Any opinions of Sony STR-DE997B 2-room receiver?

Mr. Sky
Unregistered guest
Hi, I just saw this 840 watt 7.1 2 room receiver in the paper and read up on it on sony site. There dont seem to be any reviews of it on the web, so I assume its fairly new. What do you think about it?

I am particularly excited about the 2-room capability - it seems it can stream two different content streams to 2 different sets of speakers.

Does anyone have experience with this 2 room functionality? Are there other products out there with this kind of feature?

Otherwise I am just going to keep drooling over the Onkyo 1000 Watt "Boom Boom" 6.1 HTIB. Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Geekboy

Newport, RI United States

Post Number: 317
Mr. Sky: the STR-DE897 was reviewed by Sound & Vision Magazine in their September issue. You can look at the Sound & Vision Test Reports to see what the power ratings were for teh 897. Sony seems to only do about 75% of rated power into 5 channels, so the receiver is probably more like 72W/channel (60% of rated power) with all channels driven.

The interesting thing about the STR-DE997 is that Sony still lists (on their "specifications" page on the website) these models as 120W x 7 (1KHz) and 110W x 7 (20Hz - 20KHz). However, you have to look at the manual to see that this was tested only in pairs, not all channels driven. (Just my pet peave... nothing for you to worry about.)

I had the STR-DE995/B which is the predecessor to the STR-DE997. I didn't like it at all. It is rated 110W/channel ("a 770W receiver") and it is definately weak when played in surround modes (multi-channel modes other than stereo). I was using my 70W x 5 Kenwood KRV-990D, at the time, as a comparison. It was like night and day.

The best I can tell you, is to listen to it with your speakers and some good test material (CDs and DVDs). Preferably with your own speakers! (Mine made a big different because my main speakers are Paradigm Reference Eclipse/BPs and are not "that" efficient, so take power to move them.)

The 2nd zone functionality is pretty easy to use. I never set it up on my STR-DE995B because I returned the reciever the next day.

So, depending on your speakers, the Sony STR-DE997B/S may be totally bad -- as it was for me. The receivers in this range of Sony products just can't push out the power -- in multi-channel mode -- which they advertise. Nothing against Sony, it's just the state of the market. Everyone wants to buy by "WATTS PER CHANNEL".

What will give you better sound and greater listening pleasure, a.) matching your receiver with speakers which compliment it and b.) don't play the "watts per channel" game. On point (b), you can find receivers claiming many fewer WATTS PER CHANNEL (or TOTAL WATTS) -- usually 50% of that -- and be much more powerful and sonically pleasing to your ears. Your speakers will make as much difference, but electronics count too.

I'm sorry to have gotten off on a rant. I think the average consumer can benefit from not playing the watts game. It's sad but true. Depending on the person and what they're trying to do, I almost never recommend any Sony product unless the letters ES appear in the product model number.

Bronze Member
Username: Bleustar

Pensacola, Florida

Post Number: 23
I totally agree. Sony's lower end stuff is great on features and average at best on sound. That is going to be the concensus around here I believe.

Their ES line is not exactly best in class either, but IMO I would stay away from the STR series unless good sound is not a priority. There are better choices.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us