Receiver with Magnepan MMG?

Username: Bttb

Post Number: 1
Hello, I'm a newbie who just wants to start listening to music with a (relatively) good system. Considering I'm a college student in low budget, I narrowed it down to renowned Magnepan's MMG. I can gratefully spend $550 for a great speaker, but the problem arises from selecting the A/V receiver because the AV receiver with good 4 ohm capability is usually expensive. After long time of research, I realized that the Nad receivers are good, so the cheapest Nad receiver that I found is Nad T742 (refurbished) at $400. And Dvd player that I chose is Nad 532 (also refurbished) at $250.

To sum them all up, I would spend more than $1200!! I don't really want to spend that much money for an audio system right now.

So, Here is my question. Is there a good receiver that can be used with MMG well at cheaper price? (I can get Onkyo 501 at $150, does it work well with MMG?) Also, does it really lower the quality of music and movie a lot if I get a cheap dvd player such as Philips 642($70)?

Please help me to figure this out.

Silver Member
Username: Edison

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 485
Panasonic sa-xr70 will do the job. It's small and light for a dorm room. Good for moving.

You can google search for it on the web for $340 delivered.

You might also want to buy used on www.audiogon.com your nad idea, and the maggy mmg - this way, you will have some for the cables.

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr_memb.pl?vbudg&1082423465&memb&zzChubz71

This guy was selling a similar system used - might still have it - email him. Ask him how he got everything for $1200.

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vbudg&1082423465&openflup&16&4#16

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1201
i would say with those speakers stay with a nad
reciever.

and the pioneer 563a universal dvd/sacd/dvd-audio
player for $100 should work just fine.

if you want to try that route.

you could try audiogon.com for a used nad reciever.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us