint SA-20 200 wpc stereo amplifier and get a loud hum out of the speakers with no signal in. Playing music or a video does not get rid of the hum.

I suppose this is some grounding problem, although I do not know what to do here, or what to check for.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

bass_lover
Unregistered guest
yes there is the problem your running it off a output no matter what output you run it off you will always get a hum even I do.It shouldnt be that bad my hum is low and unotisable, its only loud if the amp im running it off has the volume up high.

Anonymous

Was able to remove the hum by eliminating the ground loop. Used a cheater plug to convert three prong plug to two.

Username: Stez_head

Post Number: 5
make sure your tv station wall plug is in secure because mine came out once and even though your T.V. is on AV it is searching for channels to receive so keep it pleged in.

If it is pluged in check all RCAs and speaker terminals after this has been done theire should still be a very soft quiet distortion noise
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us