Speakers on the web

Username: Rlschneck

Post Number: 8
Hi,

who knows of a good website to shop for speakers. i'm not really talking price-wise. i would like to go to a site that offers good descriptions and reviews. i know that i should go to the stores to audition speakers in person, but i'm stuck at work right now and would like to browse.

Thanks!

Bronze Member
Username: Cornelius

Post Number: 32
ohmspeakers.com
The website isn't very impressive, but the speakers are.
here's a Microwalsh review:
http://6moons.com/audioreviews/walsh/micro.html

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1166
i'm not sure so much about reviews.

but audiogon.com has good used prices with some
general reviews by owners.

Bronze Member
Username: Danman

Post Number: 24
AXIOM Audio. Great stuff for the price! So many great reviews and a wonderful message board.

www.axiomaudio.com

Bronze Member
Username: Cornelius

Post Number: 33
Reviews ARE misleading. However, John's 6moons review is the first one that I saw before buying something - and actually agreed on - after hearing the product. Not that everyone else would, but it's enough to pass the time during work.

Post Number: 9
thank you, everyone, for your helpful suggestions. i will definitely check these sites out (good use of work-time huh).

here's a more technical question that I'm sure you guys can handle: as a newbie, should i concern myself with ohms? kegger, you've already seen my question about hz, so you have an idea of my level of understanding. basically i am trying to educate myself before i buy anything. i think i have a good grasp of the basics, e.g. audible range, good wattage, etc. but i know nothing of ohms, and what's important about that particular rating.

THANK YOU!

Bronze Member
Username: Danman

Post Number: 27
Your best bet is to stick with an 8 ohm speaker but many amps can hndle 4 ohms easiliy and it does have its benefits for volume as long as your equipment is up to it. Don't get too concerned over this as it is not really important today and your dealer or the company you choose will help you out.

For example, I was going to buy the M80 AXIOM. It is a 400watt 4ohm speaker. My Nad equipment could handle it easily but since I have an "A" and "B" channel and wanted to add a second pair of speakers, I opted for the M60 which is almost the same for sound. If I were to have bought the 4 ohm and mixed a second set, chances are I would be adding extra load to my amp that would make it hotter for no real benefits.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1171
R Schneck,
The impedance rating is very important when mating speakers to the receiver. If the impedance is too low, the receiver will work harder and may heat up and go into protect mode. Not a lot of receivers are built to handle a low impedance speaker.
I will vouch for Axioms as well :-)

Post Number: 10
Impedance!? This is the first I have heard of this. See, I asked my friend who is an electrical engineer for advice just so i would be able to ask you guys the right questions. And he told me about the 20hz to 20Khz stuff and told me that 100 watts per channel would be enough for what I wanted, etc. This impedance sounds especially important to me though, because i plan on purchasing a receiver after i have purchased my speakers, so i want to make sure that my components match (or else i would be in big trouble).

Also, since you seem very knowledgable, i will ask you this: my friend recommended infinity and boston acoustics, but browsing this forum, i see no mention of these brands. it seems that those of you "in-the-know" mention paradigm, axiom, athena, B&W, etc. a lot. what do you think, considering i'm an amateur but i still have a perfectionist's ears (oh, and there's that whole $ issue)

Thank you for all of your advice!

Silver Member
Username: Goldenarrow

Post Number: 127
You might want to read this, you seem to be good at collecting info:

http://www.audioholics.com/FAQs/000726_4ohm_speakers.php

The article doesn't say it specifically, but when it says "robust enough to pump out the extra current" is a way of saying that, if you get 4 ohm speakers, to make sure the amps are a "high current" design. Less ohms draws more current, therefore your amps must be able to deliver more current from your A/C mains without frying.

Also, if you look at speaker reviews where they measure the impedance (ohms) of the speaker throughout the whole audio spectrum, the ohms values actually change with the frequency measured.

An excellent example is the dynaudiona.com site reviews of the Audience 62 speaker, look at the sub-title "A Matter of Impedance" written by the "What HI-FI?" magazine:

http://www.dynaudiona.com/products/audience/62/aud62rev.htm

Hope this helps.
:-)

Jimvm
Unregistered guest
Try here: http://www.audioc.com/

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Thank you, goldenarrow, that does help. I feel like I may be ready to buy some speakers. Is anyone on this forum from new york city? i am in the city and i'm curious if there are good deals to be found on canal street or elsewhere.

Also anyone recommend a good model of infinity or boston acoustics?

Thanks!

Anonymous

Best advice to you is: listen before you buy. Reviews should not be taken as gospel. Also bear in mind that this forum is the same: Opinions.
At the end of the day you and your family have to be happy with your purchase. Not us!
Good Luck
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us