Big help please. I MEAN IT.

CARDOSO
Unregistered guest
I have an onkyo sr 800 thx cert. and iwant to confine it as pre amp.options:1-ADCOM GFA7400/120X5 $650,00. 2-MARANTZ MM 9000/150X5 $600,00. 3-ACURUS A125X5 $700,00. 4-ROTEL RMB 1075 /120X5 $770,00. 5-B&K AV6000 $650,00. 6-B&KAV500 SERIES II $600,00.WHICH ONE WILL SOUND BETTER?MAIN SPEAKERS:YAMAHA NS-777 ,CENTER KLIPSCH SC3,SURROUND ONKYO SPEAKERS.

Silver Member
Username: Geekboy

Newport, RI United States

Post Number: 311
Cardoso: do you know why you want to do that? I wondering why you're wanting to go to a power amplifier? I ask, because I wonder if you should address your speakers first.

What are your listening habits? Are they mostly music, home theater, or a combination? I will be the first to admit, I haven't heard the Yamaha NS-777 speakers, but that's an odd pairing with the Klipsch SC3 center (I actually have the Klipsch SC3 and Klipsch CF-2s, but they're not in my main theater room).

The reason I'm being forward about the speaker question is, I'm wondering if you're looking for better sound... not better sound "re-inforcement".

Please let us know. Your question is a good one and I can't answer it because I don't know the Yamaha speakers. For the Klipsch -- since Klispch tends to be highly efficient (and bright) speakers -- I'd mellow them out with the Marantz or Rotel. You have very nice choices there... but I'm just wondering what you're really trying to do.

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 480
I agree. You should put all your money to get a better and uniform speaker system.

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1184
i would have to agree with my 2 compadre's there.

but just to say my oppinion would be the acuras or b&k would be the
better quality amps. if that helps any!

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 571
I also think your problem is a speaker problem. Sonically there is nothing wrong with the Onkyo 800. You need to buy a whole new speaker setup and your problem will be solved. Decide on a budget do from there.

ABC
Unregistered guest
man how many times does someone have to tell you
that you NEED SPEAKERS not an amp

i know i told you TWICE now its THREE

do you get it now

if not go buy the dam amp and be done with it

Silver Member
Username: Edison

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 480
I agree with everyone (except our joker ABC here).

onkyo 800 won the receiver of the year award at another audio sight - sounds ok to me although adding an acurus would help a little.

More substantial improvement can be had with speaker upgrades, like these :

http://www.ascendacoustics.com

They won many awards and after having them, if you still want to upgrade, I would go with the Acurus.

You can do even better for amp if you buy used at www.audiogon.com

That sight is good place to ask for advices too.

Your ears will thank you if you get upgrade the speakers to ascends - and they will sing even more with acurus or still better, aragon at www.audiogon.com

ABC
Unregistered guest
why are you telling him to buy the amp..i don't get it...
his yamaha speakers retail for $250...wouldn't you upgrade the speakers not the amp

his receiver retails for $900..thats good until he upgrades his speakers ...wouldn't you think so

Silver Member

Post Number: 487
The NS-777 are quite bad speakers. There's not much good to say about them. I can imagine a Klipsch center is horribly brigth and it does sound very different than the mains. The unmatched Onkyo surrounds aren't any better so I think it's pretty clear what he should do.

ABC
Unregistered guest
Thank You landroval

cardoso
Unregistered guest
for $1200 what is the best that i can get for my receiver?

Silver Member

Post Number: 488
Do you want a 5.0/7.0/5.1/... setup?

Maybe a Focal.JMlab Chorus S setup will match your Onkyo. 4x706S and 1xCC700S or 2x714S, 2x705S and CC70S. Then you could add some nice sub like a Velodyne CHT10/12 or similar.

Also B&W 600-series is ok. 4x601S3 and a LCR600S3 will make a fine system.

cardoso
Unregistered guest
5.1 IS THE SET UP. I already got 2 subs velodyne's.I would like to have towers for my mains , i also was wondering if i should keep my yamahs 4 surround or if it is a must to match all of them?

Silver Member

Post Number: 490
You can have different surrounds, it doesn't matter as much as different fronts and center. So maybe better to keep the Yamahas to get better fronts.

cardoso
Unregistered guest
thank you landroval and everybody else.what about axioms are they good?

ABC
Unregistered guest
axioms m60ti $800 fronts 8 Ohms
axioms vp 150 $350 center 6 Ohms

very sweet

Silver Member

Post Number: 492
_Oh_my_god_! The VP150 is the most horrible center speaker design I have ever seen! Why, why, why would you want to put two tweeters and at the ends of the spekers and three mid-drivers in between. I've not heard it, but the design is so against every basic rule of speakers that it cant be good in any way. I would avoid everything from a manufacturer who makes that kind of stuff. Happily no European magazine have had the opportunity to blow that oddity sky high...

ABC
Unregistered guest
my friend has that set up but with Q8 surround and it
sounds awsome...don't knock it tell you heard it

Bronze Member
Username: Bleustar

Pensacola, Florida

Post Number: 29
Axiom speakers have had plenty of industry praise. Innovative designs and great sound. It is not fair to knock a whole brand for one bad design.

cardoso
Unregistered guest
should i keep my sc-3 for center and get me a pair of klipsch rf-7for$1500,00 ?please help me i am trying to keep some of my gear i also whiling to spend about $1500, to get a better sund,by the way a missmatch sistem just like this one soundpretty good.I don'tknow if the receiver is 2 good or i'm lucky guy or the speaker sound very similar or that's cause i haven't heard a good sistem?thank you aalllll.obrigado,gracias, mercy.

Silver Member

Post Number: 493
Well, I at least wont buy any Axioms because of that. They're not imported in Finnland so I cant even listen to them. Innovative maybe, but a lot too innovative in my opinion.

I dont like Klipsch either, but if you do you should go and listen them and compare to some others and see how do you really feel about them.

Bronze Member

Pensacola, Florida

Post Number: 32
I would get a match set up for the front and center channel. With the brand you decide on.

Bronze Member

Pensacola, Florida

Post Number: 33
I would get a matched set up for the front and center channel. With the brand you decide on.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us