How can I tell if my speaker is about to blow out?

Unregistered guest
Hey all, I was just wondering this one question, and I am guessing you guys probably know what the answer is.

I am a bass player, playing through a Behringer Ultrabass BX3000T, and I have a Hartke VX215 going through it.

I know, this isn't a guitar amp, or bass amp discussion forum, but I don't want to talk about that in general. I was wondering, from just looking at your speakers at higher volumes, how can you tell if they are about to blow out?

The speakers are 2 x 15 in. Speakers, a Tweeter, and horn. But, how could I be able to tell if the 2 x 15's are about to blow?

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
You can't. If you think they might, TURN IT DOWN!

Unregistered guest
Hahahaha, yeah, but is there ANY physical sign?

Just wondering.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1183
1 physical sign is that they no longer move.

Bronze Member
Username: Fryguy

Barrington Passage, Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 45
You'll hear it start to sound funny when the voice coil starts to go (the pitch starts to increase as the voice coil over heats)(I purposely burnt out a few speakers, takes alot of over power to do it too!). As long as the surround and spider is in good shape on the speaker and your not over powering it you should be fine. Crank it up !

Bronze Member

Post Number: 46
Yah also if you hear any harsh raspy sounds its a damaged(torn)cone, spider or surround on the speaker. I had a speaker beat its self apart because of a torn cone at high volume (cheep paper cone).

ABC
Unregistered guest
when you no longer here them....LOL

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1203
well Kevin Mann i've blown many a speaker.

and i would say the first sign is smell! there is a
distinctive burnt speaker smell before they blow but
pretty much if you smell it then it's to late.

only thing i can say is play your speakers up until
they start to sound strained then back them off.

threre really isn't many warning signs.

if you play them past what they can handle they will just go.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
What most of the posts have described is the after effect of a blown speaker, how to tell it is blown out not how to tell it is about to blow. Maybe you could be the guy who designs a speaker with a little voice that comes on saying, "She can't take no more, she's gonna blow!" There's probably a market for that, though if you're playing it so loud that it's gonna blow you probably wouldn't hear the voice prompt. Maybe a siren and a red flashing light is needed. Anyway I've given you the idea, now it's your job to make it work and make millions and move to the Italian Riviera just to make me feel bad.
The best is Kegger's advice but, as he says, by the time you realize something is wrong it is already very wrong.
Just out of curiousity, why did you ask this question?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 84
The voice coil over heats and causes a impedance difference. If your a audiofile with a good ear you'll hear the tone differance (depending on the music your playing loud).
This is becuase a hot wire increases its resistance and when this happens the speakers voice coil specs change, altering the sound.
But you have to catch it fast or you'll over heat too much and then risk permante damage to the speaker.

A smell may also be apperent as it over heats, some you can feel the heat (with your hand close) radiate from the voice coil in fornt of the speaker.

Most speakers will bottom out when they are over driven (higher-end speakers may not). This is the voice coil/bobbin hitting the magnet/back plate or the former hitting the core. This makes a loud hitting/clipping noise.

Typicaly you have to be pushing huge amounts of power (120-150% speaker's RMS rating) into a speaker to blow the voice coil.

There is alot of indicators if you know what to look/listen for. Most of this is caused by over powering the speaker with more power then its meant to handle, if your not doing this then your typicaly fine.

Unregistered guest
Thanks guys, I really appreciate it!

I mean, I spent 600 bucks on this stuff, and I wouldn't just want it to blow up, you know what I mean?

But the head is only 300 watts, and the cab is 500. So, I assumed that is WAY under, so I would be good, but some people have said this head is strong and it can blow it out. Eh, I am not sure, I will look more into it.

Thanks for all your help guys, its MUCH appreciated.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 88
are they both RMS ratings or peak. you have to look out for that. RMS is almost half the peak rating. EX: a 800 watt speaker is aprox 400 watts RMS. For more info on this and more i got a few articles i wrote at http://fryguy.ca/Forum/viewforum.php?f=31
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us